Ryan, LLC

Updated 16 January, 2015
4.1

Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Provides and excellent opportunity to learn about sales tax and share this knowledge with our clients.

Current Employee - Manager, Client Support Services in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager, Client Support Services in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to make suggestions for improvement or make to make changes to imporve processes and are allowed to run with new endeavors or initiatives without much interferece from senior management. Whenever an employees takes charge of a new initiative they are typically acknowledged for their efforts.

Cons

In some situations senior management agrees to or decides to take on some work or project without consulting the groups affected or considering the current capicity of the groups involved.

When action items are assigned at Town Hall meetings a report back to the employees should be made to keep them informed on the status of the action item. When senior management accepts a meeting they should do their best to attend the meeting or send a note they will not be attending. Too often meetings are accepted by senior management and they do not show up. Where they do show at a meeting they are almost always late.

Not what it appears to be

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best in Class service to clients. Strong Marketing. Has all the tools to be a great place to work.

Cons

Company politics and a wild west approach to sales make this a difficult place to work. With such rapid growth into other countries, the philosophies of Ryan H/O to do not transfer to their international branches.

Listen to the employees that leave your company. With such a great product and service the main reason people leave is leadership.

Working at Ryan

Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

MyRyan - allows a work-life balance, especially if you have a young family.
    Some of the best professionals in their field work at Ryan. Excellent atmosphere and work ethics.

Cons

Very aggressive recovery measures - if you generate money for the firm all is well, otherwise expect to be out rather quickly.

Great place to work for new college graduates

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work flexibility - Work from home, setting own hours, flexible for families and children
    People - Really friendly and easy to work with people
    Reputable - Great for experience and a place to start a career

Cons

Demanding - Like all financial related firms, clients are everything. Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the firm.
    Traveling - Sometimes traveling can be a little too much
    Benefits - Benefits are not amazing but will get you by

Management is doing great

Flexible Work Environment

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Work-life balance, Schedule flexibility, Training, Incentive-based compensation

Cons

Work-life balance can be limited based on your role and team

Has been very inviting. Atmosphere is overall wonderful. CEO, Mr. Brint, cares for his employees!

Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation is average however there are opportunities for bonuses. Mr. Brint obviously cares for each employee individually and expresses it often through motivational emails. Work-life balance is great due to a program at Ryan called MyRyan. It allows you to work at your own pace and set your own schedule (from home).

Cons

There are some mundane tasks, however many companies are.

Enjoying the Benefits & Impact of a Small Business under the Protection of a Corporate Umbrella.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You really matter at Ryan. Your opinion and insights are valued by everyone. Since Ryan is relatively new as compared to some of the country's oldest tax firms, the company structure lends itself to one where the highest in the company hear you. The flexible work schedule driven by results is a benefit that any small business owner can appreciate, but as an employee of Ryan, you also have the corporate protection of base-pay with incentives to drive revenue through Ryan's bonus structure. Our team environment is really what you want to make it, and I couldn't ask for a better situation in terms of a corporation that listens to me, provides a flexible works schedule, and rewards me for the value I contribute to the company through the generous bonus structure.

Cons

Ryan has growing pains due to its aggressive expansion, which is understandable. The growing pains are actually opportunities for employees to provide value and insight that can really shape the firm as it drives towards the future.

Continue your generosity, recognition, and guidance. Whether you actively see it or not, you make many of us want to come to work each day and many of us don't mind putting in the time to find savings opportunities for our clients. Some days are tough, but it makes it easier to get through them when we enjoy the fight and we have your encouragement and leadership.

Great Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax
    Current Employee - Consultant, Sales and Use Tax

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary for entry-level job. Small regional office but very accommodating for desired work hours with the MyRyan program.

Cons

MyRyan program truly depends on the mentality of your manager/director. Although in theory, setting your own hours and working from home is encouraged, it truly falls onto the expectations of your manager and the office environment he/she is trying to create.

Ryan will be my employer for life!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company is perfect for me. I am a type A, hard charger who wants to have unlimited earning potential based on results. That is what Ryan is all about. The low base, high bonus compensation model set up for the majority of the practices (I am in sales and use tax) is the way to go. If you are a self-starter, tax technical, disciplined and eager/hungry, this is the place for you.

I have made way more money at Ryan than I would have anywhere else. It is about more than the money though. Ryan LIVES by its Purpose and Core Values. It isn't something that their marketing department came up with that just sounds good. Every word has meaning and leadership walks the walk and talks the talk. There is no doubt about it. Those in leadership positions still work directly on client accounts every day and are on the front lines. They know what is going on because they are living it.

And the clients are Fortune 1000 companies where I have made many friends. They know and trust the capabilities of Ryan and have confidence and a commitment from our CEO that we will figure it out, leave no stone unturned, and be creative in our solutions. We won't close the project until we have the best result possible. We stick with it until the end. Not many firms do that as they are too busy looking at engagement economics, particuarly on contingency fee engagements.

Cons

There are occassionally growing pains but that is expected with a high-growth company. I would rather have pains here and there than be with a company that is stagnant.

Continue to hire people like me. I want to be surrounded by those who want to succeed and will do whatever it takes to succeed by coming up with creative ideas, being thorough in their work, and commiting whatever time it takes to get the job done to the highest standards.

Invest in Corporate Services to build a top-notch, proactive team to support the high growth business.

Great experience

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Good bonus if you assigned on a good team. Flexible hours.

Cons

If you do not assigned to a good senior, you are on your own to learn and explore the way to get work done.

Need better training