Ryan, LLC Reviews

239 reviews filtered by
4.0
Ryan, LLC Chairman and CEO G. Brint Ryan
G. Brint Ryan

Pros
  • Work life balance, lucrative bonuses if you get on the right team, client services (in 38 reviews)

• The ability to work from home is a plus, but this also means that you are on call at all times (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform (in 8 reviews)

• The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse (in 9 reviews)

1. Stop and think before you lose more great talent!

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Ryan is a great company to work for. There are lots of opportunities to make substantial commission unless you are in corporate.
    Personally, I work in a remote office from the head quarter and I enjoy working with management. I try to volunteer as much as I can but those opportunities are limited.

Cons

The expectations of management are very high. The problem is, there are some staff who don't have enough work while others have too much. I support alot of users. This affects my quality of work, response time and availability which will ultimately affect my bonus due to clients' surveys.

Advice to Management

My advise to management is:
    1) Listen to your staff and provide additional resources as required. Losing a strong talent will cost more to replace.
    2) Over working an employee will cause the him/her to not use their creative ability or propose new solutions. Ryan has great talents but employees don't have the time to share some ideas because of the workload.

Not what it appears to be

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best in Class service to clients. Strong Marketing. Has all the tools to be a great place to work.

Cons

Company politics and a wild west approach to sales make this a difficult place to work. With such rapid growth into other countries, the philosophies of Ryan H/O to do not transfer to their international branches.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees that leave your company. With such a great product and service the main reason people leave is leadership.

3. Provides and excellent opportunity to learn about sales tax and share this knowledge with our clients.

Current Employee - Manager, Client Support Services in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Manager, Client Support Services in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are encouraged to make suggestions for improvement or make to make changes to imporve processes and are allowed to run with new endeavors or initiatives without much interferece from senior management. Whenever an employees takes charge of a new initiative they are typically acknowledged for their efforts.

Cons

In some situations senior management agrees to or decides to take on some work or project without consulting the groups affected or considering the current capicity of the groups involved.

Advice to Management

When action items are assigned at Town Hall meetings a report back to the employees should be made to keep them informed on the status of the action item. When senior management accepts a meeting they should do their best to attend the meeting or send a note they will not be attending. Too often meetings are accepted by senior management and they do not show up. Where they do show at a meeting they are almost always late.

5. Working at Ryan

Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Consultant in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

MyRyan - allows a work-life balance, especially if you have a young family.
    Some of the best professionals in their field work at Ryan. Excellent atmosphere and work ethics.

Cons

Very aggressive recovery measures - if you generate money for the firm all is well, otherwise expect to be out rather quickly.

6. Look out here we come ! Ryan is growing at an unprecedented rate which makes for a fluid and exciting environment.

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

World class services give us the edge going to market. We are redefining how corp. tax services are provided. We have a completely flexible work environment and is results based on performance toward preset goals. Work life balance is REAL at Ryan. You are accountable to your goals and superior results.

Cons

The rules don't always apply to everyone and there are no bones made about this, it's a fact of life at Ryan. To get to 1 Billion, rules should be applied universally. Generally speaking there is a lower than market starting base salary.

Advice to Management

Account ownership rules need to universally be applied to all principals and service professionals alike and in all markets (including Canada!) Long term Ryan Principals are sitting on dormant prospects which are potentially large clients. This inactivity holds us all back. We are talking multiple years plus that they are sitting on accounts. We should have reasonable guidelines in place. They need to know the clock is ticking on their (in)activity and progress levels. Competition is healthy for everyone.

7. We work lots of hours, but the team environment makes it worth the work.

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Team environment, younger company, good corporate structure, and we also get all the resources needed to be effective at our jobs.

Cons

The work can be boring and not very challenging at some points.
    Hard to make good bonuses if your team isn't assigned the good projects.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have more one on one time with the lower level employees. It would really help career develpoment.

8. Admin Asst.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company in many ways.

Cons

If you hit the Red line or salary cap for your position, you will never get a raise again. No cost of living, no bonuses, nothing! You can beg and beg for years and I did beg and beg for years. They will not create a position for the Administrative staff to move you out of the red line salary cap. Most Admins do things for the office and not just the team and should be Office Administrators. Stayed at the same salary for years and just couldn't do it anymore. You hear about the "revenue makers' making goo gobs of money. Even though the team admins are supposed to be a part of the revenue benchmark they are not compensated with bonuses even though they work on client projects. You go to firm meetings and hear about how rich everyone else is and they wont change the redline policy for the admin staff. I couldn't stand it anymore. The health insurance is expensive.

Advice to Management

Eliminate your redline policy!

9. Great company with a bright future!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Great exposure to Fortune 500 Companies, Great Growth Perspective

Cons

Can not think of any.

10. Director Sales

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

Pros

Solid Company, Not going away. National presence. Allows for self directed management. Pay is competitive. Leader in various tax realms.

Cons

Large company requiring most all significant decisions to be decided by a few creating significant bottlenecks company wide. Policy set in place by leadership tends to stifle the progress of the worker bees.

Advice to Management

Distribute decision making abilities further down the food chain giving all employees equal access to success. Empower lower level with decision making power.

11. Top-Heavy, Revenue-Hungry, Going Down

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

Pros

There is a relatively flexible work environment, but don't be dooped by recruitin. You're going to have to put in some major hours, especially at the onset. Additionally, the benefits and base pay are pretty good, but not industry leaders by any stretch of the imagination.

Cons

I used to love this company. I was so proud to work here. Now I just feel completely disillusioned about the future. We made it to Fortunes top companies, but I bet it's just a flash in the pan. The company is only focused on revenue. Client satisfaction and leadership are going down the drain. The principal group is a joke. All they care about are selling new projects, not reviewing or teaching. The CEO is a hypocrit. He preaches that we should see clients at least every 6 months, but I'm on some of his active accounts he hasn't visited in years, and not for a lack of trying to get him there. There is a very strong do as I say and not as I do attitude among senior management. Staff is just cranking out projects to try and meet ridiculous benchmarks and screw ups are happening over and over. I don't expect I'll be here much longer, and I don't anticipate I'll work with Ryan after I leave.

Advice to Management

Scratch it and start over. The model doesn't work anymore. The team structure doesn't work anymore. The old dogs sitting on clients and road blocking your bright, enthusiastic principals doesn't work anymore. The BD guys selling projects for the sake of selling (ie. Sales tax reviews for mall kiosks) doesn't work anymore