Robert Walters

Robert Walters Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Robert Walters Chief Executive Robert C. Walters

Robert C. Walters

Pros
  • There is a good training programme in place, especially for people new to recruitment, which helps ease the process(in 5 reviews)

• Good training ground for those who are new to recruitment(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours- expect to be working til midnight Monday to Friday, weekends etc(in 5 reviews)

• Turnover rates used to be high, but has reduced to regular attrition rates as with any sales job(in 4 reviews)

Great training ground and support

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThe company provides intensive training in all aspects of recruitment - from candidate and client management right down to writing job ads and database management. I have learnt so much here and the support systems have been equally impressive - from IT to Marketing to team support. Best part of this company would be its strong brand - it has helped open a lot of doors and opprtunities for me.

ConsThere is a constant expectation to perform and achieve targets - which I guess is part of sales. The company can also do better in terms of staff benefits, which may not be as competitive as some of the MNCs I have worked in before.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on staff retention and consider improving staff benefits - beyond just sales incentives and the typical remuneration. The company is already a leader in the recruitment space and would definitely benefit by being innovative in designing unique reward systems and lead the industry with a highly competitive package - setting high standards for others to follow like what Google and LinkedIn have done.

Great opportunities to be recognized for your strengths and interest

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

ProsSenior management is willing to let me delve further in my areas of interest because I repeatedly come up with ideas for something that naturally excites me. Colleagues may come across cool and reserved at first but they do open up after awhile and are genuinely kind people. The downtown Shanghai office is a huge perk - it's sleek with a view of the city from the 36th floor.

ConsIt takes awhile for the company to get comfortable with new staff's abilities and potential because we come from various work backgrounds, so turnover of new people may be quite high. But as soon as they are comfortable that you have the DNA they look for, it opens up plenty of opportunities, and these people end up staying a good while.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt wouldn't hurt to revisit existing incentive structures so that it better reflects the company's great values.

Working as Recruitment Consultant

ProsProfessional, Cool. learn a lot

Consstress, pressure, you know when you set target high, its tiered

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great first job; not that career position

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAs a first job out of university working in a recruitment firm really does give you a great understanding of commercial sales skills, and how to be successful at sales. Robert Walters mantra is different from many of its competitors, it places an emphasis on the job-seeker and clients needs before that of the consultants i.e. commission. What this this allows is for you to purely focus on doing your job, without any adverse interests. Its a good lesson, as if you work hard, the rest will look after itself.

ConsLong hours- working in sales means in many respects you have to be 'in it; to win it'. If you put the hours in you will generally find success and reward; if you do the bare minimum, often you won't. Sales is very black and white in that respect and you can't take short-cuts. The position itself does become a little monotonous, especially in the current market / wider economic environment we operate in. Cost- low rates, low fees, highly competitive recruitment market with rate hikes, and often the appetite to recruit and higher not in the mind set. I found myself speaking to a lot of job-seekers out of work, needing a job, and not being able to find one- it all become a little depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize the junior staff members. A company is only as good as its employees. If the company is to truly kick-on and really enhance its global standing as the market leader as a professional recruitment consultancy then senior management shouldn't discourage entrepreneurialism; its should embrace it and support it. I found most of the senior management were very short and narrow minded, and wouldn't know what the notion of 'business continuity planning' was if it smacked them in the face. Most of the management entered the recruitment market pre-2007 when it was well, too easy to make money- then the global financial crisis happened. What this means is, management in play don't understand or know how to adapt to modern market conditions. I witnessed a lot of talented; intelligent graduate calibre professionals leave the company very frustrated- this was often due to sloppy management and a lack of support / guidance.

overall is fine

Prosgood colleagues

Consin-transparency compensation

Really grateful for the IT Team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBoosted my English, dress sense and taught me how to work hard and play hard. Jeffrey Goh is one of the best managers I've ever worked with!

ConsIt can get stressful due to high expectations so your work performance really depends on how resilient you are in succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps have more soft skill training for all employees

commission based recruitment made some recruiters unethical

Annonymoue (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Prosbig global company with global brand

Consbe careful on some of the recruiters here as he will cheat you to the wrong job because of the commission and good pay rise. Don't simply believe they will find a good job for you.

Advice to Senior Managementwhen you have promoted such unethical recruiter that mean you are agreeing his unethical behavior.

Strong company management and friendly corporate culture

Intern (Former Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

ProsGood work-life balance, strong care from management towards employees, and there is a clear support in training programs even for interns.

ConsKeep up the good work!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Excellent experience. Rapid career progression

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- International network and mobility. I started in Tokyo then had the chance to open a brand new office in San Francisco after being with the company for 6yrs. In my 9yrs here, I've spent time working and training in Singapore, Hong Kong, Sydney, London, New York and have attended incentive trips in Vegas, Sth Africa, Bali and Guam.
    - Company looks after high performers very well and values them highly
    - Guaranteed base salaries that increase as you progress upwardly through the company . They are unsurpassed in the industry
    - Great culture and a really fun bunch of people to work with
    - Large company with strong brand name makes it easier to bring on top tier clients

Cons- There are a lot of teams, divisions and branches inside of Robert Walters which also means that there are many micro-cultures. Make sure that your personality/work style fits that of your team members. It varies across branches.
    - As with any recruitment firm, or for that matter, most sales jobs, it's hard work with many ups and downs. The rewards are big for those who are willing to go the extra mile and can ride through the tough times.

Great place to work - one of the few recruitment firms where you can actually build a career

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Tokyo (Japan)

ProsOpportunities for career progression (internationally as well)
    Team based structure, so very little of the backstabbing that happens at a lot of firms
    Great office and benefits
    Managers invest time in training new staff, so a great place to learn

ConsToo many meetings
    Too much structure at times

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having as many meetings about meetings

Worked for Robert Walters? Contribute to the Community!