STMicroelectronics

STMicroelectronics Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

STMicroelectronics President and CEO Carlo Bozotti

Carlo Bozotti

Pros:
  • "Very good work life/balance - Good team spirit in general"
    in 57 reviews
  • "good working environment in few groups for self-motivated people"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Few career opportunities, low salary compared to Italy's average for graduates"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Conservative decision making after taken long time to arrive de-risk"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

got good learning experience

Trainee (Current Employee)
Greater Noida (India)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics as an intern for more than a year

Proswork culture is very good, chances of firing are very less

Consconversion rate after Internship are very less

Good people but slow promotion cycle

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA (US)

I have been working at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople, diversity, benefits, mobility potential, European roots, travel, pension plan, good 401k matching, work life balance, cross functional tasks,

ConsSlow to promote, minimal stock allowances, lower pay than competitors, salary increase just matches inflation, constant cost-cutting programs, not investing enough in US as French and Italian employees cannot be layer off.

Good in some areas, bad in others.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at STMicroelectronics

ProsGreat people in the the Bristol site. A real centre of excellence in the company in key areas.

ConsSite now closed. All the work has been relocated - primarily to France.
Incredibly bureaucratic at times - decision making is awful at times.
Lost many good people round the world.

In the past 6-8 years has gone from #5 in the semiconductor sales rankings down to #10 - a real indictment of the top level management.

STMicroelectronics - Stagnating Company

Engineering Specialist (Former Employee)
Greater Noida (India)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork content is good but not cutting edge. Good Job Security. Work Life balance.

ConsManagement is really out-dated and out of touch of the present day market. STM continues to bleed of Money and good manpower which is leaving the company in droves. What remains is the dead wood.

Working on older technologies and innovation in products is abysmal.

Sweet talk and toeing the line of your manager is needed for you to survive.

Salary hikes are a pittance and salary structure gets revised to paint a rosy picture of your package!

Greater Noida Office is at a distant location which is quite far from the city. Hence commute gets really tough. You cannot live nearby since nearby localities have multiple issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to weed out the unproductive employees rather than letting go of the good ones.

Brainstorming on the future road-map and products are a must in case STM has to remain competitive. the competitors have far more mature products and technologies than STM.

Poor Management Team in planning and execution, very limited opportunity in career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at STMicroelectronics

ProsReasonable good benefit. Relative stable amount of AWS and Variable bonus expected yearly, regardless of market volatility. Good work-life balance.

ConsA lot of training programs, but that is being discouraged to practise for work and not really useful for future career advancement. Culture that reward sweet talk people, and not for people with good working quality. Too much focus on seniority. Management team looking at output but not quality and very short sighted. Very tedious procedure and paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open and listen to the feedback from employees, respect everybody from operators to managers for the professionalism and skills. It is not about all the systems to access performance and asking for survey yearly, but how sincere that management want to get the company to be better. If all effort is to please the bosses only, everything heard is sweet but actually bitter.

I never understood how they can be in the Global Top 5 (back then). Not a good company

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)
Agrate Brianza (Italy)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen I joined the job seemed like an interesting job. However, soon it turned out that the group where I worked had hardly sales. I didn't find real pros. Probably I didn't see the good sides, because they must be there. But not in Italy.

ConsIn Italy it depends on the network you have. Skills are not the only thing that counts. One symptom was that in Agrate very few job openings were posted on the internal website (all organized in the network) , whereas in Grenoble often many jobs were posted. The sites are comparable in size. People / management doesn't keep promises and not the right people are in the right position. Colleagues were also not willing to share a lot of info with other colleagues in an order to 'be important'. For example, software was not commented so that others would not understand. I had a few employers, but ST was by far the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is better to have someone work then to have someone just being present without working. So let people do the job they want to and are best at.

Good company to work for

Systems Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at STMicroelectronics as an intern for less than a year

Pros+ Very nice working environment
+ Professional Training Opportunities
+ Good research opportunities for students in UK Universities but not only

Cons- Sometimes management hard to deal with

Good experience to work here

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe staff welfare not bad.

ConsHopefully the company can progress better.

Device Engineer

Device Engineer (Former Employee)
Rousset, Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur (France)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis company has great values (Corporate Social and Environmental Responsibility is enforced), and the management trully believes in these values. I started in this company and I learnt a ton. I was regularly offered new missions to keep on learning, to keep on moving. HR policies are among the best I have witenessed: transparency, communication, and most of the time good listening skills. Even the salaries and benefits are good (for the region I was working in).

ConsThere is no real high management; however, HR reps told me there was a plan to put in place a proper high potential system in place in the next few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less techies, and more business oriented.

Good working experience

Application Engineer (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at STMicroelectronics full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work life balance and benefits.
Good training from knowledgeable supervisors.
Support for ideas if you got the right manager.

ConsSlow and sometimes unclear progression.
Semiconductor industry has little room for growth without major restructuring. Need to re-focus in light of competition from China.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure properly and implement the right changes and not just for the sake of restructuring.

Worked for STMicroelectronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at STMicroelectronics reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for STMicroelectronics CEO Carlo Bozotti. All 376 reviews are posted anonymously by STMicroelectronics employees.