Ryan, LLC

Ryan, LLC Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Ryan, LLC CEO and Managing Principal G. Brint Ryan

G. Brint Ryan

Pros:
  • "Ability to set your own schedule and manage your own work-life balance"
    in 34 reviews
  • "The MyRyan program creates a flexible work environment that fits your schedule"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Ryan raves about work/life balance but doesn't let everyone take advantage of the myRyan work from home platform"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The commission/bonus structure isn't for the risk-averse"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Getting used to it

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsMyRyan is great work/life balance tool

ConsConservative politically and socially doesn't jibe with my views.

My overall experience at Ryan was absolutely incredible, and I can not imagine a better internship.

Property Tax Intern (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC as an intern for less than a year

Pros* You will receive very competitive pay as an intern, and it helps to add to the idea that you are important to Ryan as the other team members will also make clear to you.

* Team environment where you are surrounded by competent, intelligent, hard-working, extremely amicable and helpful coworkers.

* The property tax division is very fast paced as interns are brought in during the busy season, but the advantage to the system is that you are almost instantly working on the same basic projects as the senior consultants and managers (you are helping them with pieces of their larger projects).

* You begin delving into commercial real estate and property tax analysis almost as soon as you arrive and get set up. This allows you to start learning useful things right away.

* You will have a chance to really learn and work in Excel during your internship and will start learning market conditions in your office's regional coverage area. Insights into how property taxes work and how the laws differ from one jurisdiction to the next.

* The property tax division is the probably the most team-oriented inside Ryan as every project is touched by multiple hands/minds.

Cons* For interns, you will be limited to a 40 hour work schedule, but that may not be an issue unless you are hoping for overtime and trying to save up more money for college, etc.

* Honestly, I can't see too many cons to this internship. It was much better than I could have ever expected, and you will get tons of practical and useable knowledge and skills from it.

Great Experience

I have been working at Ryan, LLC

ProsNew and skillful work given with different daily objectives. Key to understand big picture and improving upon it.

ConsI did not experience any downsides of working for Ryan LLC. I enjoyed my time while i was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little bit of training should be given before starting the job.

Great Experience, so far

Senior Consultant, Sales and Use Tax (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

Pros-The opportunity to manage my time and work where I need to - The flexibility of myRyan allows me to work from home or while traveling as needed.
-I have been supported (and occasionally rewarded) in my ambitions and life goals (CPA, volunteering, etc)
-Ryan is increasing the focus on personal health and well-being - (realizing this affects productivity as well)

Cons-I know that much of the flexibility is dependent on your manager/office.
-The bonus structure is generous, but HIGHLY dependent on the project you are assigned, thereby rewarding more on luck than hard work.
-At times we have been expected by upper management to produce results "yesterday" that are completely out of our control (ie. getting decisions/responses and updates from the state government, vendors or clients; even after multiple follow-ups and pushing)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to push for greatness and work with your employees to overcome the obstacles (internal and external). People will tell you what they think if you ask them.

Most flexible, rewarding workplace imaginable!

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSuper flexible (work in the office about 10 hours a week, the rest from home). 30 hour work week is normal.

ConsConstantly watching my phone/email. Sometimes difficult to unplug because we're given so much flexibility.

Great place to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood management. Good people. Good company policies and procedures. They give you flexibility in your work schedule. Not a Big 4, but they're just as good without the daily overtime.

ConsNot much. There will always be some office politics since people within the office have different personalities. Also, they recruit straight out of college like the Big 4s.. so there's a level of immaturity amongst those who are young.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Terrible place to START your career

I have been working at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexibility is how people describe, although it depends to some extent on the type of work you perform and your manager.

ConsI've seen a few reviews state that Ryan is a great/good/decent place to start your career. Here's why it's the exact opposite:

When you get hired, you're either an "experienced hire" or a regular hire. Experienced hires in this case may have direct experience (they come from a competitor where they performed the same basic job functions), or indirect experience (their previous work had direct similarities to their job at Ryan, but was not the same job; e.g. you worked for a REIT and now you'll be a property tax consultant).

