Riverbed Technology

Updated 17 September, 2014
4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 38 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Still suffering from some growing pains from quickly expanding the workforce over the past 4 years (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Leaders in WAN optimization

Former Employee - Customer Facing
    Former Employee - Customer Facing

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

WAN optimization was, is, and will likely be their claim to fame for the foreseeable future. Lots of smart people floating around the place.

Cons

Overpaying for the OPNET acquisition will continue to put them in a precarious position to meet the demands of investors whose expectations will likely exceed the companies ability to extract value from a big bet.

nice an exciting company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Paris (France)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice work environment, challenging opportunities, open management,

Cons

I have no cons as for now

Riverbed has been a very dynamic company for the last 3 years

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Riverbed with its reputation and great core technology makes it easy for employees to develop further business and get job satisfaction.

Cons

Riverbed has to achieve big to extend into the new markets and this requires hiring the best people in the market as well as keeping the best employees in the company.

Listening to the field more outside US, not only from business dynamics perspective, but from HR perspective as well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging Work That's Valued By All

Current Employee - Marketing Director  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good management - there is nothing like the chaos I've experienced at other companies. I'm clear on my goals and I have what I need to achieve them. I know I'm good at what I do, and at Riverbed I have the ability to demonstrate that (and grow at the same time). Good work/life balance - I am happy to put in extra time when I need to, because I'm not on the hamster wheel all the time.

Cons

Growing pains as the company tries to scale. Sometimes it's not clear who's making a decision. Having said that, I'm positively amazed by how everyone is willing to fix what's broken (and do it nicely).

Keep giving employees the power to do their jobs well.

Great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lot's of opportunity to show what you can do.

Cons

Business growing more slowly than it did in the past

Decent work if you can keep your head down

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The products that Riverbed designs are unique and interesting. You're forced to stay up to date on the latest in IT when you're dealing with their products, they are constantly updating them to the latest technologies and trends. WAN Acceleration, deep packet inspection, flow collection, network modeling, network storage, all are technologies that Riverbed products use.

Company benefits are solid. Ample vacation and great health plan.

Cons

If you're in sales you run the company. If you're an engineer or support you answer to the whims of sales, no matter how idiotic their requests may seem. Sales has an absurd amount of influence, even for a publicly traded company, and most of them freely admit that they don't totally understand the technology that they're trying to sell. Or they understand certain aspects of it but not others. As a result they sometimes sell things that don't quite work how the customer thinks it should and the technical folks are left to clean up the mess. If you can stay away from sales and actually focus on the work it's not bad. But odds are you'll be dragged into the quagmire at some point.

Listen to your technical staff once in a while for long term solutions instead of just trying to make quotas for the next quarter. Consolidate some of the products as well, there are way too many at this point.

Riverbed is a nice place to work though experiences can vary significantly if working for its recent acquisitions.

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

California offices of the company have a great culture - open and employee-friendly. C-level management is very competent and affable. The company is working on the latest technology trends hence staying with, if not ahead of the technology curve.

Cons

Though some of the recent acquisitions may have been good decisions in terms of technology and customer base, the work culture in the acquired companies was far from top-notch, plagued by favoritism and lack of vertical communication. Nonetheless, things are improving, albeit very slowly.

Train VP-level management in recent acquisitions for personnel management skills.

Great product domain and technology, lousy management, pushing new products offshore

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time

Pros

Good pay and domain to work in.

Cons

Leadership allows lousy managers to stay in place. Pushing new development offshore. They do not match well the 401K. A very low matching amount. Also, vacation max is 4 weeks. Product features are unrealistic and development time is short causing a lot of overtime to be required to make the release.

Good culture, some home run products, others struggle in their market

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great management, large amount of independence, solid benefits, good compensation. The companies polices incentivize winning behavior without being overwhelmingly overbearing or encouraging cut-throat behavior.

Cons

The company has pressure from the financial markets to increase their growth rate and have been taken some slightly unnatural acquisition steps to achieve goals. There is currently turmoil around the company's identity and value prop

Internship great!

Current Employee - Support Survey  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Support Survey in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Company culture was great, friendly and open. Good place to get your feet wet, since they will treat you well as an intern and give you good starter projects.

Cons

You can't move up if you are in the RAP program, but still great for meeting great connections and starting.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!