Ryder System Reviews

Updated 26 August, 2014
Updated 26 August, 2014

2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching (in 10 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Edmonton team is one of the best set of co-workers I have ever had in my entire life and the Service Manager is by far, one of the best leaders I have ever had. A lot of high-level skills from the Mechanics. These guys work hard. If you don't like a fast-paced environment and are not a hard worker, this is not the place for you. Look elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of office politics from upper management. They really need to make some changes to upper management on the Western side of Canada side of things otherwise problems will continue.

Sorry guys, you really need to get your act together. On multiple occasions one of the Maintenance Managers of Western Canada had a bad habit of taking credit for other people's hard work and needlessly firing multiple employees who were doing a good job when things weren’t at the best, and did not take responsibility for not understanding his own job. Unfortunately, major problems will continue until this employee is re-trained as a Manager or is let go and replaced with someone competent.

satisfactory

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

if you dont g by the book they fire you.

no comments

Was an excellent job, overall, but needs improvement in enforcing human rights policies between employees.

Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver.  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

before recession,,company was excellent to work for..very good pay,benefits, and paid holidays.(unfortunately due to slowdown in G.M. car,trucks sales, may have lost their jobs in 2008 and 2009).

Cons

trucks are getting older and although pass MTO inspections,need improved repairs to radios,level of cab noise and new, better quality seats.

improved methods of dealing with employee against employee harassment issues..although policies in place,still to much nonsense goes on and very hard to prove and STOP!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people with good intent.

Current Employee - Logistics Project Manager  in  Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Project Manager in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are really great. Our office culture is pretty good, they try to show appreciation to employees and keep people informed through Town Hall meetings. Personally, I've had a good experience working here or I wouldn't have stayed so long.

Cons

Only way to get a real raise is to get a promotion, which I don't agree with. Once you get to a management position it is hard to move to a different account or vertical. Customer dictates everything - can sometimes lead to not having an identity as a Ryder employee. Customer demands can make it difficult to find time for training.

Need to really look at the culture of mainly giving raises via promotions. It should be easier to obtain merit raises for employees that may not be ready for a promo.

Good experience

Current Employee - Logistics Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Logistics Analyst in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company gives alot of experience

Cons

Contract employment is risky, not guaranteed.

Provide more advancement oppurtunities

Not a bad job if you dont mind the work

Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - DIESEL TECH II in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are set for the most part and you are paid an hourly wage.

Cons

Sometimes the managers dont know what they are doing. It was hard to get into the required classes to move up.

You have good workers, get them the training they need.

GOOD

Current Employee - Customer Logistics Manager  in  Niagara Falls, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Logistics Manager in Niagara Falls, NY (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent culture, good base pay

Cons

lack of safety focus, long hours, terrible raise structure

too much work not enough time, not enough help from the supervisors

Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

people, benefits, DOO really wants to take care of their employees

Cons

employees not pulling their own weight, supervisors lazy, pay is not enough for the work load and responsibility

more training, compensation for the work load, and time off for so much over time worked, management needs to look into temp employees when shops are short people, supervisors need to step up and discipline employees and not be biased to others/treat everyone the same (management 101)

Learn and quickly move on.

Current Employee - Transportation Analyst  in  Novi, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Transportation Analyst in Novi, MI (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience within Supply Chain...you have the opportunity to learn all aspects of transportation management.

Cons

Very demanding workload. Cannot be proactive only reactive due to internal/external requests. Often times having to take work home just to stay "some what" above water. Employees do no receive raises either...promotions are the only means to increase salary. Lastly, the training is very minimal...you have to learn a lot on the fly & depending on your department, there will definitely be a substantial amount of info to take in.

Take more time to train and develop staff. The "learn on the fly" approach only frustrates and hinders the professional development of staff and lowers moral of the entire office. The distribution of workload needs to be more realistic as well...setting realistic goals for respective teams enhances productivity.

over worked underpaid and management needs to learn how to discipline the workers that really don't work!

Current Employee - Material Handler/Analyst  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Material Handler/Analyst in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

most workers are really good people and real easy to work with.

Cons

to many workers take advantage of the weak management who really have given up on trying to keep people in line,it makes for horrible work days .i know of multiple people who have to seek help to get through the day and that's from the professionals that have medical credentials.i see people struggle financially ,everything is going up except the wage .they keep us all labeled as basic warehouse people so they don't have to pay us as what we really do ,like analyst is just a material handler and gets paid the same not professional.

grow a pair and talk to corp.

Worked for Ryder System? Contribute to the Community!