Sabre

Sabre Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein

Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures(in 54 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market(in 22 reviews)

• This provides little to no job security and adds to a stressful work environment(in 6 reviews)

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart and friendly coworkers. Fair compensation. Company activities. You can make a career in Sabre.

ConsOn call duties. If you live in Uruguay, is far from Montevideo, so you have to add 1 hour in the bus to the 8:45 daily hours.

A great experience and a lot of interesting people

Consultant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe people are great and they give everyone a fair chance to succeed, they really care and want everyone to do well.

ConsWould like to see more National work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsComputer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

ConsPhysical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Full of smart, experienced, industry-saavy people who are good to work with but organization is slow to change

ProsWorked here for over 10 years until leaving for a better opportunity in the industry. The people make this a great place to work. They are smart people who know the industry very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Pay is above average for the travel industry and market for companies outside the industry. Benefits were also very competitive with many other industries. I was able to advance my career and grow responsibilities w/o leaving the holdings company.

Cons1. The plus is also a minus. With so many experienced people, it can be tough to find advancement opportunities. It is a culture of who you know and what projects you've worked on or lead.
    2. The GDS business (the core of Sabre) is a mature industry and thus is primarily managed to profitability rather than top line revenue growth. Not a big deal if you are a finance person but maybe it is for someone in brand marketing.
    3. The company is still trying to find ways to grow. It has done acquisitions, it has incubated businesses and it hasn't hit a home run or even a double yet. Perhaps that will change but it struggles to find growth outside of its airline technology business.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to rip off the band-aid and get to the future. That means taking some risk with acquisitions but it also means taking risk in terms of talent management. I think some people are allowed to stay too long.

Tehnology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat visionary leaders. Great teachnology.

ConsNone. Great company to work for with great people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Good

Contributor Business Analyst (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsGood career growth. Travel options.

ConsFrequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo frequent layoffs

Mostly good

Solutions Manager (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsFlexibility, good pay, lots of opportunities to move to around to different jobs at a lateral level, fairly low benefit costs compared to some other companies

ConsUpward promotion is not always easy unless you have a senior level sponsor, overly complex organization structure with too much matrixing, need more clear definition of roles / responsibilities to hold people accountable

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within as opposed to hiring externally for more senior positions

Ups and Downs

Product Manager (Current Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsThe work environment and people make for a great place to work. The aviation industry is very interesting and have given me the opportunity to travel to very cool places and always have challenging problems to solve. It depends on the position but I have extremely great flexibility and work life balance and most every coworker that I know would agree. People have been hard on the new CEO, Tom Klein. My opinion is that he is a pretty standard executive and most people I know don't like him because he has a very different style of management than the last CEO, not necessarily worse.

ConsThere is very limited visibility into what upper management is thinking. Proposals are sent "up stairs" but you never seem to get an answer or even get a feel for how they took the proposal. Recent change (and moves to get there)to being a public company has seemed to hurt employee morale more than help

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve visibility into decisions

Good company, great people!!

Technology Director (Former Employee) Southlake, TX (US)

ProsSabre provided me an excellent opportunity to grow and learn early in my career. The majority of my bosses enabled me to excel in learning technology and commercial agreements. I also had a couple very good mentors and guided me to become very successful. There are four business units in Sabre and I spent my entire career on the travel agency side.

ConsThe "traditional" travel agency side of the business has been shrinking for years, but online agencies have filled back filled the void. From Sep 2013 through Mar 2014, Sabre laid off more than 1000 employees (likely closer to 1500) as they prepared to go public. When Sabre was a public company from 1999-2007, they had annual layoffs. In addition, over half of the executive team is new in the last 12 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal and profession growth seems to be limited. Layoffs and instability in career path reduces employee productivity and drives stress in the workforce.

Great name to have on my resume, but it's time to get the hell out

ProsSenior leadership is responsive to requests from employees. Changes are being made around campus. Campus is Eco-friendly and there are several employee groups one can join based on one's interests. Volunteering is important to the company. Depending on the team, there are flexible work from home policies, flexible hours, and the potential for work/life balance.

ConsThe company is currently undergoing a lot of change. With being public, mostly new senior leadership, and some of the "old Sabre" still around, it's a very confusing environment. They want us to innovate, but budgeting, legacy systems, and fear of failure prevent that from happening 95% of the time. Depending on the team, work environments can be brutal, overly competitive, micro-managed by non-managers, and uncomfortable to work in. It is not a terrible place to work, but one needs to be cautious of the team they join and aware of the changing culture. Hopefully is it evolving for the better, but only time will tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with top talent to create top products. Revamp campus to be more conducive to any personality work environment. Stop giving power to those who are stuck with the old way Sabre ran, and instead listen to the new ideas.

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!