Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,094 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked as a technician and later an intern while going to pharmacy school.

I worked at Safeway

Pros

At the time I worked as intern I was scheduled to work around my school schedule and could be there when I wanted but did not work in place of a technician like many other companies required.

Cons

I always intended on staying with the company and was offered a job after graduation, but was not guaranteed hours or a home store. Salary is competitive.

Pharmacy staff levels are dismall.

Flexible job with meaningful benefits

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits , flexible with school if you attend. I'm A courtesy clerk in the city so they give you minumun 16 hours but that's not every week it's actually more depending on how big the store is. There is a union that has your back. Great relationships with customers.

Cons

Strict dress code, no raises for courtesy clerks, my store magagers are careless bout personal issues that may affect your attendance , they expect you to do multiple duties without proper training like floral, or bakery work. The store I work for constantly runs out of shopping courts and the store look like it need more help in many departments . Late night long lines not enough cashiers or baggers. Than they expect you to do all go backs also.

Resolve the Problem with shopping courts your loosing money and wasting customers time coming to the store. Need more help at night like more cashiers and other help in many other departments.

Safeway is a great job to build a career .

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits! Paid holiday, vacation! And since you can only get hired for part time. It is the only company I know of that gives you full benefits on only 24 hrs a week.

Cons

Poor communication between management. If you become a dept. Manager you will work 60 hours but only get paid for 40. Too much work and not enuf ppl. You give them 150% and they want more. It will never be enuff. Thr more you give the more they expect.

Communication is vidal for success. Talk to your assistants even tho they are all 10 i mean in there 20s. Be a mentor guide them through instead of just throwing them out there. They hav no ppl skills. That is a trait that is not inherited it is taught! So teach them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst store manager at 1494 Spokane, WA !!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great co-workers, great assistance manger, medical and dental, union , good company to work for --just not at this store (or at least with this manager)

Cons

store manager wants us to spy on other coworkers and report back to him so he can write them. ALWAYS looking for a write up, as a helper clerk, I started at min. wage & 9 years later still @ min. wage! always hires younger guys for the "hard" work and ladies only courtesy clerks/ clean up . The guys never last but got a raise. Manager always in office with coffee instead of helping in checking, always hiding, spying on employees. Would leave , but need the money!!!
    Was dating a coworker in secret & promoted her to man. at a different store, promoted her daughter to man. No one trust you which is sad.Your friends can do no wrong( come in late, carry cell phones) and the rest of us get written up

Get rid of the current store manager, put the 2nd in command in full charge, leave personal problems at home, stop lying and denying something when caught, give raises to hard WORKERS- not just your friends or guys, this is a big store---get more hours!!!! Work outside your office and be a team player!!! Smile and help customers during the re-model, show you care about them!! Hard to get promoted with him- unless friends with him.

Pretty good so far, small tweaks then it's great

Current Employee - Checker  in  East Flagstaff, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Checker in East Flagstaff, AZ (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

The workers are nice and I like that you get paid every week. College students schedules are flexible and nice. You get a lot for your money. And having the safeway club card is a must I rang up a customers groceries and it saved her about 40 dollars.

Cons

Breaks are short if you get one. U was told you only get one uniform shirt and you have to buy more on the website. That's not fair at least give you two. And there's no jackets or aprons as a cashier, I thought they want to at least let you look uniformed through the whole store and neat.

Make sure the new hires are being trained and watched correct my because I just started and I have asked more questions to staff then my do called mentors (if I could keep up with finding them).

Was okay in the beginning but not at the end.

Former Employee - Nite Crew  in  Napa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Nite Crew in Napa, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people and good benifits

Cons

Alot of stress with high volume ordering and stocking. And alot of overtime and conflicted with my personal life..

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary is good, benefits are good great employees

Cons

Work life balance does not exist at store level

The ladder is there. Climb it.

Current Employee - Second ASM
    Current Employee - Second ASM

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Safeway is all about promoting those who go after the promotions. You are not going to be given anything. You will have to earn it. In saying that, I started as a helper clerk and within 16 months I was a 2nd ASM (Assistant Store Manager). Was it easy; no. I worked hard and constantly looked for every opportunity to advance myself.

Cons

Some stores are located in remote locations. When the ability to hire qualified, or any, help is not happening, you will find yourself requested to work long hours.

Wages in some areas are not as competitive as they could be. Better quality employees could be hired if the wages were competitive or exceeded the local competition.

Reliable place to work.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone is supportive and driven, there are few surprises if any. A good 8-5 job rarely requiring any overtime, good work life balance.

Cons

Not many young people and few perks. Feels like an old and aging company. Not willing to really invest in employees.

Focus on getting new talent

C.S. Manager

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Pay is pretty decent for the job duties.

Cons

Difficult to give money away to customers all day!

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!