Royal Mail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Royal Mail CEO Moya M. Greene

Moya M. Greene

Pros
  • Good Benefits, Good Holiday time off (in 5 reviews)

• work life balance , fresh air, nice to be out doors working with the public (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management tend to new employees challenging routes with no guidance (in 5 reviews)

• Delivery managers are pressed to reduce expenditure quite substantially (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Director of Services (Former Employee) London, ON

ProsProvided a public service to others

ConsHighly unionised environment, poor Govt recognition of value of the asset

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep changing

Tedious, unappreciated and unsatisfying work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFull time permanent direct employees get a larger amount of compensation than might usually be expected. I wasn't one of these, but I did see many people satisfied. Co-workers, whilst disillusioned, are mostly pleasant people with a good work ethic.

ConsWorking as a temporary employee, I saw people let go without notice for "underperformance", without being spoken to beforehand. These decisions come from management that you don't ever meet and you never know who they are despite working in the same open plan office.

I wasn't a victim of the above, but being in close proximity to that sort of behaviour led to a disgraceful work atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would favour a more meritocratic approach to promotion to management level.

Once great company to work for.

Postman (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsGreat, once you actually get outdoors.The pay is good for what I do.

ConsBullying managers are the norm. it's a dead end job as there's hints of redundancy to come, Royal Mail's going from public to private sector.A lot of sickness due stress and wear and tear on people's body's.You must walk about 40- 50 miles a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your staff as the enemy.Talking to them in a polite manner isn't a sign of weakness.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alright Christmas job but don't stay too long.

Mail Processing (Former Employee) Chester, England (UK)

ProsFairly laid back.
    Check your brain at the door and listen to pod casts or audio books for five hours.
    Overtime usually available.
    Lots of time to converse with some fairly interesting people.
    Lateral career development, you can go drive a van if you want.

ConsOverly simple tasks, basically just do one thing most of the time.
    Disfunctional air conditioning in their large facilities, its a sweat shop in the summer.
    Line managers interfering in various ways, especially with the younger employees where they would often treat you like trash. There is a lot of seniority in Royal Mail and having a bit of silver in your hair means you never get bothered and can pretty much get away with murder. They generally just add drama but sometimes worse. When the line managers were absent for whatever reason everything ran smoother.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the line managers

Lack of customer focus and innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI had a challenging job, but was also rewarding
    There people you work with are generally very good

ConsI thought that there was a complete lack of innovation
    The company is run in a series silos and in can hamper true working together and finding the best solutions for the customer
    It is cost rather than customer focussed

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly focus on the customer, remove the barriers to developing true customer focussed solutions

The Best

POSTMAN FULL TIME (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosreally great place to work and people

Consstarting new- may take a while to get the best walks- and poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with staff

Good employer to work for but culture sucks

Senior Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat challenges at work if you know how to create opportunities and run with it. Big company so lots of areas where you could interesting projects to deliver value and develop your skill sets.

ConsBe prepared to be part of the old public sector mentality as it is a bit like old boys club. Be prepare to lobby with old veterans and movers& shakers at top if you wish to successfully progress your career internally; alternatively wait for them to offer you voluntary redundancy,

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some real action to improve diversity in workforce

Poor poor Royal Mail

ProsVery poor management skills especially of people that have any form of disability. Use heavy handed and bullying tactics to quiet people.

ConsMoney good for jobs but nothing else.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew management required.

A very satisfying work experience.

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Peterborough, England (UK)

ProsThe best thing about Royal Mail are the people who work there. This flows through to an excellent customer service ethic where satisfaction is delivered to the highest order.

ConsSometimes change within the company is to slow, it needs to decide to do something and then just do it!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff sometimes

Brilliant

Mail Sorter (Former Employee) Gateshead, England (UK)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsNothing at all everything was perfect

Worked for Royal Mail? Contribute to the Community!