Robert Walters

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Robert Walters Chief Executive Robert C. Walters

Robert C. Walters

A bit ordinary

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational opportunities, blue chip client base, social culture

ConsPoor base salary and discretionary commission structure, very little additional training outside your initial 6 months, poor negative leadership

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your staff and reward them better

Know your company

Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat bunch of people to work with.

ConsLack of leadership and direction. A surprise culture of "surprise you're actually not doing that well."

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate the people around you. Invest in those who are making the effort

Robert Walters is a great employer

I have been working at Robert Walters

ProsGood Personal Growth, good Work-Life Balance

ConsAggressive Targets, highly competitive culture

Advice to Senior ManagementLine up incentives to the pay structure.

Steep learning curve and challenging, but overall good company

Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsGood team dynamics with lots of info sharing across the floor. There has been some major changes in senior management, but it has started to stabilise and business confidence is growing. Excellent company culture with lots of staff events/drinks which helps staff bond, particularly with support staff. There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process. The company has a great brand name, which helps when reaching out to clients/candidates, and a strong database which makes the job more manageable.

ConsIt is ultimately a sales-driven role, so you will have to be prepared to work hard, and work smart. There are KPIs to achieve, but nowadays this has eased up slightly. Turnover rates used to be high, but has reduced to regular attrition rates as with any sales job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management can look at more ways to interact with the team outside of work to help establish stronger relationships between management and staff, which will help foster a better sense of belonging and more open channels of communication.

Help my client to get rid of her employee

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthis company has a very good name

ConsI was forced to help one of my client to get rid of one of her employee by recruiting this employee to a bad job, Now this employee is jobless.
I felt very regret and since then i changed my career path to other area.

Advice to Senior Managementsometimes recruiter has no choice, to maintain the client relationship we have to do harmful thing to people for our own benefit.

Sales centric organization, not as much growing opportunities for support staff

I have been working at Robert Walters

Prosgreat working hours and location

Conshigh turnover and improper management

Don't do it

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time for more than a year

ProsNot a whole lot. You get to meet clients out of the office

ConsThey don't pay commission
Training is very poor- they just let you loose and see what happens. They hire loads of recruiters and see who survives. They promised me loads of commission and it never happened even though I had a long period if billing. Avoid them!

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your recruiters and advise them before you hire them it's nothing other than a sales job. They are a number. Nothing more or less.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work! International, nice people, fun.

Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational work environment. Many workers from different countries. English is the standard language for communication.

People working at Robert Walters is very nice. It is very fun working with them.

Compensation is good to meet hardwork.

ConsI am pretty happy with the environment I work. It sounds untrue but I do not have negative feelings to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep motivating workers with many ways as you are doing today

Experience of working for a bilcultural, fun recruitment company in Tokyo

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time for less than a year

ProsA great place to start your career in recruitment
Working with people who are motivated, ambitious and sucessful
Lots of perks and good benefits
Training program and support

ConsSometimes you have to work long hours but you can choose on how you manage your time.

Glorified "Car-salesman" position

Singapore (Singapore)

ProsMulti-cultural staff
Lively
The company does spend a lot on looking good, and trying to pamper clients. Thus, there is a lot of glitzy parties, etc.

ConsIt is a perpetual number-chase. There is no quality in the work, just chasing the sales number. Management starts pushing sales targets down your throat, especially as the quarter end approaches. There is an obvious ego crisis going on in most of the management; when people leave due to unrealistic demands being asked of them ( attrition rate is about 4-5 a month, in an office of 100), the management turns around and says that "they are not meant to excel". In my time there, I saw top sales people from Banking, IT, etc all come in, and leave within 2 months because of the micromanagement levels. There is also plenty of back-stabbing / undercurrents and sarcastic jibes / verbal wars going on, and they try to mask this by claiming that it is a "dynamic, high-pace environment" One can really feel themselves deteriorating intellectually and emotionally after working there for a while. In order to survive here, the single biggest thing that one needs is a massive tolerance for ridicule/ insult and intense pressure, but be prepared to NOT be compensated for doing so as one might expect in other industries.

Also, there is added pressure in the form of internal competition; top management always demand to know why team A is not pulling in as much sales as team B, and this pressure gets pushed down to the consultants. The sales and marketing team is doing well, but other teams struggle and the managers tend to do a blame game, pinning it on the consultants. Many a time, the managers will pack up and leave for their many party / drinking sessions whilst the consultants will pull late hours. The worst bit is the group bonus scheme, which is another reason why many leave. One does not earn commission according to their sales numbers, but instead, earn a "discretionary" bonus only AFTER they hit a target. Even then, it is siphoned off mostly to the managers. Micromanagement and padding managements' wallets are the main orders of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not micromanage the teams, and focus only on sales all the time.
Also, wringing the consultants dry because the industry is failing is rather a bullying tactic, rather than a proper recovery plan. The model of business, and the percentage margins need to go down if they are to keep up with the market or in-house recruitment.

Worked for Robert Walters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Robert Walters reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Robert Walters CEO Robert C. Walters. All 49 reviews are posted anonymously by Robert Walters employees.