Ross Stores

Ross Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth

Michael A. Balmuth

Pros:
  • "20% Discount and I met some really nice people the time I was there"
    in 43 reviews
  • "Employee discount - 20% on certain times a year its doubled to 40%"
    in 42 reviews
Cons:
  • "No hours and a lot of work has to be done for the minimum wage that they pay you"
    in 50 reviews
  • "no work life balance, you are just a number and no possibility of promotion"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A fun environment to work in

Store Protection Specialist (Current Employee)
Plant City, FL (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for less than a year

Prosthere is a growth potential for hard working individuals with strong leadership skills. The people and management are the best. The discount is very good and the perks that come along with it. work life balance and the training is very easy, simply do what you are ask to do.

Consnot enough payroll at times but it comes with the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on how we can add more payroll or is there a more better direction the company go with helping with payroll.

Process is everything!!

Cashier (Current Employee)
Kissimmee, FL (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Great first job to learn multiple skills as you will work multiple areas of the store. This will make you an asset with future jobs.

-You will learn to improve your time management skills as each transaction is timed. No one likes being timed, but it does make you push yourself to be better.

-They do work with you on your schedule including vacations. (Just give them a few weeks notice for vacations.)

-Great place to work if you like structure and process. If you are naturally self-motivated, you will excel.

-You will get a 20% discount on most items including sale and clearance (and 40% off several times a year).

-Most of the managers are easy to talk to.

-There are parties and potlucks, and also free lunches at times.

-You will not be pushing company credit cards (as other retailers do do this).

-You will get an assigned locker and lock for personal items while on the job.

-If you love working for the company and learn fast, there is room for promotions, even if it means being transferred to a different or new location.

-Employees are helpful in learning.

Overall, If you focus on your job and give 100%, ignoring anything negative, you will do just fine. Enjoy the discounts!!

Cons-If you just like doing one task, this is not the place for you as they will have you all over the store doing different things as they get the most out of each employee.

-You have to rush so much that it's not about the customer experience.

-They will try to get away with not training you properly, yet will let you know you are in the red. ASK them to put you on a register that is in Training Mode, and have them go over all of the functions with you and scenarios. You have every right to be trained "The Ross Way".

-Some managers will try to get away with not giving you your 15 min break, or will wait till you are almost done your shift to give you one. Also, if they are really busy up front, some will not let you run to the bathroom or get a drink of water your entire shift. The way they get around the law is to play dumb and say you don't get one if your shift is an X amount of hours. Then, 15 min before you go home, they will change their mind and say that you can take it, hoping that you will not go out of concern that you did not complete your mandatory register cleanup, which takes 15 min as stuff piles up. So keep tabs on the time, and around halfway through your shift, or as soon as it slows down, quickly get the ok. If your shift is over 3 hrs total, it's the LAW to get a 15.

-Not the place for you if you don't like adhering to specific processes. (Kind of like, don't sweep the floor from left to right, but sweep it from right to left, or be let go). They want consistency throughout every location, and all employees on the same page.

-Will need to bring your own soap and hand sanitizer, and sometimes your own toilet paper and paper towels as they don't keep it stocked. (You will have a locker to put your stuff in.) Ross is known for cutting corners to save a dollar.

-You have to give at least two hours notice (of your shift) if you need to call in late...which does not help you if you are stuck in traffic, construction, or an accident and you did not leave your house early enough. Give yourself time if possible.

-As with any place, there are company favorites. Those who actually cheat the process, but get such good scores that no one stands by to watch them ...therefore they don't get caught. Yet, they get awarded and recognized for being awesome.

As far as company growth, they are making money hand over fist and are opening new stores daily.
However, while they have a process, they lack a good foundation (proper training your first week). And without that foundation, their employee turnover is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to Management or higher-up's is, "please read the above".

Sales Associate

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsSome co wokers and managers are nice, discount is nice too.

ConsI didn't receive any proper training, they just threw me out there without telling me how the register works, how to open the jewlery cases, ect. Customers can be rude. If you work till close, there's always a good chance you might have to stay after your scheduled shift. Store is always a mess and lines are always long because management never schedules enough people

Advice to Senior ManagementUs employees are humans, not machines. The way you time us on the register is ridicilous.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!!!

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Fresno, CA (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsTheir are great people working there. If you need help with anything they will help you till' you get it and know what you are doing. You experience every single job in the store. You always get acknowledged for your work in whatever you do. The managers ask you about your opinions and if you every have a problem to come to them. They are so cool and get along with everyone. It's a great place to work. I love working there!!

ConsI don't have a problem with anything.....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!!

Ross Dress for Less

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Waco, TX (US)

I worked at Ross Stores part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and nice managers

ConsHoliday hours and weird customers

extremely good. Good people to work with.

Assistant Manager Ross Stores (Former Employee)
Seminole, FL (US)

I worked at Ross Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have a great training program in place for associates and management .

Conssome of the customer's can be a little hard to handle, but if you have great customer service skills it will help you out dramatically.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the source where the information comes from. And get everyone's take on it.

Good place to learn management.

Store Protection Specialist (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores part-time for less than a year

ProsRoss is a lucrative company, it give you chances to learn so many things in a short interval of time.

ConsSometimes you have to finish other people's work, and you will responsible for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes store needs more people to work to increase the overload from the employees.

It all depends on your manager!!

I have been working at Ross Stores

Prosfast passed, easy to move up, and employee discounts are awesome

Consour manager never did his job so the scheduling never got done right and changed frequently, so i filled in for all the gaps and then some. he never once thanked me for working overtime or 8 hr days when i as supposed to work 4.

Advice to Senior Managementcheck on your store managers more frequently i had an extremely incompetent manager, i mean from the background check on them and see how they run there stores.

Great exposure to the industry; terrible corporate climate

Assistant Buyer I (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Ross Stores full-time for more than a year

ProsPlenty of opportunity to make impacting decisions even as an entry level employee
If you take it upon yourself, and organize meetings with the right people, you can get plenty of insight on the retail industry from experienced management
Great compensation for entry level job
Work-Life balance is good

ConsUnprofessional climate: cursing, nagging about projects, very resistant to change
Terrible interaction with vendors: racial slurs, cursing, homophobic language- overall ignorant diction
Extreme lack of diversity and any care for developing diversity initatives
No employee bonding opportunities office environment is hostile, awkward, and uncomfortable

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize to leadership in your company (buyers, managers, VPs, and DMMs) to respond to change and training new employees with enthusiasm. As a new hire I've found it extremely difficult to maintain optimism in my work space as some of the buyers only complain about the work they have to do and that makes it hard for someone to actually want to thrive ina buying career. As I have read in previous critiques here on Glassdoor, it is true that a lot of the buyers in this company are not trained adequately on how to train a new employee.

Retaining your employees overall should be a major focus on HR's part...since they seem to emphasize their recruiting efforts so much...retaining those new hires is just as important or your hiring efforts go to nothing.

intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ross Stores

Prospay, hands on experience, got to act as a manager

Consnot many other than no true weekends off

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ross Stores CEO Michael A. Balmuth. All 674 reviews are posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees.