Schneider

Schneider Reviews

Updated Jul 08, 2014

Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren

Chris Lofgren

Pros
  • Starting pay & benefits are good(in 13 reviews)

• Some good people have stayed and have not left yet(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • big and some times you can be lost in the mass of people, as you move up work/life balance takes a hit(in 11 reviews)

• The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay(in 8 reviews)

A great place to work

ProsCareer advancement opportunities are plentiful

Consnot perfect but overall a great place

Sales Account Executive

Prosyoung work environment, great location downtown and flexible hours

Consday got to be somewhat repetitive of making around 100 cold calls each day, not much chance for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that are knowledgable and smart, don't just promote successful account executives

Truth in Reviews....

Driver Associate (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI (US)

ProsMost of the operating centers have On-Site PT, a restaurant (of some sort), Vending machines, shop services (depending on whether you've made an appointment or not 2-5 days in advance).

ConsCompany values. Division of Revenue (no dividend plan for employees based on excellent quarterly revenue), No APU Units, Maintenance is spotty in performance and timely execution of labor, upper management and associates in corporate office are concentrating more on the bottom line than the drivers, as it was the opposite several years ago. Expect to pay 100$ a week for a family of 3 when it comes to Insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of spending money on the "Haul of Fame" or any other ridiculous additions to the corporate structure, maybe you would consider just awarding the drivers in a less 'immortal' sense. Invest in a maintenance structure that reflects the performance of Honda Service Quality or GM's service systems and outlines for execution of service. In addition, when it comes to the comfort of the driver, have a corporate representative try to sleep in a 65 degree truck with 80-100% humidity. Some drivers can't breathe when the humidity is high. I am one that has a mild issue, but not a big issue. APU units would greatly help the drivers be able to feel more like they're "At Home" and in return make the driver perform at an increased pace. Growth comes from quality, not quantity. This was something Schneider was based on years ago. DON'T issue NEW trucks to new drivers. I started in 2006 with a 2002, everyone else should do the same. If you're a driver with safety longevity, you should be entitled to newer equipment. Just sit down and look at it from the driver's perspective instead of from a dollar perspective.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

stable work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI (US)

Prosstable company that has been around for a long time, the benefits are good and the people are very nice. They give plenty of time off and a good work - life balance. Management allows for people to make decisions.

ConsNothing you have done before you started at Schneider counts as experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to differentiate between the people who work hard and deserve a promotion and the ones who network well but do not have a good work ethic. Be careful not to discount experience as an asset.

Cold Calling and Luck of the Draw

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsM-F, Downtown, Young Office, Mostly energetic

Cons150 Cold calls a day
    Management is not true management, just people who were good account executives
    Hope you get lucky and make the right cold call otherwise you're screwed
    Creepy, older management guys.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real managers, not account executives that have been there longest.

A lot of talk from middle and upper managers but no action for frontline managers.

Fleet Manager (Former Employee) Haslet, TX (US)

ProsSNI had a good education reimbursement program for managers that have since been cut back. Working with the drivers as a team was great, working together to help them earn a good living and have a good life balance as far as a driver goes.

ConsMiddle Managers that constantly put out fires instead of preplanning or foreseeing the issues. Even when frontline Fleet Managers would ask questions or make suggestions they are pushed aside and bad things happen in the operation then. Communication in management is dismal at best especially in Texas Intermodal. Managers are promoted by how well they can agree with upper management, not by experience and foresight.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the Fleet Managers. The station managers are generally going to tell you what you want to hear. If you really care for the truth the Fleet Managers will tell you. Then again I'm not sure you wanted to hear the truth about inter office relations and neglect. Actually follow up on the "Core Values" you talk about. If someone utilizes the education reimbursement they probably want grow in the company, don't blockade that, use their knowledge.

good company to start driving for to gain experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are very understanding especially with new drivers. they take into consideration the problems you report on the highways and so forth when they plan the loads for you.

Consnot too much home time but that happens with just about any company but other than that I have no complaints about them

Good while it lasted.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReported to an outstanding leader while I was there. Company is very big, and has the financial strength to offer its employees excellent benefits.

ConsCompany is not very loyal. Stability for anyone is highly questionable. They go through people quite a bit, and don't think twice about eliminating jobs regardless of many years of service and loyalty. They also make promises they have no intention of keeping just to get what they need out of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwnership and executive management needs to get more involved in the decision making and people skills of their senior managers that create disharmony in the organization, and come to the realization that they didn't get where they are predicated on their current position in the market place. I know this type behavior was not Don Schneider's vision.

It's a job

ProsAs long as you do a good job you will have a job

ConsYour ability to move around in the company depends too much on your leaders oppinions

excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit is a good company

ConsI have any bad things

Worked for Schneider? Contribute to the Community!