Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated 28 October, 2014
4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Not all divisions of Ryan are a "great place to work"

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

If you are in the right division at Ryan, there are opportunities. Ryan provides good service offerings.

Cons

MyRyan is great -in theory, but poorly implemented in the division where I worked. Senior management refused to hire the appropriate resources, therefore you had to work until 1-2 am just to keep up. When you did take time off, you were still required to attend client calls, emails, et. Mature women are not embraced in my division.

Please walk your talk. Mr. Ryan, if you are truly serious about making your firm a great place to work, then you need to be open to feedback that points out which piece of your business are broken. When people do try to speak up, retaliation occurs.

Great place to start.

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of freedom, flexible work schedule. Worked at home whenever I wanted. Even allowed me to live out-of-state and still excel at my job. Good place to acquire skills to break into a big four firm.

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up. Especially compared to other companies, there is not a lot of fostering of talent. Little to no client interaction at a low level.

Same response from superiors regardless of whether engagement level is high or low. Without room to grow (or at least to appearance of room to grow), there isn't a lot of motivation to be ambitious. The firm could be missing out on many rising professionals for this reason. Although maybe that doesn't matter, since the firm has a reputation internally for not promoting from within.

If you want to be in tax, this is the place to be in terms of career development and growth.

Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong management team with good growth potential.

Cons

Boring, lots of menial job tasks.

Okay for an entry level position

Former Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Time-off policies

Cons

- Low salary
    - High turnover rates

Overworked, under paid

Former Employee - Manager Or Above

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The concept of MyRyan (work where ever, when ever) is great but poor implementation.

Cons

It is not a healthy work environment. Certain departments are very understaffed therefore you have to work very long hours (2 am) to complete your work. Certain departments are still very chauvinistic, creating a hostile work environment towards women. I had very high expectations based on the story Ryan was selling. However, it was a very disappointing experience. HR and upper management are not interested in feedback or receiving concerns regarding the environment.

Walk your talk. If you really want to make it a great place to work, be open to all feedback--even feedback that says you aren't doing so well.

There is no work life balance--only work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are very smart, and very good at what they do. Brint Ryan is a visionary and very dynamic.

Cons

Their "work/life balance" program, myRyan, does not work. Your work is never done, and many of the leaders don't respect boundaries--no time is sacred--not the middle of the night, not holidays, not weekends....they will call and email you and expect a response.

Learn to tell what is truly an emergency and what isn't. People need time off to disengage from work.

Working for a company that has great goals, vision and leadership. Poor insurance options and decent compensation.

Current Employee - Analyst Role
    Current Employee - Analyst Role

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance. Lots of PTO and flexibility. Great office location. Very thoughtful Firm Meetings.

Cons

Insurance is really pricey out of pocket. It's been difficult to stay satisfied here when other well known companies offer better insurance and compensation. Ryan wants the Best talent but isn't willing to up the ante.

Keep up the great work, and try and dialogue on a friendly level once in a while.

Overall great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility and work from home policy. Hours can be long at times and short at others. When you have proven yourself, you will have a lot of flexibility to work the way you want. There is the potential to make a high bonuses, but see the noted cons. Overall, I would recommend Ryan to someone who is looking for a good place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for someone new out of college to get some really valuable business experience and have a fun time with the great people that work there.

Cons

The experience you have varies significantly depends on the team you are on. The area is very niche and although there are exit opportunities to go to the Big 4 and industry, I would doubt that any of these would compare or compete with some of the great things Ryan offers. Ryan is growing to completely own this industry in an almost scary way. As a CPA with 5 years of experience in a general tax area or general area of accounting you can work almost anywhere. With 5 years of experience at Ryan you will not have this same type of flexibility.

Create a discretionary yearly bonuses that is only loosely based off teams revenue. The way success is measured is sometimes a demotivating factor.

Getting better by the week

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing! In 2014 my husband's health insurance was so bad we switched to mine. I'm happy to have an employer who cares about the health of their employees!

Cons

Pay not consisten with industry/city standards

I'm treated as a professional

Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding. In addition, management is willing to listen to employees through town-hall meetings.

Cons

No issues with the firm

Keep striving to improve employees.