Seattle Genetics

Seattle Genetics President and CEO Clay B. Siegall

Clay B. Siegall

Not so great IT Leadership

Bothell, WA (US)

I worked at Seattle Genetics full-time for less than a year

ProsThis company will help save many lives. I like their vision and goals and where it's going. CEO is great. Benefits are competitive with other biotech company which tend to have great medical/dental/retirement plans. Seattle Genetics is no exception.

ConsThe IT department is old school and seems to be staying that way. Behind on everything. Lots of growing pains and completely reactive. The were transition when I was there and it seemed neither for better or worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some positive leadership within IT. Everyone was very negative and brought the energy way down when it needed it most. Find people you can stand by and won't throw you under the bus. Someone like the Director of Facilities who was positive uplifting and encouraging.

Tough place to work

I have been working at Seattle Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting technology with potential to discover a blockbuster drug
Growing company
Nice people

ConsThe middle management is very controlling and too involved in micromanaging daily details.
The information sharing is disorganized and usually without a clear purpose.
HR dismisses employee complaints and/or suggestions for improvement as irrelevant.
The career ladder requires most scientists to manage people, but the company does not train its scientists to be effective employee managers.
The IT department is lousy.
Not yet a profitable company
Top heavy, with more hiring in above than promoting from below

Loads of hard work! No break.

I have been working at Seattle Genetics

ProsYou get lots of exposure to technology, and opportunities to go the extra mile.

ConsPoor work life balance.
High stress.
Expected to perform above pay grade.

My Biggest Mistake

I have been working at Seattle Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay and nice location. A lot of truly great coworkers. The benefits are good. SeaGen's work makes a difference in people's lives.

ConsCertain managers have no clue how to lead or motivate employees. Understaffing and stifling micromanagement are not effective leadership styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time trying to get honest negative reviews removed from the internet and spent more time correcting the problems that lead to these reviews. Improvement starts by identifying your weaknesses, not erasing the evidence.

Life in the clinical SAS programming is very difficult

Senior SAS Programmer (Current Employee)
Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Seattle Genetics full-time for less than a year

ProsCutting edge in technology and standards. All the most recent standards and tools are deployed. Variety in work experience. Become a lead in a short time period.

ConsNo life. Very hard to get through a work day in the office. The head of clinical programming controls everyone by setting his own agenda and deciding what everybody else do and how they do it and when. The meetings are a one-man show where he calls the shots in a controlling talk. Others have to sit stiff and silent listening. No one shares their thoughts and ideas in an open and friendly atmosphere. The thought is that otherwise, they would be facing the wrath of the anger, translated as a threat to their financial livelihood. No smiles, laughs.. Just work and leave. Its made obvious that you are not trusted, your ideas, suggestions, questions are not welcome. Just do what is told and get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees live a little. Just because they are paid doesn't mean that you to have suck the last ounce of life out of them and prove that you are very efficient.

Toxic

I worked at Seattle Genetics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat chance to learn, great exposure to cutting edge technology, approved drugs that are helping cancer patients

ConsToxic, hostile, little room for growth, political, agenda driven, micro-managed

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh turnover will continue unless employees are supported.

Too few people with expertise and improper management of employee concerns

I worked at Seattle Genetics

ProsMarketed product truly makes a difference in patients' lives. Physicians have a positive view of Seattle Genetics. Cross-functional teams and task forces are very common. Organizational structure is appropriate. All company meetings keep employees informed.

ConsExpertise is limited thus leaving the SMEs with an enormous workload but without recognition from those who lack experience, including some in senior leadership roles. Direct communication is lacking. Personnel concerns are not addressed thoroughly or timely. Hiring/gaining additional resources is borderline impossible, in part due to lack of Senior Management experience across all functions of the company. All teams/personnel are not treated equally with regard to titles, pay and respect. Additional minor cons include: no onsite cafeteria, minimal vacation package, location.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommend Senior Leadership better understand the health of the employees and concerns they might have. It would be tragic to lose the talent that is experienced and can find work elsewhere.

People are very knowledgable

Fast approval

ConsGrowing pains
High turn over
Too inexperienced team
Not the greate place for talempnts to move over

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove it department

It's an ok place to work, but there are much better biotechs in Seattle.

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Seattle Genetics

ProsThe people. And really that's it.

ConsThey don't hire people who are intelligent very often. They definitely go for grades over common sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrades aren't as important as someone who can do the job. Don't ask someone who is very qualified what their GPA was when they've been out of college and proven themselves for over a year. You short the rest of us here when you do that.

hyper caffeinated managers can ruin your life

I worked at Seattle Genetics

Prosnice people, great product line

Constoo small, at the mercy of vendors

Advice to Senior Managementpeople who are legendary for being 'demanding' or 'aggressive' need to be kept in check. Supervisors who are under constant untreated stress need to be made aware that they can damage the culture with their behavior.

Worked for Seattle Genetics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Seattle Genetics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Seattle Genetics CEO Clay B. Siegall. All 10 reviews are posted anonymously by Seattle Genetics employees.