Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated 23 August, 2014

4.0

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

The use of myRyan is absolutely exceptional. This allows employees to work from any location, without the need to be in the office. Because Ryan is structured as a team environment, the use of myRyan is heavily dependent upon whether your manager wishes to use it for your team. Many teams do not use it often. Depending on which division you are in (sales and use, unclaimed property, etc), there will be opportunities for travel. There is no micro-managing - however, this is dependent upon your team. In my team, there was micro-managing. The firm offers a variety of free courses to further your knowledge via RyanNet.

Cons

Because of the use of myRyan, the business is driven by work performed and not hours worked. There have been numerous occasions where my manager would send me e-mails at 2am. Consequently, there is no work-life balance. Your experience at Ryan will be extremely dependent upon whose team you are in. Your success is dependent upon who is you team leader/manager. The benefits at the firm are not that great either: pay, bonus, health insurance. Because Ryan is a specialty tax firm, make sure this is the career you want to be in. The skills you acquire here will not transfer easily to another firm. I believe that unless you are in the Dallas HQ office, you will not enjoy your time here.

When you promote someone to a managerial position, make sure you give them all of the necessary training BEFORE they assume that position. Additionally, re-structure your training program for new hires. the on-boarding process was nonexistent. Lastly, understand your employee morale outside of the Dallas HQ. Don't put so much emphasis on random surveys that you make your employees fill out almost every month.

Getting better by the week

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are amazing! In 2014 my husband's health insurance was so bad we switched to mine. I'm happy to have an employer who cares about the health of their employees!

Cons

Pay not consisten with industry/city standards

I'm treated as a professional

Current Employee - Ano  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Ano in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding. In addition, management is willing to listen to employees through town-hall meetings.

Cons

No issues with the firm

Keep striving to improve employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential for greatness but stuck at mediocre.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of work, very philanthropic company, myRyan platform provides opportunities to work outside of the office for some.

Cons

Pay is not great, medical benefits are expensive, 401 K benefits are not good, myRyan is not available for all especially in corporate services departments like Finance.

Pay is very low considering all of the hoops you are required to jump through and how much work there is to do constantly. Systems are slow and outdated plus every step is repeated which takes up a huge amount of time. Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform. I have noticed management is a bit controlling which I believe is why some can't utilize myRyan.

The company I worked for before Ryan offered 100% matching on 401 K and the medical benefits paid more and covered more. For instance if you sign up for a High Deductible plan, my former employer would deposit $500 for single person, or $1000 for a family into an HSA account to help with the costs and you were responsible for $2700 deductible and after that it was 80/20 until you reached $5500 then everything was paid 100%.

Would be nice to see Ryan take better care of their employees.

We are professional, please treat us as such. Most of us would love our jobs if we were given the same opportunities as other Ryan associates. Moral would improve if the above stipulations were met. We all want to be treated fairly and appreciated as well as treated like adults.

Brilliant place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Motivating Leaders, Inspiring Vision and achievements, Transparent work culture

Cons

It gets better every day

With the path designed and being followed by Ryan; it will definitely meet its goals, earlier then expected

Getting used to it

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

MyRyan is great work/life balance tool

Cons

Conservative politically and socially doesn't jibe with my views.

My overall experience at Ryan was absolutely incredible, and I can not imagine a better internship.

Former Employee - Property Tax Intern  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Property Tax Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC as an intern for less than a year

Pros

* You will receive very competitive pay as an intern, and it helps to add to the idea that you are important to Ryan as the other team members will also make clear to you.

* Team environment where you are surrounded by competent, intelligent, hard-working, extremely amicable and helpful coworkers.

* The property tax division is very fast paced as interns are brought in during the busy season, but the advantage to the system is that you are almost instantly working on the same basic projects as the senior consultants and managers (you are helping them with pieces of their larger projects).

* You begin delving into commercial real estate and property tax analysis almost as soon as you arrive and get set up. This allows you to start learning useful things right away.

* You will have a chance to really learn and work in Excel during your internship and will start learning market conditions in your office's regional coverage area. Insights into how property taxes work and how the laws differ from one jurisdiction to the next.

* The property tax division is the probably the most team-oriented inside Ryan as every project is touched by multiple hands/minds.

Cons

* For interns, you will be limited to a 40 hour work schedule, but that may not be an issue unless you are hoping for overtime and trying to save up more money for college, etc.

* Honestly, I can't see too many cons to this internship. It was much better than I could have ever expected, and you will get tons of practical and useable knowledge and skills from it.

Great Experience

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

New and skillful work given with different daily objectives. Key to understand big picture and improving upon it.

Cons

I did not experience any downsides of working for Ryan LLC. I enjoyed my time while i was there.

A little bit of training should be given before starting the job.

