Sage Hospitality

Updated 17 February, 2015
Updated 17 February, 2015
3.4

Walter L. Isenberg

Pros
  • This company really cares, and really values its employees (in 3 reviews)

• Great people, and great work environment (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay scale, management in constant turmoil, lack of any good leadership leading to much misbehavior from management on site (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of involvement by corporate management at the property-level (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hotel Management, Disorganized

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only enjoyable part about working in a hotel with awful guests are the coworkers.

Cons

Lack of personal and professional growth working in hospitality unless your managing. Gives no opportunity for hourly employees to move up

A Great Company with Excellent Leadership

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very Strategic Company
    Wonderful Leaders
    Professional Development Opportunities
    Tons of Support
    Company has Growth Potential

Cons

Systems are not intuitive
    Hotels in their portfolio could be dropped/sold

None, Great Job

Extreme disfunction

Former Employee - Busser, Food Runner, Bar Back in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Busser, Food Runner, Bar Back in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees, tips are high in general, free food

Cons

Completely disjointed and unorganized management, little appreciation for what employees do, will work you to the bone if you let them.

Get in touch with your employees and treat them like people. Don't focus solely on the bottom line.

Company means well, but is growing far too fast for its infrastructure.

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement, growing company, company enjoys fun things like parties. My property and most leadership is great

Cons

Human Resources frequently misleads employees, money-grubbing in lots of little ways, made some poor manager-level hiring decisions

Central Human Resources has been giving incorrect information to many employees, particularly those who are less likely to ask in the first place (ESL speakers, part-time or on-call employees that don't work 9-5, people less educated about their rights and options as workers). In addition, having every single department complain about an executive-level manager and not doing anything about it is pretty unacceptable. Their orientation is 3 1/2 hours long, and it is 50% the presenter joking around, 20% "team-building" games, 10% watching videos from 1990 (complete with the presenter making fun of them), and 20% actual work-related content. They couldn't tell me what uniforms would look like or how long you had at the beginning of your shift before you were late. Very helpful.

Lastly, in my department specifically, there was a manager who was essentially toxic. Everyone complained about them, they regularly publicly humiliated their employees, and no one did anything about it. This department has very little cohesiveness and is rarely happy unless this manager is out of the office.

Great people - but something is missing

Former Employee - Global Office Associate in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Global Office Associate in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office for > 5 yrs. I enjoyed my peers, the office, and interacting with the properties. I saw good intentions from nearly every person i interacted with in my office. We had a lot of fun and there was specific effort to create a relaxed atmosphere - including corporate office events, casual dress code, and community service work.

Cons

Senior leadership was lacking for years. There were big changes made in the corporate office over the last two years - but I did not have a chance to see if the move toward developing true leaders has started a much needed evolution.
    insurance premiums were cheap, but actual coverage was not good. Glad I had a flex spending account.

There are people in leadership positions simply because they have experience - not because they are knowledgeable about leading others. Experience does not make a leader. Experience also does not guarantee a person will be strategic, dynamic, or visionary - and those qualities are important to this company's goals. Keep the employees with experience, but consider not placing them in leadership positions. Handing out big titles, particularly "VP", simply because a person has been around a long time, is not a smart practice. Possessing blind loyalty can be a big mistake.
    You're all good business people - use facts and instincts versus "the good ol boy" approach. Best wishes..

It's been good to me - Nines Hotel Location

Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Growing, awesome coworkers, full cafeteria, decent benefits, and solid upper management. Ive been here for a few years and all in all it has been my favorite Portland job.

Cons

I have bumped heads with a few of their policies but it isn't anything out of the ordinary for restaurants. Dont expect special treatment.

Choose supervisors a little more carefully.

Not too bad

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sage Hospitality

Pros

Pay, good location, meet ok people from all over the place with different stories.

Cons

Management sometimes can run around like a chicken with their head cut off.

See above.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In a large market there are advancement opportunities. And in the industry one of the standard perks is the reduced room rates at properties across the company.

Cons

As with any job in the hospitality industry your work schedule is determined by factors outside of your control. There are "blackout" dates based on occupancy when you can't take leave or vacation. Once you understand and accept that it's okay.

Night Auditor

Current Employee - Night Audit in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Night Audit in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Sage Hospitality full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Networking, large company good way to grow if your a hard worker and understand how to use it. Good befits, average Pay

Cons

Just like with the pros, its a big company. It is very easy to get lost in the pack you have to fight for it. Systems are out dated limited budget for new tools.

Training for new hire's. Valuing current employees better, I hit my two year mark and no one said anything.