Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,116 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Alot of work

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people and the environment are great great great and the managers are fantastic! ha ha ha ha ha

Cons

You have to give two weeks notice to have a day off. Carts suck. running your toes over and everything and smashing your fingers

Great

Great place to work, most of the time

Former Employee - Pic  in  Ketchikan, AK (US)
    Former Employee - Pic in Ketchikan, AK (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

If your an employee that is willing to do your job, work hard and show your skills, they will start giving you more responsibilities. You can be promoted within!

Cons

As with any other business, if it is slow your hours get cut. This is something you should know if you have worked in retail.

Listen and care about your employees. We will work hard and make Safeway look good, if we know we are cared about.

A great learning experience

I worked at Safeway

Pros

able to work around school schedules

Cons

never able to meet time requirements, too much work not enough time

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, health care are good. Room to move up.

Cons

Some people work really hard, others do not for the same pay.

Very corporate environment with hyper-specialization of roles.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time

Pros

Great pay and not overworked.

Cons

They are really cheap. If you work late they don't pay for dinner.

You will never be good enough or reach the carrot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the people that I work with and have made lifelong friends due to working here for nearly 3 decades. The benefits for a union employee are unmatched in any other job you will find. $48 a month is a fraction of what it seems you pay everywhere else. This has to be weighed heavily against a wage that is below average as if definitely help even up the scale somewhat.

Cons

There is no loyalty from the corporate level. They will promote someone from the safety of the union into a backstage management position when they already know that position will be eliminated in a month or two. They do endless time studies to determine it takes a minimum of 10 hours to due a task and then only give you 8 hours to complete it and hold you accountable for not completing something that they have determined is impossible to actually do. They give you targets that are unattainable, bonus matrixes that are unachievable and take all decision making out of your hands but hold you accountable for the results of someone's from corporate's decisions that have probably never worked in a store. They have also whittled training down to almost nothing, but expect employees to miraculously be able to perform at a high level right away. Corporate makes poor decisions on a regular basis and refuses to listen to the cries of experienced employees that try to proactively prevent bad things from happening. Corporate makes decisions that often make no sense to store employees and cause the company to lose money, but then hold the store accountable for the inventory losses that their bad decisions have caused. The moral throughout the company is at an all time low and approaching a pending merger, no one feels safe. I would not recommend ANYONE attempt to work for Safeway until the dust settles form the merger as your job will not be secure at all.

Listen to your employees, the ones that actually work or regularly visit the stores. By allowing the gap between the minimum wage and a journeyman to get closer and not increase on an equal level, you have lost all incentive for anyone to strive to be a retail dept head. When there is so much responsibility and stress with no pay incentive as they make the same as someone who sands in the checkstand all day, why would they manage a dept.? We are losing all of our good employees because we ever allow them to feel like they are doing a good job or reward them for doing so. Case in point; planning retreat for all management and backstage 2 years in a row as a reward and team building, dropping $250k as a non refundable deposit on this retreat, and then canceling it 2 years in a row and telling your employees that they are not truly valued, only the stockholders are.

Well managed company

Current Employee - Grocery Cerk  in  San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Grocery Cerk in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great prices, friendly staff, Great promotions and very convenient. Good benefits to long term employees. Well knowledgeable personnel. Overall a good company to work for.

Cons

No communication from management to lower level. Some stores are not well maintained and are in dire need to be fixed. Some stores have rude clerks and do not care about customer satisfaction.

Please hire more competent people

I worked as a courtesy clerk, checker, and produce manager for safeway.

Former Employee - Produce Manager  in  Greeley, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Produce Manager in Greeley, CO (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic customer service, great management, flexible scheduling.

Cons

Large amount of guidelines to follow, can be petty sometimes.

Stay closely connected with your employees

A good place to get your first job

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk and Checker  in  Woodinville, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk and Checker in Woodinville, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting new people and gaining experience needed for future jobs.

Cons

You have to join the union and sometimes you won't qualify for the benefits because you're either a students and already covered by your parents.

More ways to show appreciation towards employees.

Courtesy Clerk

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, Union, 24 hour/week guaranteed, easy job

Cons

management, union, scheduling, lack of communication, customers suck, nepotism, favoritism, etc

Learn to motivate and set goals, make an appropriate schedule, set a better example

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!