Safeway

Safeway Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros:
  • "Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days"
    in 34 reviews
  • "It was a job until you found a more practical position, Good benefits"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management had know clue what it was like to manage at store level"
    in 42 reviews
  • "On call, Shifting, Working on weekends periodically (but I was still able to maintain work-life balance)"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Safeway

Prosnice people, nice location, pleasant, work life balance, good benefits

Consslowwwwww pace, don't come here if you are expecting to move quickly up the food chain...

So large you can get lost, great if you want to hide

IT Consultant (Former Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Safeway is in play and will be acquired by a competitor. There will be a significant amount of uncertainty for incumbents due to the consolidation but potential opportunity for new hires.
- Employee benefits such as health coverage, wellness plans, retirement and ESOP are very attractive.

Cons- Safeway is an incredibly huge organisation with near 175,000 employees. Most are based in the 1,300 food retail stores. The IT organisation has an operational/cost savings focus and is not regarded as a change agent by the business.
- Place too much value on employee tenure rather then performance

Overall I worked with a nice crew of employees and most of the customers became my regular, friendly, everyday faces.

Bookkeeper/Customer Service (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees work together as a team, the store is open evryday, 24 hours, You have a chance to earn gift cards from positive, secret shops, benifits & paid vacations, dress down fridays, and the store is located right outside of Golden Gate Park.

ConsSometimes people like to come in and steal, you might have to work a lot of weekends, as a cashier; you might end up having to bag your customers groceries.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you make rules for your emplees to follow (with customers), enforce them and don't leave your employee hanging. Rotate schedule so that everyone can have weekends off sometimes.

Deli manager

I have been working at Safeway

ProsGrowth opptions, flexibility, good experience

ConsCompensation, time off policies, holiday work

stocking for safeway

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Countryside, IL (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood pay ,good chance to get promoted. positive working environment. alot of locations and they where all set up in a similar set.

Consto many bosses not enough workers. obsessive and self destructive desire to eliminate shrink. favoring new cheap help over old experienced workers.

Part time job

Produce Clerk (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Prosnegotiated hours around school, easy job with little responsibility

Consmad customers. constant movement between cash register and other departments

Advice to Senior Managementmore cashiers = more customers

My second family.

Safeway Starbucks Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Bothell, WA (US)

I have been working at Safeway part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat management (Varies by store), nearly as much training as you want, promotions are earned if you work hard, SCEA discount on movie tickets and concerts, flexible schedules.

ConsStarbucks Baristas at Safeway do not receive tips, discounts, or markout. You are paid as if you were a courtesy clerk. Starbucks promotions are cancelled at the last minute. If you put up with it, you will be dragged to other departments as management sees a temporary or small need.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that Starbucks licensed stores don't generate as much revenue as a corporate Starbucks location, so the fact that we don't have markout makes sense because it is a high-cost benefit, however I do not think allowing tips would be outrageous. If Baristas are getting paid less than corporate stores, they should at least get tips to help compensate. Employees might be retained longer if tips were allowed. We work hard too.

Time well spent

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Whitefish, MT (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSafeway offers it management team great benefits. It also has many opportunities for advancement as the company is a dirt to table producer of their store branded items. Safeway is also focused on being socially and environmentally conscience about their natural and organic store brands.

ConsLiving in an area where with lower population does not allow for the quick advancement. If you are planning on a career with this company, then either focus on Point of Sales or Corporate. Transitioning between the two, while it does happen, is rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can only comment from Point of Sales portion of the company. They offer their management great support for each of their functional areas within each store.

Conservative Corporate Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOverall I enjoyed the job, the benefits were good and for the morst part the people are friendly. It's a very hierachial company and if you don't have a seat at the table with the people at the top you won't go far.

ConsIt was not a collaborative work environment. No one wanted to share ideas for fear that someone else would take the idea and run with it and call it there own.

Advice to Senior ManagementMangement was not conserned about developing people/leaders as much as the bottome line...making money.

A career rising within Safeway

Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSo many skills learned while managing people, measuring performance of every aspect of a business, and using information to execute company initiatives to build loyalty, keep costs to minimum, & drive sales above goals. Pay can be negotiated at hire. Many opportunities to advance into other positions within.

ConsStrategies with Upper executives reducing costs are not realistic in expectations of labor skill set, often employees are unqualified for key roles, pay poorly & some roles are less and coincidentally female roles ( like meat depart. Mostly male are higher paid and manage less people than say, the del, i prodominatly female, and the lowest paid department manager)

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture of " we will do what it takes" is not healthy when it comes with an expectation of performance measurement. Selfishness has bred a team of sandbaggers that are not motivated to help have a healthy business. Often entire careers are thrown out by executives for petty issues.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 879 reviews are posted anonymously by Safeway employees.