SCC

Updated 28 February, 2015
2.8

SCC Chief Executive James Rigby
James Rigby

Pros
  • Good people get recognised and do well (in 4 reviews)

• Some lower level management is ok and the general staff are great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No promotion, no career progression, no pay rises, no recognition of your worth as an employee, no prospects, no job security, poor management (in 17 reviews)

• No pay rise in 5 years despite moving to a more technical and responsible position (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

first 12 months at SCC complete

I have been working at SCC

Pros

Genuine internal movement opportunites.
    I moved internally to another department at SCC after 9 months in an administritive role.
    There are always opportunities available

Cons

Currently cons is non applicable

Upper management are extremely approachable and obviously hand picked which I have found isn't always the case at multi national private companies.
    SCC's support to local causes and Charities is also supported by the Management.

Been with SCC for 10 years and still going

Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Been with SCC for over 10 years. Staff friendly and management approachable.
    Open to change which has been more observable within the last couple of years with the investment within the company. If you want to get on the opportunities are there especially with the renewed focus on people development.

Cons

Premises in Birmingham are tired but things are changing.

Stay open to change and continue the investment in the people development strategy,

Technical Consultant - Professional Services

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Due to the companies strong reputation the customer profile and opportunities are all enterprise level offering the chance to work with some of the latest technology products and vendors to deliver complex and challenging solutions. This results in a rewarding and varied career with the added benefit of working alongside some of the industries top technical professionals in their respective sector.

Cons

Engagements can be geographically diverse due to the ever expanding customer base, so there are inevitable travel requirements and this can also involve extended periods of time spent away from home.

Working for SCC

Current Employee - Senior Manager Within Sales in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Within Sales in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC

Pros

I have been with SCC for over 25 years as have many of my counterparts and many of the staff working for me also have 10, 15 and 20 years tenure. If your personal ethos is to work hard, be totally committed to a company and the customers you serve and have the highest levels of integrity then SCC is a great place to build a career. Additionally apart from the first role I was employed to do with SCC every subsequent role has been created for me as part of a significant career path progression. I am proud that many of the staff I have employed over the years have in turn become senior managers within SCC and of those that have left they have succeeded in their new companies.

Cons

SCC has been termed a marmite business to work for. If you want to work hard and be accountable then that's the culture within SCC if not you don't like marmite.

Fantastic Place to Build a Career

Current Employee - Report Writer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Report Writer in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Built on a culture of mutual respect, SCC has been a fantastic place to work. I have been encouraged to work my own way, and have been given any resources and support needed in order to perform to the best of my ability.
    As much as I enjoy my job itself, the people are what make working for SCC so fantastic. It's not just management that are supportive, but peers too. We often collaborate to drive results and I have never found myself in a situation where no support was available to me.
    It is definitely an environment where you succeed based on your own merits, so if you are willing to learn and work hard, this is definitely the place for you.

Cons

The car park gets very busy.

Feb 05, 2015SCC

Thank you for your review.

There are plans in place to improve the car parking facilities at our Birmingham campus.

Been here for a good few years, and hopefully a good few more to come.....

Current Employee - Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Contrary to what some others have said, I have, and still do, enjoy my time at SCC. I've had the opportunity to work with a broad variety of customers and managed to move up through a couple of positions. I do feel that my voice is heard and thoughts are valued, and this has helped me see change in the areas that I can influence, and working in the services business, the changes can be rapid, which make for a dynamic business.

Cons

It can be like a lot of large companies in that if you don't ask, you don't get. I've heard of people not get training, but I've never had training turned down if I could qualify why I need it.

Thank you for your review.

We have recently invested heavily in our Learning & Development capability to ensure that the range of development opportunities are understood and utilised
    ... More

This is one of the best companies I have worked for in my career and I have worked across a variety of companies.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at SCC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A very friendly and welcoming organisations with excellent work ethics good development and progression opportunities, very approachable CEO and senior executive teams, exciting times ahead with new initiatives and evolution of new service offerings becoming available all the time.

Cons

Not that I have experienced.

Thank you for your review.

In three years so much has improved for the better

I have been working at SCC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team: The team I work in work hard but also have a great sense of humour. Regular team meetings take place so that everyone knows about big projects, can express concerns and can offer advice to others, and understand expectations. Management are approachable and I feel comfortable speaking to them about any concerns.

Employee opportunities & Involvement: Good discount schemes, opportunites to get involved in charity events and better communications than ever with the CEO messages, company announcements and good news stories. As a result I feel more connected to what's going on in different areas within the business and also more connected to the other branches.

My experience: In the three years of being at SCC I have worked in two different departments. I have found that management have always encouraged me to aim higher with emphasis on working hard but also ensuring that I enjoyed the role. I have had some excellent opportunities whilst working here and have progressed my career, but that has not come without hard work, confidence and ambition.

Cons

Buildings are are bit dated, there could be some new/rotating work perks as the current ones may not suit all,

Thank you for your review.

We are currently reviewing all branding across our office locations which will include notable improvements in some areas.

Best of Both Worlds

I have been working at SCC

Pros

SCC are a family owned business that brings all the benefits of working for a flexible friendly workplace, with the economies of scale of a large company.

Genuine career development within an organisation that has it's finger on the pulse of all activities. approachable senior management and desire to improve as an organisation.

Ability to work in cutting edge projects and technology, with a great team.

This is a company for career people who want to progress.

Cons

Some areas of the business are in need of improvement, certainly in terms of systems and processes, but also our remuneration packages, pensions, cars etc..

This however has been recognised and a programme of works is currently underway to review.

Keep doing what you're doing - but improve communications to all staff!