SYKES

Updated 15 November, 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Call Center

Current Employee - OMDA Representative in Greenwood, SC (US)
    Current Employee - OMDA Representative in Greenwood, SC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for the area

Cons

Floor support management could use better training

Do your job..

Good for the people at corp, bad for the rest of us

Former Employee - Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are nice and team players, everybody is focused in delivering good work

Cons

No growing inside the company, unless you are part of Chuck"s circle or you are the protege of VP of operations for the regions, the rest of the vps do not have any real power inside the company

Please get more good people in the top, Chuck is great but there are only limited ideas to where the company can grow, and the company is static towards new business models, and are solely focused in maintain margins than to look for real and outside the box ways of earning more dollars

Good Luck!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I actually thought it would be a better experience working the US site rather than one of the outsourced locations. That was a huge mistake.

Cons

Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management. Very bad pay for position working in. To many double standards or no standards at all. Management contradicts each other in front of employees and then wonders why the performance is so bad. Duh!! No one knows what to expect. Favoritism runs rampant. Fraud is okay but being absent is not. As long as agents sell, the rest of their performance apparently doesn't matter. There is so much more than can be said, but does anyone really listen anyway? I doubt it.

As long as the current management is in place at the Lakeland II site, I don't think they have a prayer of getting any better. You have AMs that suggest to take away agent sales commission if the WTR is not met, you have others in management that don't know what's really happening in their own site. Rather than fixing a problem, they just move it around to look like it was fixed. Site management is stuck on doing a dog-and-pony show for clients and other senior Sykes management to attempt to paint a rosy picture when the fact is the site is a disaster in management. Promotions are almost non-existent for people that can make it better, they would rather put their friends in the position and then protect them. To be honest I'm surprised the client (AT&T) has not pulled their business, unless they've had such a smoke screen blown in their face too. I have no opinion of the CEO but if I was him, I'd be embarrassed with the Lakeland II site management and performance. The site can be so much better but not with current management.

its a joke

Former Employee - Rep in Bardstown, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Rep in Bardstown, KY (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

THERE ARE NO PROS TO THIS JOB

Cons

terrible, awful, a joke, underpaid

young and unprofessional

Terrible

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

There are no pros to this job.

Cons

This is a thankless job. Dealing with people and there horrible attitudes is no fun especially if you are not a people person.

Survival (barely) work from home job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Saves you from living under a bridge. Saves gas commuting to another dead end job,

Cons

Enduring poor management, godawful training, poor communication, draconian customer service policies (actually lack thereof). Paying for all of the technical items necessary to work including expensive landline phone. essentially no benefits. No job security whatsoever. Unfulfilled promises. No kudos or time to fix other's mistakes, and there are many due to the people they attract. eg. Two minutes for after call work before warning issued even if customer has been very poorly served ... Customer must stay on hold even if it takes 45 minutest to fix an issue. Reps promised full time but then get part time after training. Minimum wage while training.

Advise your applicants they will be treated like garbage for close to minimum wage rather than the company line while recruiting.

Miserable backstabbing production support department.

Current Employee - Production Support in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Production Support in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. Not one thing that would have kept me there.

Cons

Backstabbing, politics, one upping, management that ignores problems. They do not care about your health or the hours they make you work.

Your middle management in IT needs to be replaced.

It's a great company so far..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had just moved to the Lakeland area when I got the job at Sykes about a week later. The training was organized and very knowledgable. The managers are nice and very helpful. Also, the front desk employee is very upbeat and sweet which keeps everyone in a positive attitude. I have been able to make friends in the area and also network and leave great impressions for future roles and possibilities.

Cons

The only bad thing I have to say about the company, well location is that we only had 2 weeks of training instead of the regular 7 weeks that they give Customer Service Agents coming in. It kind of rushed us out on the floor, but all in all we learned what we needed through the training and trial and error.

A chance for career growth would be nice as well as a mentor program for those who potentially want to grow within the company.

Great opportunity to get real customer service experience

Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Sykes Team Manager in Milton-Freewater, OR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement if you are willing to chase them. Performance focused environment that really strives to provide the best opportunity for the agents to excel and develop.

Cons

Difficult to get time for personal problems. Sketchy tracking of metrics that are used to evaluate agent performance.

Mediocre at Best

Former Employee - Minion in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Minion in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very few pros - Location
    Experience gained

Cons

I could write a book about all of the cons!!! Decisions made based on perceptions, feelings, gossip, and "noise" not made with facts, forethought, or sound judgement.

Get or together and stop letting great talent get away. Your teams and coworkers don't trust you.