Rockwell Collins

Updated 29 October, 2014
Updated 29 October, 2014
3.2

Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 53 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Low stress, interesting work

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good place to work in terms of work-life balance, no expectations of staying in the office past regular hours. Coworkers were friendly and helpful and took time out of their day to mentor me (an intern)

Cons

Working as a software engineer I felt like there was not a lot of focus on using better tools -- for example, most teams are still using CVS for source control

Satisfactory, well-paying co-op position.

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salary for a student. Usually interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Government bureaucracy is sometimes felt.

Very good company to work for

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

A lot of benefits for permanent employes. Company cultivates a very good relationship with other employes from same or other levels. Company offers good opportunity for technical engineering development - not best in the market though.

Cons

Aerospace market brings challenges to all companies in the market and Rockwell Collins suffers that too. Stress and challenge level might be higher then expected for USA market. Leaving in Cedar Rapids might be challenging for young person with no family.

Management level should be kept at acceptable level that does not result in big overhead for engineering activities - what is really being a challenge in the market nowadays. Big company asset is on the engineering side and that has to be preserved for long term success of the company.

Excellent experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Very, fun place to work, flexible hours, understanding people.

Cons

Smaller company, may limit opportunities for advancement.

Summer Intern |S|AP BW 2014

Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, very encouraging environment. Team-members love to help you out. My direct Manager and the above him were both really helpful and patient. They make sure to provide you with enough training and support so that you can perform successfully.

Cons

Slow growth as compared to other companies
    The work pace is very slow

Excellent office culture. They shouldn't change it. More SAP led training should be provided

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent place to learn and grow for engineers

Cons

Location - Cedar Rapids may not attract people to stay long term

Great Experience

Former Employee - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Technical Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The management and projects were great, it was an excellent experience for a college student to learn about their industry. I always felt like I had someone to ask questions of and figure out the next step in a project.

Cons

Occasionally, I would finish a project and it seemed as if they didn't really have anything ready for me to pick up- I would have a day interim with no work to do.

Systems Engineer Intern G.S

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The best reason is the flexibility of the positions. It is very easy to work around the company because the company is about providing avionics and software packages to the industry. So it's very easy to switch projects if you don't like it. Also, company is medium size which meant that it was easier to meet higher up management. As an intern, we met with the CEO on one of our intern meetings

Cons

Cedar Rapids Iowa is a very nice city, but growing up from New York City, it was very boring.

A fast pace environment that demands high level of organization to stay on top of various projects and supplier issues.

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Decorah, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Decorah, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the Decorah facility the Industrial Engineers play a very important role. You will be given a great deal of responsibility fresh out of college. You get to be a big fish in a small pond. Also, Decorah is a beautiful town and the staff are all fantastic people to work with.

Cons

This role has proven to be a 2 year position. Typically the Industrial Engineer in this position will begin fresh out of school and work between 2 and 3 years before moving on to bigger better things. This is likely because there are more opportunities for career growth in other locations such as Cedar Rapids or Melbourne Florida.

If you would like to improve IE retention in Decorah I would suggest either changing the role of the IE in that location to better align with the career growth plan, or manipulating the career plan to be more site specific. I find that IE's in this location take on more of a quality role in that we spend a great deal of time dealing with supplier non-conformances and rejects. In order for me to progress in the career plan provided to me, I would have to become more involved with operator load times, process flow, and other more typical IE related tasks. These things are currently not a part of our actual routine so when we submit PR&DP's we often times do not fall under the G2 or G3 criteria. This is why I am looking for opportunities elsewhere. That said, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent with this team and I highly suggest this position to any motivated individuals who have recently graduated and would like to be a part of a growing and exciting industry.

Great Company, slow to adapt change like many other big companies. Awesome work ethics, great midwestern location.

I have been working at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Large Company with many opportunities
    Ethics of the company unmatched in the industry - they walk the walk on trust, compliance and good business practices
    EXCELLENT product
    Recent, strong focus on non-linear job growth.
    Good, midwestern work ethic and values still prevail
    Trying hard to embrace diversity

Cons

VERY cheap company phone program for employees with customer contact
    Not enough people. Sounds funny since it is such a large company, but we are doing too much with too few. Burn out is inevitable.
    Still a good old boys network - have not quite actually been able to practice the diversity thing to its fullest extent
    Promotion to management based on being good at what you do, not necessarily being a good manager. (i.e. being a good engineer does not make you a good manager)
    Once you gain a prominent position, it is very hard to progress upwards, years and years of laterals after that.
    HR department and policies are burdened by our size. Very difficult at review time to have a team full of highly performing individuals. Managers are forced to apply a curve to team, regardless of performance. Very frustrating for many.
    Benefits decline each year

Add more people to non-engineering departments
    Try to move more quickly in employment decisions. It takes waaaaay too long to get people into jobs. (maybe not having recruiters who are contract labor and actually know about the company would help)
    Put people who you trust who have good management skills into management positions, then let them manage and lead. Untie their hands.
    Put people in the travel department who have actually traveled outside of the city of Cedar Rapids during their lifetime.