Rockwell Collins Reviews

Updated 21 April, 2015
725 reviews filtered by
3.3
Kelly Ortberg

Pros
  • work life balance, upper management focused on improving things for employees (in 54 reviews)

• At the moment, we have some pretty good benefits (week off at Christmas time) (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Cedar Rapids Iowa is not an ideal area to retain talented employees (in 73 reviews)

• No Work Life balance, HR doesn't have the minimum idea of employees needs (in 17 reviews)

1. Low stress, interesting work

Former Intern - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON
    Former Intern - Software Engineer II in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work in terms of work-life balance, no expectations of staying in the office past regular hours. Coworkers were friendly and helpful and took time out of their day to mentor me (an intern)

Cons

Working as a software engineer I felt like there was not a lot of focus on using better tools -- for example, most teams are still using CVS for source control

2. Satisfactory, well-paying co-op position.

Former Intern - Junior Software Engineer
    Former Intern - Junior Software Engineer

I worked at Rockwell Collins as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary for a student. Usually interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Government bureaucracy is sometimes felt.

3. Very good company to work for

Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

A lot of benefits for permanent employes. Company cultivates a very good relationship with other employes from same or other levels. Company offers good opportunity for technical engineering development - not best in the market though.

Cons

Aerospace market brings challenges to all companies in the market and Rockwell Collins suffers that too. Stress and challenge level might be higher then expected for USA market. Leaving in Cedar Rapids might be challenging for young person with no family.

Advice to Management

Management level should be kept at acceptable level that does not result in big overhead for engineering activities - what is really being a challenge in the market nowadays. Big company asset is on the engineering side and that has to be preserved for long term success of the company.

Excellent experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Rockwell Collins

Pros

Very, fun place to work, flexible hours, understanding people.

Cons

Smaller company, may limit opportunities for advancement.

6. Friendly, Competitive salary, little behind the technology curve

Current Employee - International Trip Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - International Trip Coordinator in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, helpful employees that will show you everything you need to learn. Atmosphere is quiet and laid back. Salary is better than most and its a publicly traded company,so stock options are available as well as medical dental...etc

Cons

The software the company uses needs to be UPDATED.,little behind the times. Since the company was bought out it needs some uniformity within all offices and management needs to learn to speak with the employees...not just supervisors.

Advice to Management

YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE! START HIRING!!

7. Great product, great potential, poor corporate culture

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Company with amazing history and great products. Successful in both commercial and government work. Room to grow, especially for engineers. New CEO has potential to bring a lot of good change to the company.

Cons

Midwest prejudice and exclusion attitude hold it back from being a truly international company. Bullying behavior such as yelling, berating, and backstabbing is tolerated. Salaries for technical but non-engineering positions are not competitive. Engineers treated like rockstars, everyone else not so much. Performance review system creates competition and bitterness among employees rather than fostering teamwork and loyalty to company.

Advice to Management

The corporate culture of Iowa is better than everyone else has to improve. It's great to be proud of your state and country, but not great to berate all other sites for not being in Iowa. If you want to be a global company, EVERYONE needs to start thinking globally not just those at international sites. Resistance to hiring at remote sites needs to stop.

8. Great Company - Sleepy Location

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing engineering infrastructure. Very high quality employees in general, in engineering. Very strong product portfolio - lots of work to do. Very interesting technologies to work with as well. All the best engineering tools are available.

Cons

Huge company. Definitely over-procedured. I've been here 5 years and I still don't have my arms around all the processes and procedures. Ambiguous chain of command. Lots of very young managers managing much older engineering population with mixed results. Support groups don't.

Advice to Management

Add a process (I know, another one) to vet management candidates and then train them adequately once they are promoted to the position. Eliminate Component Engineering and just let the engineers do the function. We do it now anyway, most of the time.

9. Mechanical Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Vacation, Friday's off, Christmas shutdown, you wear a lot of hats = you get a lot of experience in the different areas of product design.

Cons

There are a lot of random processes, unconnected software programs which we use. The way we release part numbers and get them certified to an industry standard is not always the best.

Advice to Management

The immediate management here is really great, they're open to new idea and they accept criticism. As for the CEO, keep pushing us into the 21st century and please do not stop making changes. All of the recent changes you have made to salary structure and promotions, have made a difference.

10. systems engineer

I worked at Rockwell Collins full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting work, good benefits

Cons

Low salary, slow to promote

Advice to Management

Position employees to match their skill set better

11. Sr. Project Manager

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Rockwell Collins full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture is changing for the good. Cost of living in Cedar Rapids is relatively low. Great neighborhoods and schools, great place to raise a family. Pay and incentives are improving.

Cons

Still need to work on career development.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to career development.