SThree

Updated 20 January, 2015
Updated 20 January, 2015
3.7

Gary Elden

Great growth, money, and training

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at SThree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meritocracy for promotions, no limit on how quick you can move up. Un-capped commission, Great and thorough training program. Fun culture, but also take work seriously. Opportunity to be client facing right away and be autonomous. Good benefits, over 5 weeks of vacation time. Growing rapidly, lots of opportunity to move up into leadership positions. The things they tell you in the interview are truthful, the management is very transparent about what they offer to you.

Cons

No major cons. People are really friendly and care about helping you get better

Interesting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SThree full-time (more than a year)

Pros

International exposure.
    Salary competitive.
    Nice office.
    Get to see how not to do something.

Cons

Lack of structure.
    Don't understand change management.
    Lost their core values in trying to uphold international brand.

You can't have everything, what made the company what it is shouldn't have been undone to appear as an employer of choice.

Terrible

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at SThree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good money if you get a break

Cons

Management

There reputation in the market

Invest in relationships with clients.

Tale of two sides

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

Great ambition, willingness to try new things, broadminded

Cons

Lots of jobs for the boys and it's not what you know but who you know

Don't just focus on the people that shout the loudest. Look at those that don't shout but do a great job none-the-less.

Terrible Management, Total Boys Club

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at SThree (more than a year)

Pros

-Uncapped commission structure, with pretty decent payouts if you can stack your sales.
    -Great incentives.
    -Young, energetic co-workers.
    -Decent formal training (though the real way to learn is to emulate top billers).
    -We are moving to a beautiful new office.
    -The SThree brands are becoming more and more recognizable in the US.
    -This job will teach you to be disciplined and punctual, and if you pay attention, you will learn a great sales skill set.

Cons

-Upper management is completely disconnected from their employees; maybe now that we have had some turnover they will realize how unhappy the majority of us are.
    -They claim that career advancement is completely meritocratic, but several managers have been promoted based on inflated (read: FALSE) numbers. We know you didn't hit your targets, so we don't respect your authority.
    -Total boys club. It can be incredibly frustrating/intimidating/humiliating to be a woman on the desk. Oh, and don't think we aren't scratching our heads over the fact that there are as many women as men at this company and there are still an absurdly low proportion of female managers/directors. (As a side note, and overwhelming majority of the people who recently left were women.)
    -Management will endeavor to learn as much as they can about you, your professional aspirations, and your personal life and use it to manipulate you. They will figure out your paint points and harp on them until you produce or crack. With very few exceptions, these people are NOT your friends, although they do an awesome job of making you believe otherwise.
    -Sales is absolutely a numbers game, but the emphasis on KPI's can be wildly excessive at times. Hint: It also gives away the fact that you don't actually care about us as people, only as revenue producers.
    -The atmosphere has become increasingly unprofessional. If you come in drunk from last nights party, it's not a problem as long as you were out with coworkers (this includes managers).
    -I don't know where to begin with the CEO. Maybe I'll just say that the unprofessional atmosphere, especially as it pertains to women, probably filters down from him.

If you don't start showing at least some signs that you will take steps to improve employee welfare, I won't be the only one who starts looking elsewhere...

SThree Response

Nov 06, 2014Talent Acquisition Manager

Many thanks for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that your experience at SThree wasn't entirely positive.

I know that our management team cares passionately about the welfare and success of
    ... More

My time at Sthree

Former Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at SThree full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good culture, if you work hard you are well rewarded

Cons

AT times an inconsistent approach to management

Work you you to the bone

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at SThree full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

training
    development
    good commission once you build up a pipleine

Cons

KPI's - INTENSIVE
    low basic pay

be more flexible

Not my greatest career move!

Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at SThree full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Majority of the consultants are great fun to be around and there is a great social culture
    Good place to cut teeth before moving on to a company that pays better and treats you like an adult.

Cons

Poor Management- some managers are just in senior roles because they have been in the business so long.
    Awful commission for front office staff
    Progression is SLOW
    Don't listen to staff
    Haven't made any changes for a number of years- certain arrogance about the way they work
    Churn of staff
    Terrible interview process - making candidates complete the same interview with up to 3 brands
    Can only attract trainee consultants as low salaries, commission and poor progression
    Heavily KPI focused- aware it's a sales role but some kpis are just in place to control staff
    No flexibility (Unless you'be been there 18 months then there is pre-booked flexibility)
    Arrogant managers

Focus on why you are losing so many staff and do something about it

Great experience, terrible management

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at SThree full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The training here is exceptional. Many of the people I worked with were lots of fun, and the atmosphere that created was evidently youthful. The experience gained from this job, is invaluable, on many levels, and will take you far in your next role - given you stick with it for long enough to be able to use it usefully.

Cons

Along with a youthful atmosphere, came pettiness and unsavoury, childish behaviour. Work-life balance was non-existent, and any attempt to have some was often looked upon with disdain by senior management. The management structure meant that people who were good billers, often automatically became managers - the two do not necessarily go hand in hand. The career pathways are limited and stringent. Be prepared to go into a full dog-eat-dog environment.