SYKES Reviews

Updated 30 September, 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management making high end dollars with little or no raises for those who are generating the business (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Former Employee - Deposits  in  Wise, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Deposits in Wise, VA (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

Cons

Insurance was not that good.

More advancements would be good.

Run AWAY!!

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can't think of any...Oh, the Bathrooms were clean.

Cons

Terrible hours/pay with no negotiation. Terrible treatment by supervisors in a pass-the-buck environment. A Place filled with empty promises to advance, but what they fail to mention is that advancement only comes to those on the good ole' boys system...oh, and also without a raise.

tear it down and start over.

Shocking Abuse of Employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  La Canada, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in La Canada, CA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Health benefits (which you pay for) working from home

Cons

Ignorant, power mad and tyrannical supervisors, who dish out verbal warnings on a daily basis. Really crap systems which go down several times per day (2003 server) . Lack of professional management, don't tell you about shift bids then schedule you to work during your vacation and NEV ER EVER one word of apology when they screw up . Just tell you it is somehow your fault. This company should be called The Matrix, you are left in doubt that you are just a POS to them. Human rights abused every day. No respect at all for the people who are making them money

Please remember that the people you are bullying and harassing over minor infringements, like a warnings for being a couple of minutes over your break time are the same people who, on the same day, work maybe 20 minutes after midnight shift ends to resolve customer issues, like true professionals. Please remember when an agent screws up it is morally wrong to deny a credit especially if that mistake costs a customer several hundred of dollars. If Rogers find out you will be getting the company into big trouble and this is called theft which is illegal in this country. Because of the ridiculous pace of change in plans for their customers, and when 4 different supervisors give 4 different resolutions to your problems, it is really not acceptable to ding agents with a verbal warning when the supervisory level itself is totally confused....how do you think we feel? Are you not aware how this engenders such negativity among agents. Instead of communication through chat on an ad hoc basis when at least 1/7th of agents are off work, why not aspire to an intelligent form of communication, like emails so we can actually be reliably informed about what we are supposed to be doing before we actually receive warnings for failing to do it. Oh yes and when I have been informed that I have been given approval for a vacation week, please do not then inform me by posting a schedule for me to work the week before the vacation; and when I query it, THEN proceed to tell me it is not approved. In our business this is known as BS and this company is drowning in it.. Corporate structure is kept tightly under wraps so you never know who to turn to when you are being bounced around (that is why they do it). Finally the decision makers in this company are rank amateurs who don't know how to deal with people, communicate effectively, negotiate fairly. They only know how to manipulate and brainwash, because they themselves are lap dogs doing the dirty on agents for a career move, whilst selling their souls in the process. In a career spanning over 40 years I have pages and pages of excellent references and recommendations, have worked in senior management and got outstanding reviews from my clients, I have ALWAYS been treated with respect. Even with this company I have a high 90's customer satisfaction rate. However, I would not recommend my worst enemy to work for this company and I would recommend any and all my fellow worker to seek legal advice (plenty of no win no fee lawyers out there) to sue this company for shocking abuses and practices (which they always blame on their client ...which is even more BS). Apart from health benefits I would mark Sykes at -5 in all areas however I doubt they have minus scale in this survey. So many new agents (under 6 months) out on stress leave it is so bad and they use a lot of disabled and rural employees as they have little employment options, thereby enabling them to abuse them more. Sykes will not recruit in Ontario any more as they have to pay 12.10 per hour for home based agents in this province. So now they are recruiting on the west coast (where I am sure they will be taking advantage of temporary foreign workers).. So be warned they copy the friendly welcoming behaviors of other more reputable companies but once you have hit 4-6 months then they start trying to brainwash and abuse you. Stand up for yourself and give back as good a you get, otherwise working for thee morons will destroy your confidence and make you physically sick, like they have done to so many good people. .As for me, I am outta here EI or no EI, nothing is worth this kind of life with Sykes, free to rebuild a career and reputation without these corporate leec hes sucking out your lifes blood. Sad that they are even allowed to operate in a country like Canada. Hope this gives you the full picture about this company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They promise everything to get you there

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Conpany needs Native speakers for different languages. HR does not even bother looking at CV and experience and they promise everything to get you there. Impossible to move on due to lack of staff

Hire Management!

