SSE Reviews

3.6

SSE CEO Alistair Phillips-Davies
Alistair Phillips-Davies

Great place to work

I worked at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability, staff discounts, share save opportunities,

Cons

In my department the management structure could have been better

Create a more regular open door one-on-one interaction with management

Metering operative

Current Employee - Meter Fixer
    Current Employee - Meter Fixer

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 2 shares schemes, discounted energy, plus many more staff only benefits

Cons

Performance related pay, no overtime pay just toil

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leading the industry in safety and only energy company in the UK to not off shore it's staff or services.
    You'll certainly make friends.

Cons

The company vision of "family" does not translate into the experience for staff. They wish to lead the industry in all areas for employees, however lack innovation or even common sense in a lot of areas.

Spend some time with your front line/sub-ordinates as what you think they do day-to-day is very different from what they actually do.

Not for me

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can earn a good salary if you get lucky. The people are good to work with, often very helpful. The offices are usually very good with modern facilities.

Cons

Getting things done is difficult; there's a lot of red tape. Very bureaucratic company. Hugely disorganised in parts. Won't spend time/money/effort to do a job well and sustainably.

Employee the right people to do the right job.

A continuing adventure

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a family away from home, everyone is close knit and go through the good and bad times together. Always supporting each other and being their brother's keeper. Amazing benefits, a joy to work for.

Cons

Definitely need management training especially within the call centre where I started out, seems like nothing has changed. Very young managers each with their own rules which means the rules are not consistent throughout the company. This needs to change and I believe more training will benefit the long term goal and vision of the company that SSE strive for.

Benefits are great, training needs to improve a short term cost but a long term benefit. This should be invested in. There needs to be consistency within the company. I have worked here for 5 years and the same problems arise regarding management.

Good work life balance, can be better by good governence.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Havant, England (UK)

I worked at SSE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Yearly salary increments and flexible approach to taking leaves. Safety culture is good, company prouds itself on being good at customer service which is good.

Cons

Very less social gathering and outings. Real hard to break out of norm and try to do things differently. Days weeks and years pass by doing same repetative stuff if you are not carefull and you may age on the same chair.

Provide groth opportiunities to employees.

Appalling behaviour by facilities managers

Former Employee - Facilities Management in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Facilities Management in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at SSE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary,pension,shares. Secure employment if your face fits

Cons

bullying, management disrespect for staff. Staff being earmarked for dismissal

Get rid of facilities management before a Pandora's box is opened. HR in Dublin collude with facilities management and ignore bullying, harrassement,and abusive behaviour by management in facilities.

life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get to go to work knowing i'm always progressing forward, always learning and always growing. I work with a great bunch of lads that look after me and are always there if I need any help. In my view there's no problems with getting time off as long as I let them know in advance. generally everyone has been extremely friendly to me.

Cons

It can take a while for things to get done in terms of getting the information your needing or equipment things like that. right now things are a little sporadic as we're a bit short of team members.

Consider improving the speed we get notified of important information.

Great company, poor middle management!

Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advisor in Havant, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As long as you hit your targets and put in the effort you do get recognition and possible new opportunities. The company invest a lot of time and money on existing employees.

Cons

Due to a lot of pressure, some middle management don't recognise these individuals allowing for that work ethic and enthusiasm to go unnoticed, leading to loss in morale!

Get to know what motivates each of your employees and use this to generate good morale and results. Now what their goals and take a genuine interest in helping them reach it.

Twenty years of blood, sweat and tears

Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Billing Account Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at SSE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues make every day enjoyable, and we all enjoy getting things done as a team, and making sure our customers get the best possible service.

Cons

The software we have to use is not always up to the job, and the management need to relax, and allow the experienced staff to use their own judgement whenever possible. Communication is key and making sure the staff have the necessary tools to perform at the required standard.

Use the loyalty and experience of your staff to your advantage, instead of encouraging them to leave (VER) and replacing them with young, eager but less experienced staff, who don't necessarily have the best interests of the company at heart.

SSE Photos

Scottish & Southern Energy Depot, Malwood (Photo thanks to Geograph user Peter Facey, Some Rights Reserved)
Offices of Scottish Southern Energy, Vastern Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Roger Templeman, Some Rights Reserved)
Scottish & Southern Slough Power Station (Photo thanks to Geograph user Chris Allen, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo