Schwan's

Updated 28 January, 2015
Updated 28 January, 2015
2.5

Dimitrios Smyrnios

Pros
  • My route had great customers, not all routes are that lucky (in 16 reviews)

• The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some long hours on occasion and must work weekends or days off to cover for holidays (in 63 reviews)

• It takes every bit of 12 - 14 hours to get over the bottom of the line commision hump (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Route Sales Representative

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative, Schwans in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative, Schwans in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

Salary + commission tied to your personal effort. Option to work 4 or 5 days after you have routes. To a degree the product sells itself, so if you provide friendly and steady service and use simple suggestive selling techniques, you should do quite well. Great entry level sales opportunity.

Cons

Hours can be excessive if you're not a self starter.Equipment is outdated and in short supply in many instances. Management is a mixed bag. The good ones came up through the company. The bad ones generally didn't, although there are exceptions.

Promote from within if you want the lower level management to actually lead the warehouse and sales floor.

Driver Sales

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Cool people U meet

Cons

Poor upper mgmt no people skills

Listen to your employees and care about the customers more

Lots of discord but still potential

Current Employee - Analyst in Marshall, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Marshall, MN (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule and good work life balance. New leadership seems sincere and strategy is simple enough. Good products, with a focus on quality and starting to weed out the management that is unwilling to adapt to change. Everyone is nice enough but definitely some small town click stuff in some departments.

Cons

Really low pay for the industry and the cost of living in Marshall. This appears to be systemic throughout the organization and seems to be a reason they can't keep talent. A lot of discord and with holding of information across functional areas of the business that makes it difficult to get your job done. Lack of discipline and direction in how businesses should run creates unnecessary stress if you are someone who takes pride in your work.

Fix pay structure and invest in marketing and advertising. Stay the course, you have a good plan, it just needs to be fine tuned and executed. Need to keep working on career path planning; a new tracking system for succession planning is not the same as actual opportunity.

RSR in Bowling Green

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Bowling Green, KY (US)
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Bowling Green, KY (US)

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

meet with customers every day and develop a relationship with each one (over 400 currently).
    work with other guys who share the same goals each day. a fun way to meet lots of new people.

Cons

14 hr. days. Some days you make less money than others. work outside in the elements. Hot days in the summer and cold days with some snow in the winter.

I like my job

Current Employee - Route Relief Driver in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Route Relief Driver in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the flexibility of not having bosses watch my every move. I like how what I do varies from day to day

Cons

Some early mornings and hard work. It can be hard to learn all the different routes for when you cover

If you are paying commission, trust the people you hire to sell enough so that you don't have to send out scripted orders. If they aren't doing enough, pay higher commission rates so they have more incentive

ehhhh

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

decnt pay decent boss good trucks

Cons

to many hours not enough pay IMO

Overall Decent Company to work for

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

Depending on your Supervisor, work life balance is average. Can work remotely if life happens, Benefits are average and co workers are willing to help coach you.

Cons

As exempt employee, you are expected to put in unlimited hours if you want recognized for your work. You can do excellent work in your 40 but not get recognized

VERY unpredictable , ever changing , unstable , unethical , non family friendly company

Current Employee - Production Worker in Florence, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Florence, KY (US)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid weekly, 1 week vacation after 6 months, another week vacation after a year

Cons

very limited training given, language barrier between employees, days and hours of work schedule subject to change at ANY time- 10 hr, 12 hr work days 6 days a week, small raises. HR department is a joke, constant management change, company policies are not enforced the same for everyone.

Show more gratitude to long time loyal employees, put people first , better balance between work and family

This is not for everyone!

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Pekin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Pekin, IL (US)

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

This is A job for a people peron,wich I am . You can meet mostly very nice people ,wich a couple I still talk too.but, as always there are still crabby people.
    You Aldo font have eyes on you from management all the time atleast not yeat, the do track you with gps though. My manager was a verry good manager I would give him a 8 out of 10, . But there are always bad ones out there I'm sure.

Cons

Where to start, the hours are most asurely 50-65 hours a week. And you have to work there is no slacking here and mostly commission base so if you want paid decently you have to sale and not be afraid to push a sale on someone
     Sometimes in spring and summer it can be a relaxing job aside from the long hours from home and family but winter and rainy days suck bad..

Do somthing about the builders building real prospects and not wasting our time with fake ones , and give us better hours mostly by fixing our ability to manage time windows, biggest wast of time and a huge stumbling block on everyone,