Ryder System Reviews

Updated 16 October, 2014
Updated 16 October, 2014
2.9

Robert E. Sanchez

Pros
  • As a leading-edge Fortune 500 company with expanding global presence, we recognize our employees - our knowledge capital - as our most valuable asset (in 7 reviews)

• The company maintains an excellent good work-life balance for its employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is NO real work/life balance and it always feels like big brother is watching (in 12 reviews)

• After my resignation, upper management shunned me (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Edmonton team is one of the best set of co-workers I have ever had in my entire life and the Service Manager is by far, one of the best leaders I have ever had. A lot of high-level skills from the Mechanics. These guys work hard. If you don't like a fast-paced environment and are not a hard worker, this is not the place for you. Look elsewhere.

Cons

A lot of office politics from upper management. They really need to make some changes to upper management on the Western side of Canada side of things otherwise problems will continue.

Sorry guys, you really need to get your act together. On multiple occasions one of the Maintenance Managers of Western Canada had a bad habit of taking credit for other people's hard work and needlessly firing multiple employees who were doing a good job when things weren’t at the best, and did not take responsibility for not understanding his own job. Unfortunately, major problems will continue until this employee is re-trained as a Manager or is let go and replaced with someone competent.

satisfactory

Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Calgary, AB

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

if you dont g by the book they fire you.

no comments

Was an excellent job, overall, but needs improvement in enforcing human rights policies between employees.

Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Route Manager, Truck Driver. in Toronto, ON

I worked at Ryder System

Pros

before recession,,company was excellent to work for..very good pay,benefits, and paid holidays.(unfortunately due to slowdown in G.M. car,trucks sales, may have lost their jobs in 2008 and 2009).

Cons

trucks are getting older and although pass MTO inspections,need improved repairs to radios,level of cab noise and new, better quality seats.

improved methods of dealing with employee against employee harassment issues..although policies in place,still to much nonsense goes on and very hard to prove and STOP!

Great opportunity to get real, hands on work experience that is very valuable for growth and developement.

Current Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Rental Management Trainee in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Big influence on what happens at your branch.

Cons

Can get very busy especially when working alone. But these times are far in between and can help prepare you for more opportunities to move up.

Continue to hire/promote from within.

Consistent, Stable and Traditional.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Ryder System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere at the corporate headquarters is friendly and professional. The cafeteria is amazing, and there are other conveniences as well (gift shop, coffee bar, credit union, gym, dry cleaning and occasional 'fairs' with extras--like crafts, etc). It values those with a military background and you will do well if you have one, to help you navigate within the structure/hierarchy of the company. Work and life are fairly balanced, and there is an 'old tradition' feel to the way they don't expect work to happen during non-business hours.

Cons

The company values consistency--a byproduct of needing to report quarterly to shareholders. Don't expect dramatic shifts, new technology or excitement over significant innovation unless they have created a committee to vet the idea, presented the idea to a board and gained approval from multiple senior leaders. Change happens slowly, and often times it is behind that of the competitions. But, it does happen. There is a formal communication pipeline (hierarchy must be respected and it is more top to bottom than vice versa) so while management alerts employees about news, it feels more one-way and can cause employees to gossip because they don't have an outlet to discuss their concerns to higher ups.

Innovation comes from calculated risk. To stay competitive, sometimes evolution is necessary. Creating an open channel where employees can openly ask questions about goals, initiatives and news may be a good idea.

Great experience in my tenure

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

If you work hard and do your job well you will get promoted. This is a large company and still growing so there are plenty of opportunities in sales, finance, operations, etc.

Cons

I really wish the commission structure didn't change as often as it does

Keep up the good work.

Good company that focuses on taking care of employees.

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and care for employees. Stock discount purchasing program, 401 k match, tuition assistance, etc.

Cons

Same as most large companies, communication gets lost in translation at times. Overall very few cons.

More discussion between departments and verticals.

Adequate pay for long hours

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryder System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible in schedule, mostly local work. Lots of different contacts, but hard to switch. Safety is #1, but expect to fight tooth and nail to defend your decisions.

Cons

Lots of middle management with no clue about trucking. Local terminal managers have very little real power, and senior managers are in Florida. Lots of deaf ears about any kind of issues.

Make driver pay more competitive across the board, and listen to your local terminal managers more. Wayyyyyy too much middle-management red tape.

Good people, too much nepotism

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Good environment, very social. Gym onsite as well as cafeteria.

Cons

Work too much and inefficiently. Systems are dated which results in much manual reporting and errors.

Need to focus on process improvement.

Great company and people.

I have been working at Ryder System

Pros

Company culture and people are great!

Cons

No room for advancement, not competitive wages.

Promote from within.