School District of Philadelphia

Updated 7 December, 2014
2.4

School District of Philadelphia Superintendent William R. Hite Jr
William R. Hite Jr

Pros
  • Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for Professional development (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape (in 4 reviews)

• selling off their responsibility for failing schools to charter schools and for-profit companies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern for Educational Research

Former Employee - Educational Research in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Educational Research in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at School District of Philadelphia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really great place to work. The managers are both friendly and understanding. Everyone works as a team and are willing to help you with anything.

Cons

Very limited resources! Start up is slow and it can be tough to get through HR, receive access badge, etc. Training was also quite slow but there is not much they can do with the little amount of resources they are given.

Really enjoyed it here! Keep up the great work!

Incredibly challenging urban teaching experience

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with students who desperately need you, and some great, dedicated co-workers.

Cons

Corrupt school leaders, zero supplies or support

Greater oversight of school leaders, flexibility to meet student needs

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

To help and to support the children with special disabilities.

Cons

Not knowing if you will have a job tomorrow with all cut backs and layoffs that have been going on.

Please stop laying off staff because our children need us.

It is what it is.

Current Employee - Visual Art Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Visual Art Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are paid based on your experience and highest level degree earned which amounts to a pretty decent salary. Also paid summers off.

Cons

Unfortunately the school district is ALWAYS struggling to find ample funding. As a teacher you will end up spending hundreds of dollars of your own money for basic materials. Students at many of the schools are in survival mode which makes teaching very difficult. If you want to do your job well you will spend hours of additional time at work every day and its very easy to become burnt out. The job feels thankless in many ways.

Stop blaming teachers for all of the problems. Just assume they are doing their best instead of undermining everything they do and trying to take away benefits.

I taught social studies for 21 years as a staff appointed teacher in high schools in the School District of Philadelphia

Former Employee - Staff Social Studies Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Social Studies Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It prepared me in reading, assessment, correction and evaluating the work of high school students.

Cons

Regarding pensions and health care, I retired at 62 and it was my best move. I am now 63.

My advice to them is to deal fairly with the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers.

School district of Philadelphia , School Police review.

Former Employee - School Police in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - School Police in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was so much to learn about providing security and crime prevention services in a school environment. You had to make sure that you monitored everything. Whatever you think might be suspicious , either persons and or a situation must be investigated. The welfare of the students and staff is job one. You also learn how to and when to contact emergency personnel and or police if needed. And you do get a chance to talk to young students about what they might want to do in life. Maybe give them a little advice about what you might know that could help them to make good decisions in there life.

Cons

You really need a lot of patience , and you must be smart in all that you do. Every day there something new to face. Everything from fights in the lunch room , to who might have stole the teacher's cell phone.

My advice to management is that they really need to have smaller class size. There are just to many students in a class room. I think that would help to make better learners. Teachers have a tough job as it is.

If you like to be verbally and physically abused this is the job for you

Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Summers off and great coworkers-Good benefits- decent salary if you can last more than five years

Cons

disrespectful and violent students
    unsupportive administration
    building facilities are crumbling - Most buildings are over seventy years old with one outlet in rooms and no air conditioning

get the hell out and save your sanity.

It is a very dysfunctional environment and there is always a great deal of anxiety about job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (healthcare, pension, etc.), nice people to work with.

Cons

No training for non-teacher staff, lack of support from administration, fear around job security, tons of red-tape.

Not a job but an adventure in Urban education

Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Teacher -- Masters +30 in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A chance to really help those that are in desperate need, Summers off,

Cons

Extremely difficult job working with under educated students and families. There is little or no family support given to my students. I work in one of the inner city high schools

Figure out a way to not only educate the students but educate the parents and guardians on how to be supportive of their children. Get through to them that education is the only way for them to get out of their situation.

Lots of instability, pay is ok.

Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Grants Compliance Monitor in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Pros

The pay is better here than the nonprofit I worked at before I came here. I like my co-workers.

Cons

There is constant funding crisis and talk of layoffs. It is very political - who gets promotions, who gets laid off, who knows who, the unions vs non-union, etc. They recently published everyone's salary on the internet, which is not great for morale in the office. I've learned some things from this job, but I never really got the challenge that I wanted and I feel like I am trapped in a system without any power to change things.

I've talked to my boss about wanting more work (I'm bored!) and she said she would keep me in mind, but hasn't actually given me any more work.

School District of Philadelphia Photos

440 N. Broad Street (Administration Building)

+ Add Photo