SYKES Reviews

Updated 24 October, 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Service Jobs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

Great people to work with! Supervisors friendly and they do their best to accommodate your needs.

Cons

Like any other job, it gets quite stressful at times, when dealing with customers. In terms of taking vacation days you need to work at least 6 months before getting them. This makes it hard to go home for xmas to see family. Some times your shift changes in less than 24 hours and your not notified.

Generally speaking, you're doing great. Only thing is when it comes to dealing with customer, the realist way to deal with them vs what we are trained gets confusing. When it comes to appreciating and trying to resolve, we were not trained that our soft skills may not work at times. Therefore please reassess your training for wireless providers call centre to assure new trainees that reasoning and warning angry customers is ok and being stern when your soft skills don't work is ok as well. Personally speaking, it was my first call centre experience and it was rough the first couple of months.

Started well, going down hill

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health Benefits with Blue Cross, most of your co-workers are awesome but thats all that can really be said.

Cons

When I started you made more then minimum wage and got raises, now the wages have frozen and your making the minimum which isn't enough to live off. If you can get customers to purchase new services you can get a bonus... but don't expect it to be paid out to you for over 6 months. Good luck getting the extra dollar for your schedule adherence because there will always be something that throws it off.

Your scheduled hours will fluctuate even if your shift claims to be fixed hours and they are unwilling to work with your needs if you have no vehicle causing some employees to walk home at midnight on an hour + walk no matter if you have health concerns, are male or female (even if pregnant). Do NOT expect to have any help.

They don't care that it's a non-scent environment, if you are allergic you better be prepared to loose hours that they will not reimburse you for and will count against you and not do anything against those that violate the scent policy even if it forces co-workers to go to the hospital.

They require you to do over 20 things on one call which most customers have absolutely no interest in allowing you to do and you can be penalized even if you do everything right because the customer didn't like how you did it.

Endless company jargon with no importance that they require you to spout back t them at every meeting.

Oh and the blue cross benefits are not helpful in most cases as most places require you to pay for the services first as the health care professionals (glasses, etc) do not take the benefits upfront.

Give back the raises, be more flexible with employees schedules and pay more then minimum wage if your going to stress your reps out.

Too much stress for too little money.

Current Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schedule is a set one which is nice.

Cons

The wages are a joke for what we have to put up with. Too stressful for minimum wage. Too much abuse from customers and the expectation that every customer will be happy after talking to us is unrealistic.

Increase the wages so people will want to stay. The schedule is not bad. Stop being unrealistic in expectations of how we can resolve 100% of customer concerns.

absolutely hell

Current Employee - Customer Service in Sydney, NS
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Sydney, NS

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the other people , who are your co-workers, are going through the same things

Cons

always on your back about something, extremely micromanaged, they tell you anything good.. about what you are doing.. just yelling up and down the halls like a madwoman

get some that are qualified, more than 40 % of the agents out on stress leave.. what does that tell you

Sykes sucks at being a progressive company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only pro is benefits plan but that doesn't help with day to day living

Cons

No wage increases. No monetary bonuses just stupid contests. In a year there I have won a pen

Change management. They all have their heads stuck down in the sand. Ask them anything you don't get an answer and they don't even have courtesy to even try to get one

It's a joke

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Sherbrooke, QC
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Sherbrooke, QC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is not THAT bad and coworkers are really nice. Thats all. Really.

Cons

Stressful, customers are abusive, change of queue non-stop with a day of calls back to back then the day after nearly nothing, the blind leading the blind *Really, the supervisors are terrible*

Make sure the supervisors are people who have worked in the departement for more than one week... I don't care if they can small talk and calm the employe, if they cannot help with the system and know nothing about what is the job on the floor, they are worth nothing.

Bad memories

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, ON

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good for unexperienced or unemployed, easy to get a job.

Cons

Very stressful and demanding job.

Not a great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job in question was initially a very low stress job, dealing with basic inquiries from customers.

Cons

No permanant long term schedules as every week you could be working different hours and have different days off rather than have the same shift for a few weeks at a time. Busy hours were under staffed, off hours were over staffed

Have the schedules that a person has the same shift for a month at a time

EXCELLENT!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in London, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company profit sharing, decent pay for the job, company picnics & Christmas Parties as well as monthly incentives. There is so much support for you as an employee & they respect you as a person! THIS IS NOT A SALES CALL CENTRE! Everyone is like family! I have worked here for 11 years and have loved each & every moment of my time with them!

Cons

None at this moment :)

Worker harder at getting good paying contracts! We need to focus on customer service & less on ASA, AHT etc.

Meh

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's not rocket science
    Health benefits are decent

Cons

work/life balance blows- you'll have no life
    pay sucks
    BOORRRIIINNNGGGGGG

Stop shoving surveys down our throats unless you actually intend to implement the changes