Experienced hires have significantly higher salaries, which makes sense since they are more valuable starting out. However, regular hires obviously become experienced at some point, but Ryan has no mechanism for recognizing this. Therefore, someone who comes in as a regular hire will generally always be paid significantly less than experienced hires regardless of results, education, ability, responsibilities, etc.

Imagine two people, we'll call Ralph and Betsie who graduate college together. Ralph lands a new job as a Property Tax Consultant at Ryan, and Betsie lands the same job but at Ryan's competitor, Lame Tax Consulting. Ralph has a starting salary of $41,000 which he thinks is decent. Over the next 5 years, Ralph performs admirably and earns a 5% raise each year, now making $52,328. Betsie's company goes under and Betsie calls her old friend Ralph who manages to get her a job on his team in the same position he has. But Betsie is now an experienced hire, so Betsie gets hired at $70,000.

Both Ralph and Betsie now have 5 years of experience, they have the same responsibilities, the tax savings they generate over the course of the next year is within $10,000 of one another - meaning their revenue is within a couple hundred dollars - but during his 5 years, Ralph also managed to earn a master's degree. When raise and promotion comes around in October, they will both earn 5%, now making $54,944 and $73,500, respectively. Ralph will never be paid what Betsie is paid, despite being equally valuable to the company (in some ways Ralph is more valuable because of his familiarity with Ryan's policies and procedures).

Even if Ralph is promoted above Betsie, he will not catch up to her salary-wise. He may get 10% instead of 5% (though that is unusual).

Ralph's only hope of being paid his market value is to leave Ryan, to the detriment of his team.

Hence Ryan has created a system whereby it incentivizes the resources it has spent thousands of dollars training and grooming, to leave precisely when they become most valuable to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour starting salaries are fair for the most part. HR does a decent job of setting up the brackets. If anything, certain people are paid way more than they're worth in the beginning. But the compensation committee tends to base raises as a percentage increase of employees' existing salaries. The problem with this line of thinking is that for some people, at some point their existing salary becomes completely divorced from their value to the company.

An extremely intelligent person who comes here straight out of college ready to prove themself is probably ok with his starting salary; but once he's proven himself, once he's gained valuable knowledge and training, once he's demonstrated that he can use that knowledge and training to consistently outperform his peers, no consideration is given. No adjustment is made. He gets the same congratulatory letter with the same 5% raise as his well-paid experienced-hire teammates who rely upon him to solve the complex problems they are incapable of solving.

And therein lies the central flaw in the whole concept: how does the compensation committee, made up of people who have never met the individual or his teammates, who have no knowledge of the daily work the person performs, know that he solves these problems? How do they know his value to the company? How CAN they possibly? Especially when they overrule the suggestion of his manager (without even discussing it with the manager) who IS privy to this information.

So I guess my suggestion is fairly simple, or maybe it's complex, I don't know.

First, implement a sort of premium into the raise component for regular hires that reflects the experience they gain from working at Ryan. Make it a straight-line, accelerating, or diminishing increase, whichever makes the most sense in your opinion, for the first 3 - 5 years of employment, contingent upon results, performance evaluations, etc.

Second, when the compensation committee asks for feedback from managers during the raise and promotion cycle, include information about performance relative to teammates as well as how their salaries compare. 5-10% salary variance among similarly qualified teammates based on experience, age, education, etc. seems acceptable, but 30% is indefensible without some performance-based reasoning.

Third, to address the immediate disparity that exists from the absence to date of such a program, launch a review of salaries of normal hires with 3+ years of experience and seek extensive feedback from their managers with regard to their performance and perceived value relative to their experienced hire peers. Adjust salaries as needed.

I also highly suggest that you look up the Equity Theory of Motivation - you can find it on Wikipedia if needs be - for why this is a much bigger problem than you might otherwise believe. WIN emails and workplace awards DO NOT motivate employees beyond the weak-minded, highly suggestible, and usually recent hires. Long-term motivation is impossible when your teammates are making 150% of your salary for the same (or less) work, and attrition is inevitable.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

My career and MyRyan's workplace

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible work hours allow a work life balance.
Career opportunities are available for those who work hard.

ConsToo much travel for my position.

Liked the company until things started 'slipping off its axis...'

