Safeway

Updated Jul 20, 2014

2.8 1,020 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days(in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models(in 46 reviews)

1,020 Employee Reviews

Bakery Clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere's never a dull moment in the bakery. You will always have something to do.

ConsYou are not paid for the amount of you work you complete. The Union is as useful as beans when it comes to your benefits as anyone who has worked less than 10 years for the company, and they don't take in account any prior retail experience you have when it comes to pay grade. No hazards pay.

OK

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA (US)

ProsUnion company (great health care)

ConsMicromanagement issues, can be too much at times...

like any Grocery store job!

Cashier (Former Employee) Olney, MD (US)

Pros*Union - increases in pay every quarter(by a few cents), quick action on complaints,
    *10% employee disc.
    *just for You program.
    * they will standup for the integrity of their cashiers which is great.

Cons*Schedule - they can change the schedule one day bfr the actual date and you won't know
    *growth - depending on the requirements of the store and the management there are extremely low chances of growth
    *seniority rule - whoever got hired first gets to go on vacation first. let say you put your vacation weeks in advance but someone who has been working there for more than you puts it in a request few days bfr the date gets the vacation or time off.
    *bunk/dump rule - individual hired bfr you can take ur day off or vacation time. results in negative feelings among coworkers

Advice to Senior Managementavoid favoritism, audit your senior management and have retail level staff give in suggestions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked with great people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Missoula, MT (US)

ProsThe best reason to work here are the people you work with. Genuinely great people who are team players. The health benefits are wonderful. Being paid weekly was great as well.

ConsBeing understaffed. Seeing people and more people come and go. You try to stick it out and hope that things get better, that people will get hired so that you're not just one person doing the work of three people and only getting paid for doing the job of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people who work hard an incentive to continue to work hard.

Sometimes great, worse store manager

Stocker (Current Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

Prosmedical and dental plans are great!

ConsGetting a raise is very difficult, unless you want to apply for a promotion or you're a favorite of the manager. Get written up for anything. You're always at fault , never get a thank you if you stay longer or come in when they call you. Not enough hours for helper clerks to get things done. Store manager always in the office or at Starbucks talking and laughing. Hates to check or smile or help customers because HE needs to finish HIS job. Has a habit of turning employees against each other and lies to us so we don't know who to trust!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a NEW store manager!!! Not someone who lets his friends use their cell phones and write up others or have their friends file empty even though they come in late! Give hard working employees a raise and not just the guys ( they work a few months get a raise and leave). The ladies that actually stay and work for years make the SAME as those walking in and starting!! Love that "thanks for staying and you're hard work". I tell friends to go to another Safeways to work.

Nice first job for me.

Bookkeeper/Boothclerk (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA (US)

ProsGot to meet different people and different personality. There are some people that are great to work with.

ConsLow salary, making you work as a clerk even if you are the bookkeeper.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training.

Mixed, a few years back excellent environment, currently seems to be unstable.

Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsSound off is to take care of patients, medical therapy management, superior customer service.

ConsStaffing and labor model don't quantify with what corporate wants to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Labor Model

Mixed feelings about Safeway

Corporate (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsThere are some really good people at Safeway. There is a good work/life balance. They have a great fitness center. They recently relaxed the dress code to include jeans. The opportunity to grow is about average. A lot of what you will experience is dependent on what department you work in.

ConsThere are also some really old school, power hungry people that can make your life miserable. The healthcare policies are way to invasive and personal.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with your employees and try not to tell them how to run their personal lives.

Loved working for them, started as cart clerk, within 1.5 yrs was mgr. of the floral dept!!

FTD Floral Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsThe company was always great to me, they supported me and pushed me hard through the ranks. They saw my potential and stood behind me and was always helping me to get the training I needed to accomplish what I needed to do. The management put me into all areas of the store I was interested in working in and let me test out if I liked it and if I was good at them. Keep in mind I was a VERY good people person and had already proven to be a hard worker and had passed the customer service tests over and over with 10's and positive comments so there was nothing to be lost by trying to elevate me to a higher position. People in the store naturally listened and followed me anyways. When I tried the floral department I immediately showed a talent of arranging flowers and had an eye for design, so they had the FTD florist train me as their "helper" I worked there for about 6 mths and was moved to another store close by part time as an assistant manager by the regional rep. and stayed part-time at my original store the rest of the time. Two months later I was managing my own store. There are very few companies that treat their employees that well and give them those types of opportunities that fast!! I will always be thankful for that, i would not have ever left except that I started my family. I also had excellent benefits!!!

ConsI did not like that some positions required being part of a union. I had nothing but bad experiences with the union!! Some loved the union, but they screwed me over a few times and I was happy that as a mgr. I did not have to be in it anymore! The pay was also not as much as I thought it should be, there were many others that were making more in the store, and I know other florists at other companies that were making much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would raise pay and regulate hours better for those not in control.

Large Centralized Corporate structure

Maintenance Management (Current Employee) El Monte, CA (US)

ProsGreat people, good place to learn and grow

ConsToo many Chiefs, not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the chain of command

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!