Rue La La

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Davis

Pros:
  • "Creative perks (Sample sales, summer Friday hours, Bagel Fridays)"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Best part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Extremely fast paced environment (I happen to like that type of environment, but not for everyone)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management does not voice MAJOR changes to it's employees"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Creative and innovative.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Rue La La as an intern for less than a year

ProsTreat their interns like their employees and want to help them grow.
Sample sales.

ConsNo cons as an intern for me personally. However, I know some of the interns didn't feel like they had enough work to do throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great Company if you want to be in Fashion in Boston

Event Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Rue La La part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to begin your e-commerce adventure with. I learned so much while there as far as administrative skills and how e-commerce works. Everyone is very nice, pretty hard to move up because it is competitive and there are only so many spaces open to advance. Free snacks and bagel friday were always amazing as well! Very laid back for the fashion world, if you want something not cut throat but fashion oriented - this is the company for you.

ConsNot fantastically competitive salary, IF you do get a raise it wont be a very good one. Not easy to move up quickly, you have to put in lots of time.

Rue is a great place with lots of interesting problems to solve

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is a lot that is great here:
--a fun environment (people eat together in the cafeteria, happy hours on Thursday)
--good work-life balance (people work reasonable hours)
--great leadership at the C-level
--interesting problems to solve technically and within the business
--strong revenue growth

ConsA lot has changed at Rue in the last couple of years. There was a lot of turnover but it has mostly brought new energy to the company. But it is still a complicated org structure.

Creative and energetic work place

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe management and senior leadership team really cares about the talent and growth. The environment promotes great teamwork and problem solving. Creative team is fun and energetic. Lots of mobility if you’re willing to raise your hand and partner with your manager.

ConsCommunication can sometimes be a challenge given the nature of the business and the various departments involved. Miscommunications could at times lead to redundancy and confusion on projects.

Fresh, Fast-Paced, Fun

Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone I've met at Rue in the 8 months I've been here is energetic, passionate, creative, and talented. It's a highly collaborative environment with lots of spirit, and associates and executives take great pride in the product. I came to Rue from a very (very) small, privately owned company that didn't put an ounce of effort into its employees' wellbeing, so coming to Rue has been a great change. There are frequently "surprise & delights", a.k.a. treats for associates (every little thing counts!); a structured review/career management program that enables associates to move up and be recognized for their good work; and ample tools in place that allow associates to gain an in-depth knowledge of what other departments here do, allowing everyone to have a clear understanding of the company as a whole. Benefits are pretty good, and lots of nice perks are offered. Rue feels like a big family, as executives seem to make a point of keeping associates in the loop about changes, new initiatives, how the company is doing, etc.

ConsThings tend to change frequently (realignments; staffing changes at higher levels; creative direction), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a matter of preference in terms of the environment you like. Hours and workload during the holidays can be brutal (though temp help is brought in to help offset it), and vacation during that time of year is heavily restricted. The pace can be very, very fast, so it can be tough to juggle projects and deadlines while taking on new ones at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a creative director and fill in some other key roles that are currently vacant. Some teams feel like they've been left hanging in the balance and like they don't have solid direction/management.

Rue La La - The Juice Is Not Worth The Squeeze

Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great health insurance (Some of the best that I have had with any job.)
-Some very intelligent and capable people working here (Several people that understand business and how to operate a successful business are in the shadows just waiting for an opportunity to excel.)
-Free coffee and a nice breakroom
-Comfortable chairs and updated office spaces (It is clean, fresh, and does promote positive energy.)

Cons-Very limited growth opportunity in most areas of the company (Many jobs openings are created through turnover yet the positions are mainly filled externally. There is very little focus on development and growth of internal resources even if they have the potential to progress with the company.)
-Very poor Senior Management / Leadership (I have never been associated with an organization that has so many VPs, Directors, and a C Level Managers for every aspect of the organization. The greatest issue with Rue La La is that even though some of these people are good managers there is not a Leader among them. The C Level Managers are exactly as titled "Chiefs" who expect the Indians to follow without realizing the Indians have agendas of their own that do not align. Because communication and direction is also poor from the top down, it is often too late once the discombobulation is figured out.)
-Not honest with employees regarding the business (Senior Management has difficulty answering the tough questions and making leadership decisions that are in the best interest of the business. There is an overall lack of trust from the top down that hampers implementations and moving the business forward. Empowerment is not a virtue that the Senior Management team instills in employees.)
-High turnover rate at all areas and levels of the business (I would suggest asking the hiring manager / recruiter the turnover rate for the position you are applying for. Read all of the reviews on this site and don't just take my word for it. It is hard to gain any traction when your team is constantly changing.)
-Inferior / Outdated systems (I will not elaborate due to this info possibly being a "trade secret" but it takes a much larger team than needed to keep everything up and running systematically each day.)
-Overall lack of company culture (The culture is sold to recruits as exciting yet there is no company focus on culture or making culture an essential part of the job. If you are considering a position with Rue La La ask an employee or the Hiring Manager what are the Rue La La culture initiatives and as an added bonus ask them what is the company's mission statement.)
-Not willing to spend money on technological improvements (It seems that the company is concerned with the bottom line even if it means falling farther behind our competition at every step from opening the website to shipping the order. We can spend money on hiring more Senior Level Management, bonuses (if you are eligible), and charitable benefits that mostly benefit the publicity of the company.)
-Company is not customer focused (We are a flash sale site that should cater to our customers, many of which are extremely loyal, however we do not. The bottom line comes first and the customer comes second. If we ultimately fail our lack of customer focus will be the reason. We are not the only game in town and need to realize the customer is who ultimately pays our bills.)
-Overall lack of communication (This is at all levels of the organization. We have more silos than Kansas in our lines of communication. This is an issue that is between business units and interdepartmental as well. This has been an issue that has plagued the company from day one and no one talks to their counterparts or internal customers creating many inefficiencies and many wasted hours of playing catch up.)
-Unorganized (When I started with Rue La La, no one was prepared for me to start my position and there was no hint of an on-boarding process past getting the necessary paperwork filled out and my email set up. They knew I was starting but zero organization surrounding the process. Basically it was here is your desk, go introduce yourself to the team, now get to work.)
-Benefits (The insurance is fantastic however the total benefit package could be improved. You are told before starting that the company has a 401k match. What they fell to tell you is that the match is yearly and not with the pay cycle. Several of the benefits do not benefit the majority of employees.)
-Lack of recognition for work performed. (There is very little recognition for doing a good job. Overall it is a "What have you done for me today?" mentality.)

