SHI International

SHI International Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee

Thai Lee

Pros
  • It can be a laid back, flexible work place but that can also depend on your manager (in 10 reviews)

• Surrounded by lots of great people who have the flexibility to be creative and provide feedback to executive management for improvements (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Inside sales reps in Austin are offered 3 times the starting base pay of inside reps in NJ (in 8 reviews)

• Low base salaries for experienced sales reps so the financial peaks and valleys can be extreme (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay place to cut your chops

ProsVibrant culture, people care about one another for the most part. Lots of vendor sponsorship and events which allow for networking opportunities.

Cons-Middle & senior management is very green in most districts/regions
    -Metrics are prioritized over sales results
    -Not enough "selling time" due to manditory office days and other events/activities unrelated to actually selling product/solutions to customers.
    -Lots of "hand-holding" versus given the tools to succeed and being treated as an adult.
    -Unless you live in Austin or NJ, limited opportunity for career progression
    -Culture of 'working 24x7'. Not being responsive to email while on vacation is frowned upon which can lead to burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelize that sales results are the key driver towards profitibility. Too many 'flavor of the week' type campaigns which distract focus from key objectives of which the campaigns should be ancillary to.

Junior Sales role

Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFlexibility and earning potential and the opportunity to develop a roster of clients in a local market. Long leash, and the autonomy to succeed. Transparent quotas, and the ability to be setup for long term success.

ConsMarket is saturated, and there is loads of rep turnover. Go to market strategy is simplistic, and does not resonate with customers. Too much emphasis on metrics versus actual selling. Very young and green leadership team, with not a lot of selling experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership team is inexperienced and does not have enough direct sales experience.

Not recomended.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsShort commute - saves on gas.

ConsIt is made clear through the actions of senior management and the Human Resources department that you don’t matter, you are replaceable, and therefore there is no need to take your concerns seriously. As far the salary, the amount that each position starts at is at the bottom end of the average salary for similar positions at other companies, and raises are few and far between (sometimes non-existent). If it wasn’t for the fact that there are labor laws in this country, you get the feeling this company would be run like a Dickensian workhouse that has employees leaving work at the end of the day with the proverbial soot covering their faces, just in time to return their low wages to the company store in exchange for some bread, and single ply toilet paper.

The opportunity for career advancement is slim to none, with few jobs being posted internally that do not have very specific requirments such a years of experience in a similar position. Why would you be working in an entry level sales or support position at SHI if you already had the years of experience necessary to do something else entireley? You are more likely to win the lotto jackpot on your birthday, while a unicorn gives you and all your friends high-fives, than make a non-lateral move in the comapny.

The morale amongst the employees I’ve spoken to is a similar to the crew of a doomed ship, slowly sinking into the unforgiving, brutally cold Atlantic. You need to get out of there as soon as possible, but where else are you going to go? Better Job Island was destroyed in the war, and is now completely uninhabitable.

Another problem is the distinct frat house culture surrounding the just out of college 22-year-olds, who are placated by the free lunches bought for them by vendors in a misguided attempt to encourage the sale of their products. This kind of behavior seems to be encouraged, rather than looked down upon. Ping Pong tables are scattered throughout the lobby area in an effort to manufacture a false sense of enjoyment. If I wanted to see college frat antics I'd pop in a DVD of Animal House, but I'm at work, not the backyard of my best bro Ogre's parent's house while Mommy and Daddy are away on vacation.

In a better job market it would be pretty hard for SHI to build up a staff. I do not reccomend working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Culture and opportunity for growth

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsLots of opportunity to grow your career and earn good money once you've established yourself

ConsStarting and building a book of business is really difficult

Great place to get started - opportunity beyond

Inside Account Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsA lot of opportunity to learn about exciting technology.
    Potential to be very lucrative in a short period of time.
    Company and partner manufacturers work hard to provide a fun environment for employees.
    There is plenty of opportunity to find new roles across the company and across the US.

ConsIncreasingly challenging quota attainment - the opening position has a seemingly short shelf life.
    The number of new reps creates a challenging learning environment for new teams.

Comfortable work enviroment

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsFlex hours, good pay if you sell alot of high margin product and services, friendly co-workers who are often very helpful. Women and minority owned.

Conslots of low margin products, some staff are in their positions just because of their tenure..

Advice to Senior Managementconsider everthing that is being said and listen all opinions.

Great at first but a lot has changed

ProsGreat Co-workers
    Great pay, if you're good at what you do
    Great benefits and perks
    Majority of the time, no micro managing

ConsManagement is a mess. One day it's this and the next is the complete opposite.
    Hiring way too people
    Call center attitude
    Management is too worried about dials and stuff that doesn't make the reps money.
    Too many unnecessary meetings(just let me work, it's sales)
    Our system tools are the worst in the business
    A LOT of favoritism(I even have to "brown-nose" to get accounts thrown to me)

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's take a step back in the SMB space. We have voiced our opinions for months now, but little has changed. Our work space is starting become a call center. Please stop preaching on numbers that do not make us money.

IAM

Inside Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsFun, young environment. Great management. Ability to grow within the company. Overall good company. Gym in building is an extra perk.

ConsPretty boring work. Desk job. Could be on a really great team or could be on a terrible one. Mainly based on luck and up to your training managers discretion. Not much of a challenging role

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure training program and placement procedures

Young, fun culture.

Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsGreat energy. Young professionals. Parties and events paid for by vendors. Fun place to work.

ConsRidiculous cold calling. If you are an IAE, you are worthless and replaceable (and treated as so)...

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries of IAE's and invest in their success instead of giving up on them and replacing them with fresh meat.

Satisfied

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ (US)

ProsGreat work culture. Laid back depending on your manager. Room for growth if you put in the effort to stand out. Busy enough so you're not bored, but not so busy that you're overworked.

ConsVery young workplace. Over 30 is overage in the Inside sales position (Entry Level). Low pay but equal for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob advancement is too heavily based on time with the company and not based on experience.

Worked for SHI International? Contribute to the Community!