A company managed by inferior people who will only employ even for inferior people..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My particular assignment was in was easy breezy, I had lots of free time to do other things (which shall go undescribed), but this pro is specific to me.

Cons

My experience was that they didn't promote according to merit. My businesses don't, unfortunately, but this company takes the cake. The out-going supervisor employed his old school friend --- who was SO illiterate he couldn't spell simple words correctly. Neither could he type more than 10 words a minute. The old school friend brought the whole show into collapse when the client (whose offices we worked in) fired Sykes and got a fresh team. The "old school friend", hired unmeritoriously, has been unemployed ever since.

Develop a culture of sensing talent and giving recognition and reward for it. Realize that hiring on the basis of friendship can cause loss to the company and, as I witnessed, loss to your own job.

You can't last here for so long

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's easy to work here.

Cons

Bosses like the employees to be stressed sometimes with no point, they can't see you stop, even if there's nothing to do, the goals ar unachievable unless yo do extra unpaid hours, they tell you can rise in the company but only if there is not a sister of someone asking for the same place you are asking for. It really sucks. If they would like people to stay longer they wouldnt break the balls with idiot issues. They don't put value in the happiness of employees, also they dont' care of the opinion of their workers that may improve their procedures and daily tasks.

At least for what they pay, it's just a work for pass a while, I couldn't stand it for more than a year.

Great people

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

Great people, learned a lot of skills working with client.

Cons

Can be high intensity, but in the end it's worth it.

n/a

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Fort Smith, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fort Smith, AR (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

It pays more than average for the area, and is a simple job

Cons

The management makes everything unnecessarily stressful and difficult. The building is absolutely disgusting, and they continuously run off the cleaning staff. Roaches, mold, fleas, etc. They refuse to work with you on the scheduling unless your stats are flawless. 100% everything. So, if they assign a shift you can't work, guess what? You're getting fired because they won't help you get to a shift you can work. On top of that, the 'benefits' all count against you, and HR continuously misrepresents how things work.

Stop hiring management for filler, as it makes for bad management and poor scores.

Avoid if possible

I worked at SYKES

Pros

It's a desk job. The dress code is pretty casual. There really aren't many pros.

Cons

The training is long and tedious, but as soon as you go into nesting you realize how much you did not learn. My entire class was completely unprepared as we took our first calls. For instance, we were told the most common call would be to make a payment, yet we were never trained on how to process a payment. We were told over and over that we would have a ton of floor support and we did not.

The training was all over the place and very unorganized. One person would tell us one thing, only to have someone else tell us completely different. There was a ton of down time where we talked amongst ourselves.

With 5-6 weeks of training, there's no reason why Sykes can't prepare employees better. My class had 6 people quit by the time we went into nesting.

We were also told that if we stepped away from our phone to use the bathroom, that we had to deduct that time from our 15 minute break. I was told, "we don't pay you to use the bathroom." I'll be speaking with someone about that policy.

The problem with this company is simple: they don't pay their employees enough. Their "management" is comprised of poorly paid, poorly educated, power-hungry employees. The managers don't make much more than their subordinates (who make $9/hr), and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Except for the employees on the phone. We were expected to not only assist the customers with their needs but also try to sell them Uverse products as well. We were told to make an offer on every call- no exceptions. Seems like a lot to ask for $9/hr.

I'd rather wait tables than work here again.

1. Pay your management more.
    2. Hire qualified management with previous experience. The managers there had no business in that role.
    3. Completely reform your new hire training.

Difficult to work for

Current Employee - CCP
    Current Employee - CCP

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overtime for the company is a plus

Cons

Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management. There is always an issue with their systems and you never get paid for your full time

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!