Ryder System

Updated 13 December, 2014
Updated 13 December, 2014
2.8

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Edmonton team is one of the best set of co-workers I have ever had in my entire life and the Service Manager is by far, one of the best leaders I have ever had. A lot of high-level skills from the Mechanics. These guys work hard. If you don't like a fast-paced environment and are not a hard worker, this is not the place for you. Look elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of office politics from upper management. They really need to make some changes to upper management on the Western side of Canada side of things otherwise problems will continue.

Sorry guys, you really need to get your act together. On multiple occasions one of the Maintenance Managers of Western Canada had a bad habit of taking credit for other people's hard work and needlessly firing multiple employees who were doing a good job when things weren’t at the best, and did not take responsibility for not understanding his own job. Unfortunately, major problems will continue until this employee is re-trained as a Manager or is let go and replaced with someone competent.

satisfactory

Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

if you dont g by the book they fire you.

no comments

Was an excellent job, overall, but needs improvement in enforcing human rights policies between employees.

Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

before recession,,company was excellent to work for..very good pay,benefits, and paid holidays.(unfortunately due to slowdown in G.M. car,trucks sales, may have lost their jobs in 2008 and 2009).

Cons

trucks are getting older and although pass MTO inspections,need improved repairs to radios,level of cab noise and new, better quality seats.

improved methods of dealing with employee against employee harassment issues..although policies in place,still to much nonsense goes on and very hard to prove and STOP!

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

Technology needs to be updated.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Benefits, time off, ability to grow

Cons

Too many meetings, upper management sometimes restricts upward advancement

good experience

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

good enviroment pay growth opportunities

Cons

benifits not that good only good opportunities if you like to travel

listen more to emplyees opionions

Decent Company Good Benefits

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will gain a plethora of knowledge and experience. Good entry level job right out of college. Decent benefits. They have no problem sending you to training which for me was always at headquarters in Miami, Fl.

Cons

Work/Life balance is extremely unbalanced. There was a high turnover rate in my department with management therefore standards were always changing. Policies and procedures were not enforced across the board therefore inconsistencies in expectations were a norm, which was very frustrating and often brought morale down. No room for growth.

Be consistent and practice impartiality.

A frustrating place to work that does not foster productivity.

Former Employee - Software Developer in Medley, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Medley, FL (US)

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

Dry Cleaning service. Cafeteria. Generally friendly people.

Cons

Serious operational issues make it extremely difficult to focus on actual work. Getting resources and permissions is a bureaucratic nightmare. Goals are often lofty, but responsibility is often left unassigned and details left unspecified, so these goals are left to stagnate. Ryder also has a culture of finger pointing and unnecessary meetings, and a lack of focus on productive work. There are a lot of long-time paper shufflers and bureaucrats at this large, slow-moving, disorganized company.

Lower barriers to resource and permissions access, and emphasize faster allocation of these. For example, if someone needs permissions to a database or server, the project owner or project manager should be able to grant them this access, since they are the person responsible for the project. Currently, a request like this would have to go through the project manager, then to at least one more person, typically in an unrelated IT department. Ultimately, the person who actually grants access is unfamiliar with the project, and is simply following the project managers orders, but in being involved drastically slows down the process.

Truck driver for GE account. Only black driver . Deliver aircraft parts.

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Burlington, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Burlington, KY (US)

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good pay n nice equipment. Been here 4yrs. Decent benefits. Drive new trucks.

Cons

No blacks. Been called n word. Stereotypical thinking, biases opinions that impede employment opportunities n growth

Affirmative action is necessary, specially when you're a contractor for GE , who deals with military contracts. Meetings. Communication, with employees. Never a excuse for that many people n one black. Adress head on and stop sweeping under the rug

Terrible experience with this company.

Former Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Bensenville, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Bensenville, IL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was opportunity for advancement within the company eventually i suppose, however, you are stuck as a salaried employee behind the rental counter handling issues with truck drivers all day and nit compensated nearly enough.

Cons

Everything about it was negative for me. I was initially offered the position with a salary of $35,000/yr but ended up talking them up to $40,000/yr. In the end I was losing money overall.

Reorganization