Ryan, LLC

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Ryan, LLC CEO and Managing Principal G. Brint Ryan

G. Brint Ryan

Pros:
  • "Ryan's efforts in work-life balance is outstanding"
    in 30 reviews
  • "The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Although the bonus structure is great it takes a good deal of time before you see these bonuses"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Sometimes firm policies and procedures take priority over common sense"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Be weary if you are in a corporate support position

Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGlobal tax firm known for finding significant client savings

ConsLimited work life balance, managers are not trusted to make business decisions, people are seen as a commodity. Senior leadership has no respect for corporate staff and treats them like "overhead".

Advice to Senior ManagementThe support staff work very hard, but need more resources to do their job. Stop treating people as though they can be replaced!

Internal processes are choking the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time

ProsThe company is very customer centered and will do what is right by the customer. They also do a good public service by trying to limit tax burdens.

ConsGenerally speaking, mistakes are not tolerated well. When a mistake happens, the reaction is to create an internal process to make sure that the same/similar mistake does not happen again. The result is a mountain of interal processes and policies that take away decision-making ability. It also results in resources being mis-allocated to managing internal process instead of working on the business. The Chief of Staff spends most of her time creating this internal bureaucracy -- she also implements ineffective HR programs just for the sake of trying to win workplace awards (rather than HR programs that acutally help the business).

Advice to Senior ManagementGo through internal processes/policies one a time and strike the ones that don't help the business.

Ok Place to Start Your Career

Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsCan set your own work hours if your manager approves. Flexible vacation time

ConsYou are expected to work until the job is done, which can vary depending on the project. You do not get a set amount of PTO. You can utilize "myryan" if your manager approves it. Apparently not too many managers approve it because no one is working from home. Basically if you don't have an emergency you will be in the office. Expect to be overworked and overwhelmed.

Bonuses are few in between and expect to be work for a year and a half before you will see a bonus. Depending on your projects bonuses may not be too rewarding and not every project will get you a bonus. Most likely there will be several dead end projects.

There is no training aside from the one week technical training that is irrelevant. Other than that hopefully someone on your team is good at helping you learn the job. Don't expect a warm welcome because majority of people will not even speak. The atmosphere can be strange. A lot of people are walking around pretending to be satisfied but are not happy with their current position. People are consistently quitting or getting fired, especially around promotion time. There is a lot of turnover, expect to have a newly staffed office every year.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with employees before they leave the firm. Make sure employees are knowledgeable about the bonus structure.

Plenty of freedom, not much money.

Consultant, Property Tax (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of freedom in your work/life balance. Easy to work from home. Work is not monotonous and gives plenty of opportunity to network.

ConsSalaries are way too low compared to other tax consulting firms, regardless of the fact that the CEO brags about being better than the Big 4.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet salaries to attract talent away from the other tax consulting firms rather than paying large finder bonuses for recruiting people from those firms. That makes me feel like you value people fro other companies more than your own employees.

Excellent company to work for!

Business Development (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, my Ryan is a great way to balance your work and life.

ConsCan't think of anything at the moment :)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing to improve the work culture and moral!

Great

Tax Consultant (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time

ProsThe pay is great and management embraces myRyan

ConsWorking in teams can be a hassle sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace myRyan

In a rut for entire career

Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe workplace flexibility is incredible. I can work whenever and wherever I want. I just need to focus on completing my work.

ConsAn absolute vacation is out of the question. Managers are always on call. Additionally, employees are placed in a practice area with little ability to learn new areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a system for employees to cross train and learn different practice areas. Additionally, give employees resources for covering work when on vacation.

Honest Review of Consultant Position in Dallas

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsPotential to make decent amount of money
Average starting salary
Attached to Galleria Mall
Gave me a chance being my first job out of college
Got Merit based raise within first 6 months

ConsLack of training: 1 week orientation (Snorefest) and 1 week technical skills where they do not teach anything you actually need to learn

SUT is all out of Access Databases that run incredibly slow and constantly crash and lose your work

Felt I could never telecommute

Worked 50 hrs a week every week and was made to feel guilty if I left before 6pm or asked for time off

SUT review consists of looking at hundreds of invoices per day and doing data entry

Benefits are absolutely terrible 25% 401k match (comes 9 months after year end) with terrible high cost poor return fund choices

Expensive but poor quality health insurance

Was expected to be available Mon-Fri 7am-7pm and expected to work on weekends

Incredibly high work load on my team that never ended

Bonuses could be good but minimum 16 months after you start before see first bonus

Work is not mentally stimulating at all a trained monkey could do most of the work

Oh and the great reviews come from people HR hand selects to send evaluations too. They only pick people that absolutely love it to review company. The 95% of depressed drones never get the email to review the company online or take internal surveys.

Brint Ryan is a arrogant self righteous man that has little man syndrome

I got the heck out of here as fast as I could. Word of advice do not work here and if ryan the only job offer you have make sure it is not in the dallas office.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would never work in this industry again because of Ryan.

I have switched into an Financial Analyst role. Things I have learned since then:
I make 20% more than I did with salary + bonus at Ryan working 40 hrs/week
current company 100% subsidizes my healthcare and provides better insurance
I get 100% match on 401k offerings matched immediately and a full range of funds
Coworkers are not depressed drones
Have work life balance
Have mentally stimulating work and quicker opportunities for advancement

Decent firm, Slightly Bizarre Culture

Tax Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsSenior management is very involved and genuinely seems interested in employee's success. If you're on a good team it can be rewarding. Really depends on your team.

MyRyan is good if your manager embraces it.

ConsI found the culture to be very bizarre. The firm is obsessed with winning (seemingly meaningless) awards and people speak of Brint Ryan as if he is God. I'd get a constant barrage of e-mails asking me to fill out surveys for random awards and make contributions to the (quite conservative) Ryan Political Action Committee. Perhaps it is because I came from a very large firm, but the culture just was too weird for me.

Aside from the culture, the only other cons I can think of is that your success really depends on your team and the review/compensation process could be better. If you're on a crappy team, it's not fun. Not all managers are equal and not all managers embrace MyRyan.
Additionally, the review process is not entirely logical and can hamper your advancement and compensation until the next year. As an aside on compensation, I found Ryan's base salaries to be below market, but there is a high bonus potential. I left the firm for a very comparable position at a comparable firm with significantly higher base pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency in managers/training. Ease up on the awards and other random stuff and let people work. Who cares if Ryan places 3rd in Sheboygan Wisconsin's Best Places to work list? Let employees focus on clients and driving revenue and stop flooding inboxes with this stuff. Base salaries more in line with the market will attract better young talent, not these meaningless awards. It's not like the firm is competing in Forbes or Fortune or anything.

Flexible schedule, great experience, and LOTS of room for improvement

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, working remotely, immediate supervisor is awesome to work for, bonus structure, ability to work on different projects in various industries, and enjoy working for/with clients

ConsTakes forever to get new technology, needs to be a way to anonymously bring up issues (e.g. laziness, inability to complete tasks, etc.) with co-workers as we work in teams, there needs to be a way to divide up money-making projects equally, ergonomic furniture, better annual salary increase, less expensive health insurance, and more accountability, to name a few.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the forward thinking progress and remember that a thank you with your employees goes a long way. Even our Christmas bonuses have gone away.

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Ryan, LLC Videos

Ryan, LLC – Why Work for Us?

Ryan has won over 100 workplace excellence awards during the last four years, including numerous city, state, and national workplace excellence recognitions, as well as highly selective international awards and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryan, LLC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ryan, LLC CEO G. Brint Ryan. All 185 reviews are posted anonymously by Ryan, LLC employees.