Advice to Senior Management-Develop clear direction and set legitimate goals for the business and communicate that direction to all employees of the company. To often we chase a gnat around the room while an elephant that we never see sits in the corner.
-Learn to lead your teams. You need to step back and look at the big picture and correct the basics. Communication is terrible and that is not debated by anyone at any level - fix that first as it is the key to forming the teams and bringing unison and vision to the organization. Most important be Leaders and not Dictators - we want to be lead and not commanded.
-Learn to listen. There are many employees that have great ideas and input that are never heard or given a chance.
-Learn to trust and empower your teams. We spend too much time waiting on a green light for simple decisions that have to be approved and bought into by too many people. This always brings up inhibiting questions that drag out for too long. This issue goes away with a unified and clear path of direction.
-Stay consistent. Too often the direction and initiatives are flavor of the month that change without notice or warning and never communicated.
-Put the customer above the bottom line. We fail the customer too often due to trying to save a buck. They are who will make us successful or put us out of business.
-Be accountable. We are a fast paced company and not all decisions are going to be good decisions. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.
-Learn to dissect and evaluate decisions that impact the company. Before making a decision, ask yourself - "Is the juice really worth the squeeze?"

Ever changing

Returns Clerk (Former Employee)
Shepherdsville, KY (US)

I worked at Rue La La full-time for less than a year

ProsThey have a good break room

ConsThey had a good returns-department

Challenging and fast paced work enviornment

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers,benefits, work differs day to day.

ConsCheap, sneaky, and not forthcoming with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront and honest.

Very fast paced environment, not for wimps!

Technology Based (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

ProsI have been at Rue for two years. As the title says, this is a very fast paced environment and you will not succeed if you are not a self starter. It can sometimes be difficult to get help for a problem, their has been a corporate culture of not answering email although I think this is turning around. There have been some reorganizations and in some aspects that has also helped. There has been a terrible attrition problem, quite a few folks were burned out. Upper management has stated publicly that they have seen the problem and want to help solve it. The office environment is very vibrant and the location in Downtown (Fort Point) was a plus for me. For some it makes for a terrible commute. The management really does try to do things to make the employee's feel that they are recognized. I would say that Rue does this better than any company i have worked for.

ConsAs stated above it can be tough to get traction in the beginning. The corporate culture of not answering email does not help. If you really need an answer sometimes you are forced to have to go and interrupt someone which leads to a very interrupt prone environment. The environment can be very loud. Actually, it can be very, very loud. They need more smaller meeting rooms so that impromptu meetings don't have to take place talking over three cubicles. There is also a 'meeting culture' at the company. Things which could be hashed out in a few email exchanges are usually hashed out in meetings instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the quarterly surveys. Also, there should be a formal 'skip level' one on one meeting process in place.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Looked soooo promising but overall very disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rue La La full-time for more than a year

ProsBest part about working at Rue was the people, the cool office space and of course the sample sales. Great stuff at unreal prices. But after a while.. just how much stuff do you need? And really... great people are everywhere.
Rue does offer excellent benefits.

ConsThe Sr Leadership team does not trust the people they have hired to get work done. They tell you great things before you get there and then once you arrive it all changes.
Also they made very little investment in their employees. Little to no budget for training and so little opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your team and stop telling people how to do their jobs.Trust your teammates. Get out of the way and let others lead. You will be amazed at what they are willing to deliver for you!

Worked for Rue La La? Contribute to the Community!

Rue La La Videos

Rue La La – Why Work for Us?

STYLE. DELIVERED DAILY. Rue La La is the destination for the most desired brands at Members-only prices. Each day, we curate Boutiques filled with the best of the best in women's and men's fashion, home, travel, kids… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rue La La reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rue La La CEO Steve Davis. All 77 reviews are posted anonymously by Rue La La employees.