Riverbed Technology

Updated 21 October, 2014
4.2

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 43 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Leaders in WAN optimization

Former Employee - Customer Facing
    Former Employee - Customer Facing

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

WAN optimization was, is, and will likely be their claim to fame for the foreseeable future. Lots of smart people floating around the place.

Cons

Overpaying for the OPNET acquisition will continue to put them in a precarious position to meet the demands of investors whose expectations will likely exceed the companies ability to extract value from a big bet.

"Amazing Products & Great Culture"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are amazing! Every one of the products in the portfolio works as advertised. As a sales rep you know there will be no rear-view selling. Culture at the SF HQ is fantastic! The executive leadership has been able to keep a start-up feel at a big company. Inside sales team works & plays hard! Ultimately every company has its faults but the executives are willing to admit mistake and try to fix problems. Our Sr. VP of Sales for the America's is an inspirational leader who knows how to turn some of the sales execution problems around. You can complain about any job...and yes there are there are under-performers who will write nasty things but that's a part of being a big company.

Cons

Compensation for Inside Sales is not at the level of a lot of other companies. This we are told is being "worked on" but for now remains below market. The troubles reported recently definitely cause anxiety but that's the nature of working at a tech company.

Keep doing whats right for the investors and employees. There is a lot of love & faith from the employees!

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!

Interesting Place to Work

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

There are some really talented people at Riverbed who truly believe in the value of the solutions offered. Great team work, and an over all great solution set.

Cons

Limited communication down through the ranks. Executive staff are great about the overall company, but regional and local management leave much to be desired in terms of communication.

Awesome

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and a great team - tremendous support and culture

Cons

company growth started reducing some of the pros outlined above

Admittedly hard - try and preserve as much of the energy as enthusiasm as the early days.

Top-down and consistent focus on collaboration and culture

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many opportunities to work cross-functionally in alignment with big customer and company initiatives. This is culturally the most frictionless environment I've ever worked in--the ethic of "git 'er done" is pervasive across all functions and in practically every person I've encountered. The pace is fast and the work is demanding, but the explicit focus here on employees from executive leadership is superior to all my previous employers.

Cons

Very lean, IT services-wise. IT doesn't get in the way, but some of the niceties I grew accustomed to with other employers are absent here. The focus on cloud-delivered and off-the-shelf systems could definitely benefit from some integration and systems work.

Great technology and vision, needs improvement on execution

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Bethesda, MD (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology and vision for where the IT industry is going. A lot of smart, driven people to work with. Everyone works hard to make IT better for our customers and works in a collaborative environment for the benefit of our customers and bottom-line revenue.

Cons

The leadership is slow to execute their vision and communicate it through the ranks in order to get momentum for important initiatives. This is particularly prevalent in product roadmaps and marketing execution.

Communicating initiatives down through all levels of the company is important to ensure the great culture and to enable execution on the vision for the company. There are many times our own internal policies and processes are more of a roadblock than external industry forces.

Friendly people and plenty of things to do

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Member of Technical Staff) in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on diverse technologies, relatively low process overhead for product development. Good work-life balance possible.

Cons

Chilly office, long term vision for our bit of the company not entirely clear

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, good work/life balance, fair compensation, and a lot of smart engineers always willing to help if you have a problem.

Cons

Communication between engineering teams, and with other business teams (PM, Support) has room for improvement.

One of the best, if not THE best, teams I have ever worked with. Caring, engaged and smart people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team is smart and capable, funny, caring.

Cons

Compensation is fair, not great. benefits are fair, not amazing. really middle-of-the-pack.

Make with the Silicon Valley-style benefits and comp, already!

Fantastic Internship Experience

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The inside sales team a fantastic group of people to work with and management is extremely open, welcoming and supportive. I was pleasantly surprised at how involved and appreciated I felt in my role.
    People here seem genuinely pleased with the work they were doing and the impact they were having on the company.
    They also had plenty of events for us to attend, at least one or two a week, such as trainings, volunteer events and lunches.
    Definitely got to build some great relationships with people, so overall a satisfying experience.

Cons

Internship program was only open to relatives of current Riverbed employees and there's no way to move up or extend the internship past the 8 weeks.

Riverbed Technology Response

Sep 30, 2014HR Recruiting

We are so glad you had a successful internship, thank you for the feedback! We do have other types of internship programs that are open to non-family members of Riverbed. The Riverbed Accelerator ... More

Riverbed Technology Photos