Ryder System

Updated 28 February, 2015
Updated 28 February, 2015
2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Edmonton team is one of the best set of co-workers I have ever had in my entire life and the Service Manager is by far, one of the best leaders I have ever had. A lot of high-level skills from the Mechanics. These guys work hard. If you don't like a fast-paced environment and are not a hard worker, this is not the place for you. Look elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of office politics from upper management. They really need to make some changes to upper management on the Western side of Canada side of things otherwise problems will continue.

Sorry guys, you really need to get your act together. On multiple occasions one of the Maintenance Managers of Western Canada had a bad habit of taking credit for other people's hard work and needlessly firing multiple employees who were doing a good job when things weren’t at the best, and did not take responsibility for not understanding his own job. Unfortunately, major problems will continue until this employee is re-trained as a Manager or is let go and replaced with someone competent.

satisfactory

Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

if you dont g by the book they fire you.

no comments

Was an excellent job, overall, but needs improvement in enforcing human rights policies between employees.

Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

before recession,,company was excellent to work for..very good pay,benefits, and paid holidays.(unfortunately due to slowdown in G.M. car,trucks sales, may have lost their jobs in 2008 and 2009).

Cons

trucks are getting older and although pass MTO inspections,need improved repairs to radios,level of cab noise and new, better quality seats.

improved methods of dealing with employee against employee harassment issues..although policies in place,still to much nonsense goes on and very hard to prove and STOP!

Great company to work for. Worked in IT and they were flexible yet demanding. They always understood any family issues

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, family friendly. Great culture.

Cons

None that really affected me in any way.

None. I think Mr Sanchez is doing a great job!

I loved working for Ryder, I was there almost ten years and found them to be a great company to work for.

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

They were flexible and always understanding of any family issues and need to balance work and family.

Cons

I don't have any negative things to say about Ryder.

I think their CEO, Robert Sanchez, is doing a great job,

great comoany no changes needed

Current Employee - RSR in Florence, SC (US)
    Current Employee - RSR in Florence, SC (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upper managment are great and give perks

Cons

none smooth as silk company

managment is great you win some loose some

good job

Current Employee - Case Picker
    Current Employee - Case Picker

I have been working at Ryder System full-time

Pros

good money good enviorment job security.Its a very good company to start your warehouse career lots of safety training. also learn how to drive a pallet jack and forklift.

Cons

hard to get hours at times my schedule has changed a couple times but it is a start up site i knew it was possible going in to this job.

open up a little bit its hard to talk to you all at times and we all have stress. Just take a deep breathe.

IT

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

great company love the environment

Cons

hard to move up the ladder

learn more about your team

I wonder if corporate knows what goes on in the field.

Current Employee - MFU in Marion, IN (US)
    Current Employee - MFU in Marion, IN (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The starting wage is decent. There is an emphasis on customer service. The company has an excellent tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

The company pays half-time rather than time and a half for overtime, which is mandatory at times. Human resources is very lax about replying to people and often their replies are not truthful. There seems to be discrimination towards people who require FMLA. Raises are extremely minimal and amount to mere cents, even if you get the maximum raise. There seem to be no genuine opportunities for professional growth.

Pay closer attention to what goes on outside of your corporate offices. People are not happy and I suspect that some of the things that go on border on illegal. Provide people in the field opportunities to develop professionally and do things to foster employee loyalty.

Job is Good for Entry Level Logistics Career, but wouldn't Recommend Long-Term

Former Employee - Account Lead in Novi, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Account Lead in Novi, MI (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Co-workers are friendly. It is a clean, safe, environment. One can learn a lot about logistics in a short amount a time.

Cons

There is really no room for advancement.. The hours can change at the drop of a hat for some departments so there is no work/life balance. People who take their lunches and breaks are looked down upon. High turnover, no training systems or manuals in place, high pressure environment There is no open door policy. If you do not agree with management and the policies being made, then you are shunned, and once you are shunned they will work against you until you leave or they find a way to fire you.

Start to actually listen to the employees and care about employee morale. Pay all salary employees real overtime. Treat your employees as if you would want to be treated. Get rid of the favoritism. There are great people that work at Ryder. Please do not continue to overwork them.

Ryder System Photos