SGS

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher (Chris) Kirk

Pros:
  • "Can learn a lot of different methods/techniques"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great place to learn about the industry and gain experience to add to your resume"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "No training or career progression offered as promised during initial hiring interview"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Traditional Management, less scope of growth, Low Pay, Retainership, Unorganised work, No training and Development initiatives"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good basic introduction to the industrial lab setting.

Lab Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- many good people to work with
- some supervisors were very accommodating for time off/ shift change requests for work/life
  balance
- appropriate PPE on hand, hearing testing available on occasion
- enough to learn when first starting out

Cons- limited options/ difficult to move laterally/ up the ladder within the company
- after a year or two there may not be enough continuous learning
- employees cut corners affecting quality, safety
- sometimes a lack of communication between levels

Advice to Senior ManagementLab tech wages could always be higher, especially considering the hazards encountered on a daily basis. Sometimes jobs could be quoted with an unrealistically short time frame. Lab supplies were not always stocked up fast enough, a lack of back up equipment could lead to delays.

SGS CANADA Lakefield Site

I have been working at SGS full-time

ProsA great place to learn and improve your professional skills if you are a self driven individual and don't need support to learn and acquire knowledge from the diversity of experiences you can encounter here. Relatively flexible hours if you work outside the analytical laboratory.

ConsCompletely lack of manager support when it comes to personal development i.e. courses, further education etc.

Average to low pay specially at the technician level, high turn around of people in the analytical department which the managers (specially in Geneva) don't realize affect the business on the other departments (metallurgical operation).

There are lots of toxic senior employees that makes life and work impossible to those that want to develop on the work place.

Managers (upper managers and to a degree group managers) show a complete lack of interest for the people that work there, you are just a number to them and when the market softens you are on a list to get fired almost immediately... how far down the list you are? ...nobody actually knows until you get the call.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise to upper managers in Geneva (if they ever read this)

Get rid of your upper managers at Lakefield and start from scratch ...you need people that not only understand the market situation but also what it takes to run that place and the endless amount of hours and effort the project managers goes through to get the project done on time and on budget while struggling with the bureaucracy and the nonsense of the control systems they are trying to shovel down your trough.

And always remember money is a good thing to have and make our life better but a nice email or short conversation thanking you for your efforts and achievements goes a long way....I never heard anybody getting one from the current manager

Good experience overall.

Laboratory Technician (Geochemistry) (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at SGS as a contractor for more than a year

Pros- Reputable company
- Many locations around the world.

Cons- Shift work, schedule can change with short notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay for employees.

Probably the worst place to work in America.

N/A (Former Employee)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay and People. not much else.

ConsBad Management all the way down....

Advice to Senior ManagementQuite, Learn some people skills and don't let your pride get in the way

Interesting

Whitehorse, KW

ProsGreat Place to get experience

ConsRemuneration packages are not competitive or current with industry averages. Poor communication between senior management and mid-level employees.

Great Place to Learn

I have been working at SGS

Pros-work on various interesting projects at the same time
-management is great
-most people are friendly
-can learn a lot of stuff in a short time
-never lay off people

Cons-some techs bully new hires
-pay is relatively low compared to other companies
-tight office space
-insurance plan is not as good

Advice to Senior Management- should provide more training to new hires
- support your people
- hire the right type of people so that they could stay here longer

An average big company

Senior Metallurgist (Current Employee)

I have been working at SGS

ProsSGS is a good company which provides commercial testing work in minerals and other industries. SGS charge an average price to the clients and try their best to satisfy the client 's needs. SGS Canada Inc. provides a good package to the employees but the salary level is just in an average level.

Conssalary level is just in an average level.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to provide new services which include more technologies

Could be better and even bigger...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SGS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal structure, worldwide matrix organization, in case of proper management support, you can find your way to go ahead and to be promoted. Best in class! Support of good ideas. (If!) Diversified portfolio, omnipresence in each industry. Many professional people all around. Lot of available resource globally. Excellent high level corporate concepts, strategies and values.

ConsAt a certain manager level too many politicians. Old style ones are chasing short term targets on anyway (i.e: current budget, mainly in terms of LC) They are going to keep their chairs for few years, especially before retirement and as a consequence they do not take a risk to invest in the future growth. They are blocking to broadcast many good ideas to the upper level management. Immediate re-organisation even for interim business drop. Lack of synergies between business lines. Very slow decision making! (From initial ideas till approval/refusal). The structure is not well prepared to integrate the new concepts, business styles, ideas, but they broadcast permanently: think out of box! You can be the best up to a certain level for many years, but above it you can be evaluated on different way by loosing your achievements and recognitions from the past within a minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementBroadcast and implement the global business and HR strategies down to the execution level and keep motivation of people all around. Reduction of middle management as has been done cca 1 decade ago. Get rid of staff, who is living for internal bureaucracy only, when they should have a customer relation in their own position. Better and more direct top management control on mid level managers and better listening directly to the voice of staff involved in execution. Future talents are here!

I made a career of it.

Anchorage, AK (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time

ProsPeople, freedom to learn, part of a winning team. The company does alot to make people feel like they belong to a team. They take everyone to the state fair, the whole lab goes to a rented out theater for a movie and pizza once a year, etc. We really come together as a team. You must be a team player to have fun and do a good work.

ConsWork can be challenging during the busy season.

Loader

Loader (Current Employee)
Baytown, TX (US)

I have been working at SGS full-time for less than a year

ProsI would say I like how flexible they are with other things you have going on in your life. It is a very easy job, the hardest part about the job is dealing with the weather.

ConsThe biggest challenge about working at this job is getting paid more. At this job you basically get paid $17 for the same work that operators do and make $25 a hour at most places.

Worked for SGS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SGS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SGS CEO Christopher (Chris) Kirk. All 124 reviews are posted anonymously by SGS employees.