Ryder System

Updated 26 November, 2014
Updated 26 November, 2014
2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Department works on the point system no real interest in value of employee's at lower levels work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Edmonton team is one of the best set of co-workers I have ever had in my entire life and the Service Manager is by far, one of the best leaders I have ever had. A lot of high-level skills from the Mechanics. These guys work hard. If you don't like a fast-paced environment and are not a hard worker, this is not the place for you. Look elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of office politics from upper management. They really need to make some changes to upper management on the Western side of Canada side of things otherwise problems will continue.

Sorry guys, you really need to get your act together. On multiple occasions one of the Maintenance Managers of Western Canada had a bad habit of taking credit for other people's hard work and needlessly firing multiple employees who were doing a good job when things weren’t at the best, and did not take responsibility for not understanding his own job. Unfortunately, major problems will continue until this employee is re-trained as a Manager or is let go and replaced with someone competent.

satisfactory

Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

if you dont g by the book they fire you.

no comments

Was an excellent job, overall, but needs improvement in enforcing human rights policies between employees.

Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

before recession,,company was excellent to work for..very good pay,benefits, and paid holidays.(unfortunately due to slowdown in G.M. car,trucks sales, may have lost their jobs in 2008 and 2009).

Cons

trucks are getting older and although pass MTO inspections,need improved repairs to radios,level of cab noise and new, better quality seats.

improved methods of dealing with employee against employee harassment issues..although policies in place,still to much nonsense goes on and very hard to prove and STOP!

Decent Company Good Benefits

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will gain a plethora of knowledge and experience. Good entry level job right out of college. Decent benefits. They have no problem sending you to training which for me was always at headquarters in Miami, Fl.

Cons

Work/Life balance is extremely unbalanced. There was a high turnover rate in my department with management therefore standards were always changing. Policies and procedures were not enforced across the board therefore inconsistencies in expectations were a norm, which was very frustrating and often brought morale down. No room for growth.

Be consistent and practice impartiality.

awesome place to work

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

personal growth, the people are great

Cons

leadership and management style needs some work

Safety Driven Company

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good pay, benefits and tools to get the job done. Otr drivers make bonuses and are treated very well (when always on guard about safety). Plenty of work if your dedicated to long hours as any good or bad paid trucking job. Its dedicated work, meaning you're on a certain type of account with its own customer they supply moving freight for. The best kind of work in my opinion. If for some reason your account is out of a job Ryder has a lot of jobs that you can transfer to without losing seniority at the company. No need to fill out new applications.

Cons

You are completely under the gun for any mistakes with DOT and its unacceptable to Ryder for any missed permits or paperwork, mechanical or physical problems that are left unattended. You may have to switch trucks when yours is in the shop and a rental sub is provided. Yet the rental dept will give you a truck completely unsatisfactory for the road with missed paperwork, decals like DOT stickers and even company name. Also rental trucks are very filthy and they won't really have much simpathy for you. Depends on what kind of manager you have to meet your concerns. Lastly being a truck driver is a con all by itself, nobody cares about your long hours and customers don't care about violating log hours. They just need there freight. Also electronic logs make it hard when you ten minutes away from your terminal and out of hours. So plan on staying in the truck another night.

They do there best and I cant give them any problems. With my account I have an outstanding manager. Upper management will cut cost by cutting jobs making it near impossible to get all the work done on time. And keeping drivers that don't get anything done making it harder for the ones that do

I work with a great team.

Current Employee - Mechanic
    Current Employee - Mechanic

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We get to work on late model equipment in clean safe shops. Ryder supplies OEM diagnostics and manuals. Good pay, decent benefits. Lease equipment to lots of customers so not as worried about layoffs. Company stock purchase program.

Cons

We are on call lots, phone rings at all hours for all the trucks in your fleet and if its broke down in your area or if someone needs something from the shop you got to go in and pretty quick, no home life and little sleep those weeks and still expected to perform well on your regular shifts. Generally rotate calls with only a few techs, so your number comes back up pretty quick. If you don't have a shift following your shift, well don't plan anything when you are scheduled to go home either.

Keep the doors open 24/7, its trucking

Love my Career Choice

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growing and strong Company
    Opportunity if you are willing to travel
    Hard working and Good people throughout the company.
    It's always customer first

Cons

Lack of Sr Executive presence and accountability. (Group Director and Up).
    Lots of Travel and no "Work Life Balance"
    Poor IT systems
    Support of employees only occurs at Headquarters, double standards

Staffing levels at locations don't support the requirement causing overworked Management failure and turn over.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Field Supply Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Field Supply Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth with exceptional work and availability to move. Good benefits. Good people.

Cons

Little advancement if you aren't willing to move

School

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Smart people all over.
    - Good Compensation and benefits.
    - Tons of room to grow

Cons

- Leadership has changed to worse over the last 4 years.

Ryder System Photos