Schlumberger

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.6 1,365 reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard

Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up(in 30 reviews)

• Work environment Good also with fun and rewarding(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family(in 193 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics(in 45 reviews)

1,365 Employee Reviews

Challenges abundant!!

ProsYou'll never get bored. Great training

ConsIt is a demanding work environment

Field Engineer - Tough Physical Working Conditions, Good Potential in Company

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsLarge career potential within the company if one survives the 3-4 year training period.

ConsPhysically challenging, work in remote environments far from civilization (800km+) (if you work for SLB Canada). Skills learnt on the job are very company & job specific and not transferable at all to other industries, companies or even within the same company. Pay is rather low for the adverse working conditions.

good development yet bad tradition

Junior Field Engineer (Current Employee) Red Deer, AB

Prosthe training is excellent, fixed step programs, the company really helps u to understand the operation

Consschedule, rotation, the first 6 months witihn the company will be the hardest one

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Schlumberger - potentially a great place to work (if you want it to be)

Employee (Current Employee) St. John's, NL

Pros- the company offers excellent training and opportunities
    - there are very few companies that offer the life experience you will get with Schlumberger

Conswork - life balance is poor and opportunities can be quite random (just being in the right place at the right time).
    Benefits seem to be deteriorating over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are still (supposed to be) our most valuable asset ...

Field Eng.

ProsGood formation, good people, and great organisation

ConsThe life style. You have to be a hard worker.

Very professional.

ProsIndustry leader. Research and developement of new technologies is excellent.

ConsTend to try to control all aspects of the employee's life.

Advice to Senior ManagementRely less on educational background and more on work experience when hiring and promoting at the field level.

to many lies

Eo II (Current Employee) Grande Prairie, AB

Prosvery safe company there is a test for everything!!!!!

Cons9 out of 10 employees don t last a year at this place. that should tell them they are doing something wrong

Overall very rewarding

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training and development programs, true multi-national culture. Sky is truly the limit

ConsProcess fat! Too much time is spent on following process or working for the system instead of making the system work for us.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe lean on the process side of things

Structured and intense, intolerant of outside influence, great training ground.

Field Service Manager (Former Employee) Brooks, AB

ProsExcellent, world class training. Great safety culture. New technology is critical to success. World renowned organization. World wide operations. Lots of opportunity.

ConsYou LIVE the Schlumberger CULTure or you don't last. A lot of hours required when on salary. Expect to be relocated every 1.5 - 2.5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employee base is important. I know your values are PEOPLE, PROFIT, TECHNOLOGY in that order...so make sure you demonstrate your values in that order. Don't ignore the employees without an engineering degree, there are some incredibly talented people in your midst.

I have worked for MI-SWACO for over than 10 years .

Drilling Fluids Specialist (Current Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsI enjoy my job very much so I prefer to continue my work for the same Company.

Consmaybe her system of rotation.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!