Riverbed Technology

Riverbed Technology Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly

Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros:
  • "Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Still suffering from some growing pains from quickly expanding the workforce over the past 4 years"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Leaders in WAN optimization

Customer Facing (Former Employee)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsWAN optimization was, is, and will likely be their claim to fame for the foreseeable future. Lots of smart people floating around the place.

ConsOverpaying for the OPNET acquisition will continue to put them in a precarious position to meet the demands of investors whose expectations will likely exceed the companies ability to extract value from a big bet.

Company is at crossroads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros"Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here"

ConsCareer development can be challenging in certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to motivate employees and learn to absorb acquisitions.

ISR

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Istanbul (Turkey)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best people to work with, all smart, talented and pro-active.

ConsCompany is getting bigger so it scares me that the corporate culture will have to change too.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far i have been working with great managers, so nothing to say to them.

Talented individuals and great work culture. Compensation needs to be improved

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Prosit is a great culture where employees are encouraged to take responsibility and are empowered to innovate. The company is moving in the right direction with respect to vision and shareholder value.

ConsNavigating all the team and processes involved in getting changes done

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation should be improved. A lot of the salaries are below standard compensation in the industry. We need to stop churn with better compensation packages

Riverbed SE

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI've been at Riverbed for just over four years. Has been a lot of fun and challenging at times. Pay and perks are good.

ConsThe company is evolving so expect the headaches that go along with that.

network engineer

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood perks and good work culture

Consnot that I know of any

Awesome experience, the people who work there are very friendly and helpful.

Internal Audit (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe employee benefits and the relaxed California culture make coming to work easy. I was only an intern that worked for them over one summer, but I definitely had a great time showing up everyday.

ConsAs an intern I did not face many challenges throughout the day. I would say finding a place to live for two months while working there was the most challenging task I faced.

Great culture and work/life balance

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsThe open floor is great for teamwork and communication. Everyone is approachable and friendly.

ConsCareer development can be challenging in certain departments

Senior Management in the IT Dept was terrible for several years - New blood now has a chance to right the ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany high quality individuals throughout the company in different departments and at all levels.

ConsThe top three in charge of the IT dept stifled growth by instilling fear as a means to drive results. One in particular with a proud military background was probably the worst but was clearly convinced that such scare tactics were beneficial, all the while employees were leaving the company left and right. These top level "leaders" of the dept repeatedly made poor decisions, alienated business partners and employees alike, executed highly impacting mistakes, and spent more time and effort covering up such mistakes rather than take ownership and capture learning experiences. Great case study in how incompetence destroys an organization from the inside out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify your own shortcomings and take action to grow rather than deceive.

Friendly envrionment, but company is struggling to find itself

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe highlight of working at Riverbed is my colleagues. Everyone is quite friendly, good sense of humor, very smart, and always willing to help out. While everyone's work hours and habits are flexible (another big plus), everyone works to accommodate each other. This creates an environment of learning and collaboration that is great for junior and senior engineers alike.

I also appreciate Riverbed's practice of integrating new tools and libraries into our work flow. At the same time, regular tech-talks are held to introduce said tools and libraries, to ensure everyone is on board with the selection and implementation. The best part is that everyone has the opportunity to introduce their favorite technology to the company.

In that vein, Riverbed is still a company full of opportunity. Every employee is encouraged to find new problems to solve with our products, to take initiatives to make our product better, more reliable, more efficient. There isn't always time for every initiative, so some things have to be done on personal time, but initiatives can be rewarding.

ConsFollowing the last of the Pros, it feels like there is never enough time to do things "the right way" at Riverbed. There is always a deadline looming, and designs / plans are constantly being shaved down to meet deadlines, even if it does not make sense. Part of the reason, I believe, is that many teams at Riverbed are understaffed. I hear this all the time: "we don't have the resources to complete this feature on time"

Even though the Sunnyvale employees just moved into a brand new building, it already feels crowded. There aren't enough conference rooms, bathrooms, space in the break room is limited. The "open seating design" of the offices is great for collaboration, but horrible for concentration. Noise is a constant issue, be it your coworkers socializing, people talking loudly on phones, people leaving their cell phone ring tones at full volume, etc.

Despite many years of growth, Riverbed has yet to figure out how to scale itself as an engineering organization. Processes, designs, frameworks are changing rapidly, often without time to fully "shake out the bugs". This leaves developers as perpetual guinea pigs, experiencing the pain of working through half-baked procedures and designs.

As others have noted, compensation does not follow the market... especially since last year's $1BB acquisition of OPNET. It seems costs are being cut since this acquisition, and us employees are bearing the brunt of the cuts. There is little compensation besides salary: mostly stock-based incentives, and RVBD stock hasn't been very consistent in its growth. As a result, RVBD has higher than average turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with the acquisitions! Let's focus on growing our core business, including growing and retaining in-house talent.

Worked for Riverbed Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Riverbed Technology Videos

Riverbed Technology – Why Work for Us?

Join the Winning Team Riverbed Technology and our award-winning WAN optimization solutions are changing the way organizations work. The pride, expertise, and innovation we build into our products and services are an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Riverbed Technology reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Riverbed Technology CEO Jerry M. Kennelly. All 441 reviews are posted anonymously by Riverbed Technology employees.