Samsung Research America

Updated 22 January, 2015
Updated 22 January, 2015
3.4

Daniel Eum

Pros
  • They're hiring good people, and they're challenging them to do great work (in 4 reviews)

• Fair salary, good benefits and good bonuses (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The management level is eager to please our Korea HQ, but constantly fails to convince (in 8 reviews)

• This is a korean company within Silicon Valley - literally (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A lot of smart people to work with

Current Employee - Staff Research Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Research Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Samsung Research America

Pros

Excellent Health Benefits.
    Work extra hours in terms of work life balance.
    New campus opened in mountain view

Cons

Decision making relies heavily on HQ and less autonomy on decision.

Excellent leadership team, innovation, research, what else can one ask for

Current Employee - Technical Project/Program Manager in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Project/Program Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Advanced Software Platform Lab has an excellent leadership team and provides a great place for cutting edge research. interesting problems, talented team, and worthwhile research directions.

Cons

Some difficulties with culture but things are changing rapidly,

Keep up the good work, looks far into the future, stay positive.

Great place to work

I worked at Samsung Research America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Highly organised, efficient on boarding, transparent management, excellent Helpdesk representatives.

Cons

Lots of short contracting roles, but likely to get rehired or moved to another department in same building.

Having a great time creating things the world has never seen.

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fair performance evaluation. Sought after innovation. Best performance gets rewarded. Great health insurance plan. Decent 401k plan. Decent perks compared to other Silicon Valley companies.

Cons

No RSUs. No free food.

More innovation. Less process. More perks!

Fabulous HR team

I have been working at Samsung Research America

Pros

Great group of team members I have ever interacted with. My HRBP truly cares!

Cons

Policies can be difficult at times, which can delay processes

Great products but not a great place to work

Former Employee - Director of Research in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Research in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Samsung Research America

Pros

I really like Samsung products. The reason I went to work at Samsung was because I already owned a large number of Samsung devices ranging from televisions to DVD players and a washing machine. Samsung is a strong fast follower in any market they put their mind to. The pay was strong but without stock options. Bonus paid out at about 85% of target.

Cons

After working at Samsung, I am amazed that they are able to be successful. The culture is dominated by fear (do this or you won't have a project next year) and micromanagement from headquarters (Korea). Samsung claims to value innovation but provides the most suffocating culture I have ever worked in. The overall environment was based on vague requests in another language and an inherent bias against asking questions (just do what we say).

Equally important is that all decisions (important or otherwise) are made in the Korean time zone using the Korean language. Results are not send out so US employees are pretty much in the dark. As far as I could tell, its impossible to influence strategic thinking from the United states. My boss was the President of an SRA group and even he had little to no influence over directions, assignments or funding.

If you want Samsung to be a leader, you must drive innovation. More importantly, you must provide an environment where innovation is possible. You should reward risk taking, establish long term research goals and empower a team to reach those. Stop with the daily reports and enable senior leaders in the US to actually build and run innovative teams.

Samsung TV Innovation Lab NYC

Current Employee - Senior R&D Coder in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Coder in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. people love programming, love what they do and are fun to work with. Very little room for ego. Just be good at your job, technically, and everyone will see it.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive with google / facebook + samsung is not a sexy brand name in soft dev, so it's hard to get really good people to work here. The talent in the NYC innovation lab, is still here from the boxee days

Either find a way to make this place feel way more like a startup or find a way to get the good parts of being a corporate, like lots of paid training, pay for your employees graduate / post graduate degrees, etc. Either try to compete with startups or try to compete with Google. It will make it easier to recruit and keep good people

Engineer

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefit and working environment, working with smart people

Cons

Major decision is controlled by HQ in Korea

Work under the right manager, and you'll be fine here

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Samsung Research America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The quality of your experience here is highly dependent on which team you belong to and who your direct manager is, how capable he is, and whether his agenda is in line with your best interest or not. This can affect every aspect of your day-to-day experience, including how flexible your hours are and how many meetings you must attend, and how much time left you have to do the actual work. This is actually true of most places. Except here the vetting process of project managers seems pretty random, with some favoritism thrown in, therefore the quality of the managers varies by a wide range compared to other corporations.

Cons

Working with S. Korea HQ is a nightmare due to language and cultural barrier. They will micromanage you.
    If your manager is from Korea, don't take the job. Your life will be filled with stress.

IT infrastructure is subpar, but they are trying hard to improve it.

Upper management is not going to listen, so advice here is useless.

Samsung Research America Photos