Riverbed Technology

Updated 26 February, 2015
4.1

Riverbed Technology Chairman, President, and CEO Jerry M. Kennelly
Jerry M. Kennelly

Pros
  • Having worked at some other places I find a great work life balance here" (in 45 reviews)

• Great people, although that can vary widely depending on the group you're in (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing faster than its engineering process is evolving (in 12 reviews)

• Growing pains associated with transforming sales team to a multi-product solution sales team (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Leaders in WAN optimization

Former Employee - Customer Facing
    Former Employee - Customer Facing

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

WAN optimization was, is, and will likely be their claim to fame for the foreseeable future. Lots of smart people floating around the place.

Cons

Overpaying for the OPNET acquisition will continue to put them in a precarious position to meet the demands of investors whose expectations will likely exceed the companies ability to extract value from a big bet.

Great technology portfolio for a relatively mature tech company still in growth mode.

Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Channel Sales in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Riverbed consistently offers opportunity for career advancement and ongoing training, and values investing in their employees. Although I departed for another opportunity, I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

One of the major challenges is the company is going private via buyout from Thoma Brava. Until that is settled and they inevitably restructure, there will be short term headwinds to understanding the overall strategy and key leadership that will be retained.

Continue to invest in your people and make them feel valued, yet at the same time make certain to hold employees (especially long timers) to a high standard of performance & productivity.

Excellent technology, great opportunity

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Riverbed is full of great technology, that is being assembled into a strong portfolio of solutions. The Wan Optimization is the best, and when coupled with the Performance Management portfolio, you create a much more compelling and complete offer. Private Equity purchase will add some cash to pockets of people with Stock. The transition has great promise of success to move well past the $1B hurdle.

Cons

The market for WanOp has matured, requiring a bit more effort by the sales and product teams than in years past. Not everyone is willing to change, and that creates some issues in the transformation. Some of it is inability to change and adapt, some is just lack of desire or motivation. A cleansing rinse is in order and those ready to go to the next level with Riverbed will stay, others will leave or be left behind. This is makes for some uncomfortable environments. The lack of information on the buyout progress, the product roadmaps, future compensation/incentive programs, and anything beyond the buyout - all lead to people standing still rather than working toward a goal.

Take care of what you can now - Product roadmaps, compensation plans, quotas, etc.. give people a goal to focus on. Communication is critical. Some of the changes are dragging on too long and causing people to doubt that new management is going to be be capable of leading the change needed. I believe it will be fine, but not everyone shares my view.

Great Inside Sales Job

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, true sales environment

Cons

Management out of tune with operations

A very strong company in it's market with great future. the company knows and shows it is based on the employee

Current Employee - BIS Manager
    Current Employee - BIS Manager

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

strong based company which now will be private again.

Cons

too many changes are going on in the last year after jumping to 1B dollar company

share more of how plans are about to roll out and when.

The adults are (thankfully) in charge!

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Riverbed Technology full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I came to Riverbed after a two-year stint in a large Valley software company where chaos reigned and nothing really got done unless blood or tears were spilled. At Riverbed, I found rational people who are smart and capable, working on the stuff that matters, in an environment where people help each other and care about the quality of their work. Decisions get made, people get recognized, and everyone is treated well. I joined a GREAT team under a GREAT manager, and I'm still incredibly happy nine months later.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains, and people who have been here for a long time can be a bit cynical about the direction we are headed. But when 100% of industry analysts say they would recommend Riverbed to their clients (and they do), I figure our product and technology strategy is on track -- so the haters are being pretty harsh. We are also in the midst of going private, and there are a lot of people who want to know whether stock incentives and the ESPP program will be replaced with other incentives -- and I get that too -- but this is a company with a l-o-n-g track record of treating employees really well, so I for one am trusting that the company will offer all of us a reason to stay.

Increase face-time with employees to let us know what you're working on to speed this transition. Tell employees about bit wins that demonstrate we are on track. Make sure the deal to go private protects employees, and really doesn't create a lot of pain.

Great place to work

I worked at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Great work environment, non stuffy culture

Cons

Hard to move to new areas of the company

Still good place to work despite many changes

I have been working at Riverbed Technology

Pros

Culture and benefits still above industry average despite many changes.

Cons

Feels like company has matured and best days are behind.

Keep innovating.

Politically driven company with little runway on technology

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Riverbed Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Riverbed was once a wonderful place to work for and that has eroded over time. It has always been very politically driven versus a meritocracy. The products have always worked extremely well and I was very proud to sell them through my tenure. The employees always believed that Jerry (CEO) was doing what was in their best interest until the last year or so when key figures started to leave.

The office is in a beautiful location and is stocked with good snacks. Riverbed's benefits are amazing as well.

Cons

The company is falling fast. Looking at earnings reports (take out selling of product lines and see how far off they are) and make your judgement. Infrastructure is moving to the cloud and WAN based products clearly have a short term shelf life. That is one of the main reasons that key people are leaving. Riverbed acquired the Opnet product line and it was by most opinions a huge mistake. Performance management and analytics of applications are incredibly important but they need to drive those results from SAAS/Cloud based applications.

Overall the corporate culture is not what it was just a few years ago. Key positions in sales and HR have been filled with a lot of ex-cisco people who don't show much value in the employee. That is my opinion at least and I know it is shared by others.

They have blatantly made horrible mistakes in their layoffs. Regional Sales reps at 5-20% of quota were kept on and other departments dismantled. Much of this was politically driven and a calculation of HR costs. This is not how it was presented by Jerry in October. There are hundreds of positions that are filled by people showing up at 10am leaving a 2 after a 1+ hour lunch and are making 100-200k per year (recruiting). They are so desperate to keep talent until the acquisition is completed that they are promoting reps who were on performance plan, managers who couldn't forecast and employees who are flat out lazy.

Honestly if you really need a job this could be a good resume booster but don't think of this as more than a road bump.

Jerry needs to be deeply involved in things and not trust his Sr. management. You are keeping a large chunk of your company on a welfare program. How do you hire a CSO making seven figures and then layoff people some of which were top performers. Your people are disgusted with you and your leadership team. Have some real accountability, metrics and promote your people based on the merits of their work. I was one of the lucky ones to get promoted on my merits.

Riverbed Technology Photos