SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and the people are friendly"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic"
    in 9 reviews
  • "This company has a extremely high turn over rate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Customer Service Jobs

Peterborough, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time

ProsGreat people to work with! Supervisors friendly and they do their best to accommodate your needs.

ConsLike any other job, it gets quite stressful at times, when dealing with customers. In terms of taking vacation days you need to work at least 6 months before getting them. This makes it hard to go home for xmas to see family. Some times your shift changes in less than 24 hours and your not notified.

Advice to Senior ManagementGenerally speaking, you're doing great. Only thing is when it comes to dealing with customer, the realist way to deal with them vs what we are trained gets confusing. When it comes to appreciating and trying to resolve, we were not trained that our soft skills may not work at times. Therefore please reassess your training for wireless providers call centre to assure new trainees that reasoning and warning angry customers is ok and being stern when your soft skills don't work is ok as well. Personally speaking, it was my first call centre experience and it was rough the first couple of months.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a great experience

London, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsThe job in question was initially a very low stress job, dealing with basic inquiries from customers.

ConsNo permanant long term schedules as every week you could be working different hours and have different days off rather than have the same shift for a few weeks at a time. Busy hours were under staffed, off hours were over staffed

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the schedules that a person has the same shift for a month at a time

EXCELLENT!

London, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompany profit sharing, decent pay for the job, company picnics & Christmas Parties as well as monthly incentives. There is so much support for you as an employee & they respect you as a person! THIS IS NOT A SALES CALL CENTRE! Everyone is like family! I have worked here for 11 years and have loved each & every moment of my time with them!

ConsNone at this moment :)

Advice to Senior ManagementWorker harder at getting good paying contracts! We need to focus on customer service & less on ASA, AHT etc.

Meh

ProsIt's not rocket science
Health benefits are decent

Conswork/life balance blows- you'll have no life
pay sucks
BOORRRIIINNNGGGGGG

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shoving surveys down our throats unless you actually intend to implement the changes

Poorly run - management constantly over your back - unattainable metrics - In one word: NIGHTMARE.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Sydney, NS

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome co-workers made the day bearable.

ConsWhere to begin? GROSSLY mismanaged, favoritism, favoritism, favoritism.
Weekly metrics structured so it was impossible to meet goal in all areas.
Benefits too expensive based on wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a corporate headhunter sit in on operations for 30 days so in fairness to the employees and the good of the center in general you will have the opportunity to either be (a) retrained and have the opportunity to upgrade your credentials or (b) walked out the door entirely.

i'm a freshman so i have to gather more experience

Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Prosgood team members, flexible working plan, avarege salary, moderate working,

Conshard to make a carier, not so much opportunity to learn, after a littel time it becomes borring

Advice to Senior Managementhelp the employes to gather more experience and to evolve in a faster rate

Love hate relationship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES

ProsYou start at $9, you can bonus off sales for TV, Internet & Home Phone and now if you add a line of service and if your surveys are good. They give an example of an extra $1,600+ in bonuses every month. If you want to move up they will do all they can to get you there. They have an "exchange" for employees in need where there is food and clothing and much more for those who need it all for free. The site director is extremely friendly and they all have an open door policy. It's mandatory full time with optional over time. You get an hour lunch and tons of schedules to choose from. They will also work with those in the army or in school.

ConsThe bonus off of sales sounds great but it is EXTREMELY hard. Some customers get mad, sometimes there is absolutely no way to offer to customers. And if you don't offer you get wrote up. They are more concerned about making sales then they are of their actual customers having their issues fixed. They cut the highest bonus that was over $300 down to $75 and below that used to be over $200 and now it's $55 and the lowest bonus for WTR (willingness to recommend AT&T) is down to $45 from over $100. So they cut that back a lot. It's a call center. It will literally make you hate your life. You just have to weigh the bad and good, it sounds amazing when you start and you are like Why would any one ever leave?!? This place is amazing!! Then 6+ months down the lone you are like, How do I escape?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing so hard on making sales that it makes your employees want to quit. There is more to our customers than selling them things. I would definitely say look into changing the way your TMs bonus so that it's better for the employees and management. I absolutely loved my job until you threatened me about sales.

Leadership

Technical Trainer (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, NC (US)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities, friendly environment, good location

ConsMiscommunication, contradicted policies, organization and schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is one of the important keys for success.

The people you work with are your only incentive.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at SYKES part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady paycheck, competition, flexible shifts

ConsOutdated equipment, unfriendly front office, disgusting bathrooms, no appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to spend a week as a CSR or Team Manager to really understand your employees. You have no idea.

Great way to start your career, if nothing good happens to you in 2 years - time to move on!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- great start of a career
- very good promotion opportunities, if you are really good
- very nice atmosphere
- nice collective (in general)
- access to lots of products you can test (depending on the client you work for)
- constant trainings
- nice source of income for the first years of your career

Cons- doesn't know about employee motivation, they wait for their clients to do this for their people
- doesn't care about employee's retention
- management is not experienced
- works through friendships
- lack of transparency

Advice to Senior Management- you would need a more experienced management, that can bring a fresh vision
- value your employees more, you let them go way too easily
- train yourselves and accept you are not perfect and you still have things to learn

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!

SYKES Videos

SYKES – Why Work for Us?

For more than 30 years, SYKES has been in the business of creating and maintaining satisfying relationships between client companies and their customers. During this time, they have also been creating gratifying jobs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SYKES reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SYKES CEO Chuck Sykes. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by SYKES employees.