www.robertwalters.com

Updated 26 January, 2015
3.6

Robert Walters Chief Executive Officer Robert Walters
Robert Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process (in 5 reviews)

• Team based structure, so very little of the backstabbing that happens at a lot of firms (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc (in 5 reviews)

• As with most sales roles, one has to sacrifice work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Comprehensive training for new recruiters

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Intensive training, easy to use database system, focused on team success, mgmnt encourages work life balance

Cons

Must be flexible with hours for meetings or phone calls in the evening; discretionary bonus scheme

Bonus compensation should be transparent

Comfortable working hours with a friendly team

I worked at Robert Walters

Pros

Flexible working hours, friendly team

Cons

Hours of work vary from week to week

Graduate position, great London location, poor training program

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

London location is second to none, tough interview process which means they take care in picking the right people.

Cons

Poor training program in place. No work life balance, 12 hour working days with minimum break.

Invest some time into giving sales staff the tools they need in order to succeed.

Fun environment, Competitive culture

Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Robert Walters as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment
    Competitive Culture
    Meritocratic

I was an intern at robert walters singapore. Through my observations and interactions, the company had a rather fun-loving employees. They were largely young and full of energy who had a penchant for reaching targets. I know for a fact that the money can be really attractive in this company. Bonuses are generous, albeit not fully transparent. If you have the will to succeed and is extremely client oriented, you can potentially be one of the largest billers in the office.

Cons

Competitive Culture
    Meritocratic

The above being said, the fact remains that RW is a largely competitive, quota driven, hit or you're out company. During my short stint of 2 months there, I witnessed a handful of people leaving the company. Convert that to percentage, I reckon it would be in the range of 5-10%.

Once, there was a fresh consultant whom i got to know at the start of the week, and by the following week he was gone. Poof, just like that. And the response to why was it so, it was merely a very matter of fact response - "he couldn't perform".

I guess people disappearing might hurt the morale of the company somewhat. But then again, it is the nature of this industry.

NA

limitless opportunities if your prepared to put the work in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Robert Walters are a growing business and as such have a lot of opportunities for those willing to put in the hours. I like the fact the business is global, and that there are opportunities to travel and work with different cultures (like Japan for example). Overall I have found the business to be supportive and my career has certainly benefited from my time here.

Cons

Its recruitment - that means the hours are long (but not as long as some of the recruitment companies I have worked for) and there can be a lot of pressure. That means its not for everyone, but for those that enjoy the challenge its a head and shoulders above the competition.

keep on going as you are!

Good company but was mismanaged at the time

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very international, vibrant, worked with colleagues and clients, candidates from all over the world. Fun loving culture and the company provided Friday fresh fruits, weekly or monthly parties / recreational activities. High quality employees, smart people in the company. Very driven culture with regular all-staff meeting conducted to charge everyone up with go-getter energy

Cons

too KPI focused. Almost rigid about the number of phone calls made, meetings made. It sometimes made employees go for these metrics than going for final deals, which means people waste lots of productive time, just to get the stress off their mind. At the mid of 2012, many people resigned and the company suffered from low morale. Everyone felt they could be kicked out any point of time and the company did not treasure any individual. Another problem is their discretionary bonus which had no transparency. Consultants complain about that a lot.

Believe the management has changed since 2012. Heard things are better now however the KPI driven nature is in its genes. It is important to make sure the culture is intact and people are happy

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Very challenging work and good team play.

Cons

Sometimes could be a bit stressful.

None

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Robert Walters as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Get you a role that pay

Cons

Dodgy Recuiters. They dont know their clients and just place candidates. They lied to the candidates. They are just a company that are making money and dont care about their candidates at all. Candidates will feel helpless when they have issues with their client because there are no hr.

Even the director dont really care

Clique or die.....

I have been working at Robert Walters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job security once you've past probation which is usually 3 months. Nice office in a very central location.

Cons

Everything is done on a clique basis, if you're not in with the lads then you won't ever get a promotion, pay rise or even an invite to the pub. Management treat it like a game & don't seem to care about the effect they're having on those people who have put in far more hours & been far more productive.

Don't allow long term members of middle management to promote their buddies into their teams, leaving hard working staff wondering what the point of all their hard work was.

Robert Walters Photos