Great Experience, so far

Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The opportunity to manage my time and work where I need to - The flexibility of myRyan allows me to work from home or while traveling as needed.
    -I have been supported (and occasionally rewarded) in my ambitions and life goals (CPA, volunteering, etc)
    -Ryan is increasing the focus on personal health and well-being - (realizing this affects productivity as well)

Cons

-I know that much of the flexibility is dependent on your manager/office.
    -The bonus structure is generous, but HIGHLY dependent on the project you are assigned, thereby rewarding more on luck than hard work.
    -At times we have been expected by upper management to produce results "yesterday" that are completely out of our control (ie. getting decisions/responses and updates from the state government, vendors or clients; even after multiple follow-ups and pushing)

Continue to push for greatness and work with your employees to overcome the obstacles (internal and external). People will tell you what they think if you ask them.

Terrible place to START your career

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility is how people describe, although it depends to some extent on the type of work you perform and your manager.

Cons

I've seen a few reviews state that Ryan is a great/good/decent place to start your career. Here's why it's the exact opposite:

When you get hired, you're either an "experienced hire" or a regular hire. Experienced hires in this case may have direct experience (they come from a competitor where they performed the same basic job functions), or indirect experience (their previous work had direct similarities to their job at Ryan, but was not the same job; e.g. you worked for a REIT and now you'll be a property tax consultant).

Experienced hires have significantly higher salaries, which makes sense since they are more valuable starting out. However, regular hires obviously become experienced at some point, but Ryan has no mechanism for recognizing this. Therefore, someone who comes in as a regular hire will generally always be paid significantly less than experienced hires regardless of results, education, ability, responsibilities, etc.

Imagine two people, we'll call Ralph and Betsie who graduate college together. Ralph lands a new job as a Property Tax Consultant at Ryan, and Betsie lands the same job but at Ryan's competitor, Lame Tax Consulting. Ralph has a starting salary of $41,000 which he thinks is decent. Over the next 5 years, Ralph performs admirably and earns a 5% raise each year, now making $52,328. Betsie's company goes under and Betsie calls her old friend Ralph who manages to get her a job on his team in the same position he has. But Betsie is now an experienced hire, so Betsie gets hired at $70,000.

Both Ralph and Betsie now have 5 years of experience, they have the same responsibilities, the tax savings they generate over the course of the next year is within $10,000 of one another - meaning their revenue is within a couple hundred dollars - but during his 5 years, Ralph also managed to earn a master's degree. When raise and promotion comes around in October, they will both earn 5%, now making $54,944 and $73,500, respectively. Ralph will never be paid what Betsie is paid, despite being equally valuable to the company (in some ways Ralph is more valuable because of his familiarity with Ryan's policies and procedures).

Even if Ralph is promoted above Betsie, he will not catch up to her salary-wise. He may get 10% instead of 5% (though that is unusual).

Ralph's only hope of being paid his market value is to leave Ryan, to the detriment of his team.

Hence Ryan has created a system whereby it incentivizes the resources it has spent thousands of dollars training and grooming, to leave precisely when they become most valuable to the company.

Your starting salaries are fair for the most part. HR does a decent job of setting up the brackets. If anything, certain people are paid way more than they're worth in the beginning. But the compensation committee tends to base raises as a percentage increase of employees' existing salaries. The problem with this line of thinking is that for some people, at some point their existing salary becomes completely divorced from their value to the company.

An extremely intelligent person who comes here straight out of college ready to prove themself is probably ok with his starting salary; but once he's proven himself, once he's gained valuable knowledge and training, once he's demonstrated that he can use that knowledge and training to consistently outperform his peers, no consideration is given. No adjustment is made. He gets the same congratulatory letter with the same 5% raise as his well-paid experienced-hire teammates who rely upon him to solve the complex problems they are incapable of solving.

And therein lies the central flaw in the whole concept: how does the compensation committee, made up of people who have never met the individual or his teammates, who have no knowledge of the daily work the person performs, know that he solves these problems? How do they know his value to the company? How CAN they possibly? Especially when they overrule the suggestion of his manager (without even discussing it with the manager) who IS privy to this information.

So I guess my suggestion is fairly simple, or maybe it's complex, I don't know.

First, implement a sort of premium into the raise component for regular hires that reflects the experience they gain from working at Ryan. Make it a straight-line, accelerating, or diminishing increase, whichever makes the most sense in your opinion, for the first 3 - 5 years of employment, contingent upon results, performance evaluations, etc.

Second, when the compensation committee asks for feedback from managers during the raise and promotion cycle, include information about performance relative to teammates as well as how their salaries compare. 5-10% salary variance among similarly qualified teammates based on experience, age, education, etc. seems acceptable, but 30% is indefensible without some performance-based reasoning.

Third, to address the immediate disparity that exists from the absence to date of such a program, launch a review of salaries of normal hires with 3+ years of experience and seek extensive feedback from their managers with regard to their performance and perceived value relative to their experienced hire peers. Adjust salaries as needed.

I also highly suggest that you look up the Equity Theory of Motivation - you can find it on Wikipedia if needs be - for why this is a much bigger problem than you might otherwise believe. WIN emails and workplace awards DO NOT motivate employees beyond the weak-minded, highly suggestible, and usually recent hires. Long-term motivation is impossible when your teammates are making 150% of your salary for the same (or less) work, and attrition is inevitable.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!