SYKES Reviews

553 reviews filtered by
2.6
SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent growth opportunities for leading company

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company truly provides a quality service to its clients and is seen as a leader in the field with growth around every corner. Their Sykes Home segment of the business has so much exciting potential and technological support. The more I learn, the more impressed I become. I personally am working for the best boss I've ever had in my [15yr+] career. I look at places like Discover that put so much emphasis and personality into their quality customer service and i LOVE knowing that I work for a company that makes that kind of thing possible for our impressive list of clients.

As a corporate citizen, SYKES earns high marks with me. They have multiple initiatives for making a difference in peoples' lives both inside and outside the company (corporate Domestic Violence awareness campaigns, Veterans' support, Employee Relief Fund, local sites fundraising for local nonprofits, etc.) They are very LGBT supportive and work hard to create a workplace of true equals.

Cons

Lots of growth means lots of growing pains. Sometimes communication and technology bear the brunt of that. Patience and positive attitude go a long way in bridging those occasional gaps.

Advice to Management

Communication is key with change management issues. Engage, engage, engage! :)

2. Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at SYKES full-time

Pros

Sykes is very close to my heart as it was my training ground. It has a lot of talented and amazing people that will help you build your career.

Cons

Work-life balance is needed as well

3. Worked full time, legit work from home opportunity

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at SYKES (less than a year)

Pros

Could work from home and it was easy to give away shifts if I needed the day off.

Cons

In the 8 months I worked there, was on 6 different teams and went through 2 shift changes! No continuity!! Made it tough to plan a life out of work!

Advice to Management

Need to keep teams stable in one team for longer then 2 weeks at a time!!

5. Not a very friendly environment,some of the students were given more attention than others.

Former Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - At Home Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at SYKES

Pros

No commute.Nothing else .Don't waste your time.

Cons

Low pay, Poor training, unreasonable demands and schedules, Favoritism,Unprofessional talks and conducts. You are better off working at a store as a sales rep.

Advice to Management

Pay more for the stressful job

6. Good for part time work

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Work from home
    easy
    no commute

Cons

Very low wage
    High stress
    low hours

Unsatisfied

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Work at home
    Dont have to commute
    Equipment supplied

Cons

Training left something to be desire
    Have work here for less than 2 months and want out already
    Very little support
    Schedule already changed dramatically

experience at sykes home

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Calgary, AB

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

very professional work at home company. you are at home but you feel like you are at work. very dedicated employees and employers

Cons

keeping ur home very quiet, hard to do summertime. also lonely... hard to form work relationships via typing

Advice to Management

if possible to give employees good quality noise cancelling earphones..

Employee Abuse at Sykes

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health Benefits, work at home, good peer support

Cons

Chaotic , tyrannical management, impossible stats, pathetically inadequate systems, Ignorant and confused supervisors who demonstrate signs of power craze.

Advice to Management

Please remember that the people you are bullying and harassing over minor infringements, like a warnings for being a couple of minutes over your break time are the same people who, on the same day, work maybe 20 minutes after midnight shift ends to resolve customer issues, like true professionals. Please remember when an agent screws up it is morally wrong to deny a credit especially if that mistake costs a customer several hundred of dollars. If Rogers find out you will be getting the company into big trouble and this is called theft which is illegal in this country. Because of the ridiculous pace of change in plans for their customers, and when 4 different supervisors give 4 different resolutions to your problems, it is really not acceptable to ding agents with a verbal warning when the supervisory level itself is totally confused....how do you think we feel? Are you not aware how this engenders such negativity among agents. Instead of communication through chat on an ad hoc basis when at least 1/7th of agents are off work, why not aspire to an intelligent form of communication, like emails so we can actually be reliably informed about what we are supposed to be doing before we actually receive warnings for failing to do it. Oh yes and when I have been informed that I have been given approval for a vacation week, please do not then inform me by posting a schedule for me to work the week before the vacation; and when I query it, THEN proceed to tell me it is not approved. In our business this is known as BS and this company is drowning in it.. Corporate structure is kept tightly under wraps so you never know who to turn to when you are being bounced around (that is why they do it). Finally the decision makers in this company are rank amateurs who don't know how to deal with people, communicate effectively, negotiate fairly. They only know how to manipulate and brainwash, because they themselves are lap dogs doing the dirty on agents for a career move, whilst selling their souls in the process. In a career spanning over 40 years I have pages and pages of excellent references and recommendations, have worked in senior management and got outstanding reviews from my clients, I have ALWAYS been treated with respect. Even with this company I have a high 90's customer satisfaction rate. However, I would not recommend my worst enemy to work for this company and I would recommend any and all my fellow worker to seek legal advice (plenty of no win no fee lawyers out there) to sue this company for shocking abuses and practices (which they always blame on their client ...which is even more BS). Apart from health benefits I would mark Sykes at -5 in all areas however I doubt they have minus scale in this survey. So many new agents (under 6 months) out on stress leave it is so bad and they use a lot of disabled and rural employees as they have little employment options, thereby enabling them to abuse them more. Sykes will not recruit in Ontario any more as they have to pay 12.10 per hour for home based agents in this province. So now they are recruiting on the west coast (where I am sure they will be taking advantage of temporary foreign workers).. So be warned they copy the friendly welcoming behaviors of other more reputable companies but once you have hit 4-6 months then they start trying to brainwash and abuse you. Stand up for yourself and give back as good a you get, otherwise working for thee morons will destroy your confidence and make you physically sick, like they have done to so many good people. As for me, I am outta here EI or no EI, nothing is worth this kind of life with Sykes, free to rebuild a career and reputation without these corporate leec hes sucking out your lifes blood. Sad that they are even allowed to operate in a country like Canada.

10. Started well, going down hill

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Peterborough, ON

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health Benefits with Blue Cross, most of your co-workers are awesome but thats all that can really be said.

Cons

When I started you made more then minimum wage and got raises, now the wages have frozen and your making the minimum which isn't enough to live off. If you can get customers to purchase new services you can get a bonus... but don't expect it to be paid out to you for over 6 months. Good luck getting the extra dollar for your schedule adherence because there will always be something that throws it off.

Your scheduled hours will fluctuate even if your shift claims to be fixed hours and they are unwilling to work with your needs if you have no vehicle causing some employees to walk home at midnight on an hour + walk no matter if you have health concerns, are male or female (even if pregnant). Do NOT expect to have any help.

They don't care that it's a non-scent environment, if you are allergic you better be prepared to loose hours that they will not reimburse you for and will count against you and not do anything against those that violate the scent policy even if it forces co-workers to go to the hospital.

They require you to do over 20 things on one call which most customers have absolutely no interest in allowing you to do and you can be penalized even if you do everything right because the customer didn't like how you did it.

Endless company jargon with no importance that they require you to spout back t them at every meeting.

Oh and the blue cross benefits are not helpful in most cases as most places require you to pay for the services first as the health care professionals (glasses, etc) do not take the benefits upfront.

Advice to Management

Give back the raises, be more flexible with employees schedules and pay more then minimum wage if your going to stress your reps out.

interview

Current Employee - Customer Support in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Calgary, AB

I have been working at SYKES part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work from home jobs, nice interview process,

Cons

time interval to meet up with the requirements of the job once hired is very short

Advice to Management

candidates should be given more time to tackle their end of the employment process once hired