SYKES Reviews

Updated 27 August, 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay

Current Employee - Agent  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Agent in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Guaranteed 40 hours a week.

Cons

Not enough pay for work required.

Extreme Nepotism (It's a 'who you know' environment)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you associate yourself with the right people in management, and they like you, you will be able to move up in the company rapidly.

Due to ObamaCare, a new company was hired to handle benefits at the beginning of the year (2014). The benefits are at the minimum limits of ObamaCare, but, it is Far better than what the benefits had previously been.

Cons

There have not been any Standard of Living pay raises for agents, as well as management (other than the upgrade from CSR to manager) since the inception of several of the clients that Sykes employ's for.

If you don't associate yourself with a member of management, and prove yourself to them within the first few weeks of taking calls, expect to be an agent until you find employment elsewhere. This is in reference to the nepotism in the title.

Please take seriously any communication that agents give you.

Great Company with Great Values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

SYKES is very involved in the community. They support many events in most of the communities they do business in. They treat employees well.

Cons

I've heard other employees complain about not getting raises in the past but that changed this year.

It appears that the company is working hard to improve employee moral. Keep it up. It doesn't go unnoticed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place, terrible salary

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Agent  in  Sveg (Sweden)
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Agent in Sveg (Sweden)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

They see you, and your potential.

Cons

The salary is terrible and no benefits.

Up the salaries and throw in some benefits.

OMG STEER CLEAR!

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Allentown, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Allentown, PA (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing, absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, zero, oh wait...I do enjoy my fellow trainees, the trainers...and that's it!

Cons

On your initial interview, you will be told different things that are later wrong. There are no new hire packets distributed so everyone gets different info depending on whom you speak to.

They basically hire anyone with a pulse. Start you at slave wages and no raises. You can't hey straight answers on benefits, dress code, etc.

No using your computer to even look at your paycheck stub to print out; you must use the one and only "kiosk" in the break room.

No entrance to see anyone in HR or the site secretary. Oh and if you have questions about HR related issues, good luck. Pour site was told HR comes to the office on a non scheduled basis.

I was told benefits world begin after 30 days, they don't for 60 days. The health insurance offered had no out of pocket maximum so you just keep paying till you die. The plan is SO bad that it doesn't even qualify under the Affordable Care Act!

Unless you enjoy being lied to and making $9.50 an hour, don't even apply.

Hours at this site vary from 11am to 11pm est, and right now are M-F however, because we do Medicare, during October through February, you will be working weekends too!

It's just a Mickey Mouse operation, oh wait, Disney isn't lame!

Get a freaking clue!

Ghetto

Current Employee - Member Service Representative  in  Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

no pros what so ever for working at this company ,this is the worst job I've worked,the pay is bad ,the management is worst

Cons

No proper training,no structure,put it like this my very 1st day of training the person from HR came to talk to the class and while she was talking she was painting her fingernails,she also told us that she was in a fight during her time in training and still got promoted ..wow

interview people who have management experience

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent  in  Gold Coast (Australia)
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Agent in Gold Coast (Australia)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Young, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

Cons

Management are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Team managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

In a few words

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were some at the beginning of working there. Incentives for the agents and promise of growth from the beginning of training for a new building.

Cons

Everything is wrong, there are no incentives it's just do it or don't get anything but written up. Follow the rules constantly and the TM'S and RSD'S break them all the time. They sit around and do nothing to help those on the phone.

Get your act together you are running a company with more employees than you actually should be. You can't handle the responsibility of with everyone that works under you but believe you are doing great WRONG. You need to all step up and let everyone know exactly what is going on in that place. Because when little voices say it they get fired

Real People at all levels

Current Employee - Data Analytics Specialist  in  Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Data Analytics Specialist in Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable, open and fair processes, clear and documented expectations on business objectives and individual performance, tools for greater accountability steadily put in place.

Cons

Senior leaders are very territorial, mentor-mentee relationships sometimes come across as nepotistic. Recent cuts in support group numbers have led to disastrous drop in turn around times for support requests. Where are we going? No one can answer.

Find ways to develop your people. The pipeline is running low.

My experience with sykes has been wonderful, I learned so much from this place.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

The good thing about sykes is the fact that they are always training of they ensure that we have extensive training in every thing that our job entails. I also like the fact when allow us to voice our opinion about things that we like or do not like

Cons

The most important con working at Sykes would have to be the pay.they do not pay us enough

no thank you.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!