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBrint Ryan has been committed to implementing programs and benefits that will better serve his employees. The company has come a long way and I liked the changes that were made.
The increased flexibility has been good for most employees.
I was able to work with many functions in my administrative role and build a network of support that helped me better assist those in my office.
I felt like I could contribute and implement processes and that was welcomed in the office.
It was a nice place to work until egos got in the way.

ConsNot sure if exit interviews are used for the stated purposes. Exit interviews/pre-exit interview was used to send out behind the scenes email to leadership team to trash personal reputation and performance. This was just unbelievable and quite disappointing.

Raise system needs to be reviewed. Never had a formal review. Had to approach management when I sensed something was wrong. That's when the floodgate opened with all of these "issues". What happened to ongoing communication and coaching from the "LEADERSHIP" ranks? Attestations regarding data entry errors were not my fault, but it was easy to blame it on "the help."

Company pushes fitness and wellness on a corporate level, but on the local level the managers had a problem with it. What I did on my unpaid lunch break became a sore spot for management and I couldn't understand why.

Management complains about outside interests as if that were a crime. Making a one word generic LinkedIn profile containing "entrepreneur" should not have been raised to me as a bad thing. How dare I think more of myself than just being an admin? Apparently it was felt that I had some nerve to describe myself in that way.

Pay not competitive for admin roles in NYC, but the expectations on how your attitude should be was as if they were paying you big bucks. Make the salary match what you want out of the person so they won't have to think about doing something else outside of work.

Manager wanted a so-called "Dallas-like" personality as if I had not been professional in the 6.5 years that I had been there. I had "lasted" because I had did a good job and got things done. Not because someone was doing me any favors by letting me stay around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't use exit interviews to send out emails on employee performance to 'beat' the publication of what was said by the exiting person. Let them have their say as their last rites.

Honestly I tried to "protect" certain people because I genuinely liked them, but it was all for nothing apparently. So disappointed that email happened after 6 months as a temp making less than $14/hour, then after another 6 years as a FT employee? I proved I was dedicated, and it was the longest that I ever worked anywhere. And all of what I did was trashed. All because I said "office environment" as the reason for me leaving the company. That's the thanks I got. Wow.

Communicate your expectations to employees and don't let things escalate to a point of no return.

Let people be who they want to be outside of work and on their LinkedIn accounts. I represented the company JUST FINE being the person I was when I was off the clock.

Keep expectations professional and not personal. A manager being upset because he wasn't (quote) "number one" to me was a bit much. Especially to the person that you barely spoke to, who didn't get a raise, a bonus, and was getting paid below market rate. Honestly, making you feel 'number one' is a job for your spouse. I wasn't getting paid enough to be anyone's Edith Bunker.

People are individuals. Never tell anyone to 'be like' another person. Statements like "Be like the ladies in Dallas", or be like this person or that person is not how supervisors should coach employees. People will become resentful when things are stated in that way. That's like saying "I wish you would be more like my ex-wife or ex-husband." Focus on SKILLS and CHARACTERISTICS that you would like emulated. I'm sure any HR professional will tell you that as well. Management needs training in coaching employees at that company big time.

I was honest in everything that I said in my conversations regarding my exit. Manager felt betrayed and I have no idea why when I was the one who served my head on a platter and left voluntarily. I did that to make others happy...not myself. But in the end I didn't even get credit for that. I put others before myself and I was still made out to be a bad employee anyway in some email. So no matter what I did, I just couldn't win.

Ryan is a great place to work!

Tax Technology Consultant (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Ryan, LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsMy Ryan is a great way to balance your work schedule with your other life obligations. Ryan holds all its employees accountable for getting the work done, while at the same time allows its employees to (within reason) work a schedule that is convenient for them.

ConsI didn't see any cons to working here. It's a great place to start a career! Great potential for advancement for new employees as this is a growing firm!

Worked for Ryan, LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Ryan, LLC Videos

Ryan, LLC – Why Work for Us?

Ryan has won over 100 workplace excellence awards during the last four years, including numerous city, state, and national workplace excellence recognitions, as well as highly selective international awards and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ryan, LLC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ryan, LLC CEO G. Brint Ryan. All 186 reviews are posted anonymously by Ryan, LLC employees.