Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,103 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work environment

Former Employee - Billing Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, diversity, great managers

Cons

Many long term employees. Hard to advance within the company.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Oakland, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work and good work environment.

Cons

there really not much cons to say.

Great work life balance and great way to grow.

Pleasant, good first job

Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk  in  Fountain, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Clerk in Fountain, CO (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can move up into higher positions that pay well

Cons

It can take a long time to get promoted

Should train employees better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not too bad

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

You can cash your paychecks at customer service, the registers are pretty simple and you get paid every Friday.

Cons

They start you off minimum wage no matter what experience you have, they don't give long enough breaks.

Loved my job

I worked at Safeway full-time

Pros

Safeway is a family oriented company, They want you there for the 8 hours they are paying you for, then they want you to go home to your family.

Cons

I would have stayed there till I retired, but my department relocated to the corporate office in California

Come back to Phoenix

Safeway is a great job to build a career .

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits! Paid holiday, vacation! And since you can only get hired for part time. It is the only company I know of that gives you full benefits on only 24 hrs a week.

Cons

Poor communication between management. If you become a dept. Manager you will work 60 hours but only get paid for 40. Too much work and not enuf ppl. You give them 150% and they want more. It will never be enuff. Thr more you give the more they expect.

Communication is vidal for success. Talk to your assistants even tho they are all 10 i mean in there 20s. Be a mentor guide them through instead of just throwing them out there. They hav no ppl skills. That is a trait that is not inherited it is taught! So teach them!

Worked as a technician and later an intern while going to pharmacy school.

I worked at Safeway

Pros

At the time I worked as intern I was scheduled to work around my school schedule and could be there when I wanted but did not work in place of a technician like many other companies required.

Cons

I always intended on staying with the company and was offered a job after graduation, but was not guaranteed hours or a home store. Salary is competitive.

Pharmacy staff levels are dismall.

Flexible job with meaningful benefits

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits , flexible with school if you attend. I'm A courtesy clerk in the city so they give you minumun 16 hours but that's not every week it's actually more depending on how big the store is. There is a union that has your back. Great relationships with customers.

Cons

Strict dress code, no raises for courtesy clerks, my store magagers are careless bout personal issues that may affect your attendance , they expect you to do multiple duties without proper training like floral, or bakery work. The store I work for constantly runs out of shopping courts and the store look like it need more help in many departments . Late night long lines not enough cashiers or baggers. Than they expect you to do all go backs also.

Resolve the Problem with shopping courts your loosing money and wasting customers time coming to the store. Need more help at night like more cashiers and other help in many other departments.

Pretty good so far, small tweaks then it's great

Current Employee - Checker  in  East Flagstaff, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Checker in East Flagstaff, AZ (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

The workers are nice and I like that you get paid every week. College students schedules are flexible and nice. You get a lot for your money. And having the safeway club card is a must I rang up a customers groceries and it saved her about 40 dollars.

Cons

Breaks are short if you get one. U was told you only get one uniform shirt and you have to buy more on the website. That's not fair at least give you two. And there's no jackets or aprons as a cashier, I thought they want to at least let you look uniformed through the whole store and neat.

Make sure the new hires are being trained and watched correct my because I just started and I have asked more questions to staff then my do called mentors (if I could keep up with finding them).

The ladder is there. Climb it.

Current Employee - Second ASM
    Current Employee - Second ASM

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Safeway is all about promoting those who go after the promotions. You are not going to be given anything. You will have to earn it. In saying that, I started as a helper clerk and within 16 months I was a 2nd ASM (Assistant Store Manager). Was it easy; no. I worked hard and constantly looked for every opportunity to advance myself.

Cons

Some stores are located in remote locations. When the ability to hire qualified, or any, help is not happening, you will find yourself requested to work long hours.

Wages in some areas are not as competitive as they could be. Better quality employees could be hired if the wages were competitive or exceeded the local competition.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!