Reynolds American Reviews

Updated 6 August, 2014

3.4

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen
Daniel M. Delen

Pros
  • Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members (in 32 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is almost zero work/ life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

HR Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company offers great pay and benefits including health, dental education assistance, flex time, etc. I had the opportunity to work with some wonderful co-workers.

Cons

The company frequently downsizes so layoffs happen every couple of years. Ongoing employees frequently have long tenures so there is little opportunity for advancement made more pronounced because of the diminishing number of positions caused by downsizing. People smoke in the office.

Awesome experiences and opportunities have been provided to me

Current Employee - Director  in  Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I am allowed to do my work without constant oversight. I have the opportunity to help other employees

Cons

Work-life balance is very challenging!

Continue to be transparent and provide opportunites to high performing employees.

Great experience and training

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Flexible work schedule and excellent training. Day to day work is generally not difficult

Cons

Travelling often depending on the territory, sometimes national decisions don't translate well to the individual locations.

A little more flexibility in terms of contracts would be nice

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, especially starting your career

Current Employee - Territory Manager II  in  Chambersburg, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager II in Chambersburg, PA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay (especially for young people fresh out of college)
    Good bonus
    Great Car benefit! personal use/ spouse use
    Opportunity to get 2 raises (6% and then 8% in 3 years)
    If you have good management, day to day can be great, pretty easy!
    Good time off benefits
    good health/401K
    Good sales rep experience

Cons

Have to play the "game" to get promoted
    Industry is taboo... people say some interesting things about you
    You have to be mobile... which can be really good or really bad
    in gas stations all day, not the most glamorous work

Don't micro manage and TM's will be happier

Great starting point but don't stay long

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits, but don't think it's long term. You'll start off much higher but in the long haul you'll make less, unless you can move up every 3 years max. don't wait longer than that. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work there, so it's a great "start out" company. They will provide a lot of training that you will eventually want to take someplace else.

Cons

Once you work in tobacco, in many cases when you go to move on, other companies will question your judgement due to the fact you worked for a tobacco co. It unfortunate and based on ignorance, but true. Long term growth and advancement will NOT be as fast with other CPG's if you are a result oriented hard working, innovative type person.

This is a more top down style run company versus a bottoms up company. Get in make friends and sound good and you'll do well. Used to be a very result oriented company. They do not value longer term experience due to the potential long term cost of longer term employee's. It more of a what have you done for me lately management style. Upper management rarely changes, reducing opportunity at the higher positions.

Very good work life balance

Current Employee - Territory Manager III  in  Florence, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager III in Florence, SC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, company car. Freedom to schedule your day and week.

Cons

Tobacco sales declining, upper mobility jobs seldom open up.

good company, good benefits, good wages

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

wages ,benefits, location, growth, promotions

Cons

tobacco industry declining, non union environment

Such a great job!!

Former Employee - Territory Manager III
    Former Employee - Territory Manager III

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company car is definitely a huge plus, with free gas. Your car is your office, everyday is a different. You're not stuck inside a cubicle.

Cons

Some managers tend to micro-manage

Learn some constructive criticism, be more motivating to your team.

It does not get better than RJR!

Current Employee - Trade Marketing
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

competitive salary, great benefits, 401k match, company vehicle, work hard / play hard, certification, critical selling skills - The list goes on

Cons

Nothing I can think of other than IT issues, as the database runs very slow
    Promotions are a lot less as of late due to little turnover - Actually a positive

Continue driving the coaching culture

Good Career Starting Point

Former Employee - Territory Manager II
    Former Employee - Territory Manager II

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can create your own schedule, autonomy, company car without personal restrictions (you do pay a fee monthly for use). 6% matching 401k plan, relaxed company atmosphere, good sales training course (CSS course). The pay is on the higher end compared to the rest of the Rep jobs out there. You can make a decent living off of a TM 3 salary if you live in an affordable location. From my understanding the job security is great. They rarely fire anyone, and pretty much the only way to get fired seems to be by falsifying calls. Although the industry does decline every year, so cuts will have to be made in the future. RJR is emerging as the leader in every category except combustibles (cigarettes) through their innovative nature. They allow and encourage true partnership building relationships. Looks good on a resume.
    You should have a pretty good work-life balance, of course if you want to receive promotions then your work life balance becomes a little more geared towards work. All of this depends on your manager as well, I was lucky to have a really good one. Some are extremely strict on scheduling, and expect 8-5 in the field, 6-8 computer work and at least 2 hours of computer work on the weekends. Good vacation policy, 17 days on your first year, and freedom to use those whenever.

Cons

This job grows ever redundant, after you’ve established your assignment; you spend most of your days twiddling your thumbs. 99% of what you’ll be doing on a day to day basis is merchandising. If you like a challenging work environment this is not it. You also spend 95% of your time in convenience stores; so the majority of your customers will likely hate their job, which makes yours more difficult. Get used to someone complaining every time you have to remerchandise a fixture. On this topic, the majority of the merchandising you’ll be doing will have very little impact on market share, my region had 2 assignments that were vacant for an extended period of time, and those ranked in the top of region (kind of puts what you do on a day to day basis in perspective).
    You can be in dangerous work environments; depending on the assignment you are given. Speaking of assignments, you have very little choice where you are relocated, and the only way to receive promotions is based on your willingness to relocate. Promotions are also very rare, in my year and a half with the company; I believe I saw 4 promotions to the Account Manager level in the entire county. When I first started the managers would claim that promotions were based on performance, they are finally starting to admit that there is a log jam in the company now, and that high performers are looking at a timeframe of around 5 years before they can move out of the territory manager role.
    The biggest con for me is how your performance is rated. There are not any metric figures to reach, or goals they expect you to achieve to get on the succession list, or to receive a better bonus rating. My peers and I after countlessly asking truly don’t have an understanding of how our performance is rated, other than all of the managers gather in a panel, and subjectively compare your performance to everyone else in your region. This process has become so frustrating to some that they’ve stopped doing the extra things, because majority of the time it doesn’t result in a higher bonus. They’ll receive the same bonus rating as someone who did the bare minimum not to get fired.

Evaluate how you rate employee’s performance. Set some metric standards for receiving high achieves and exceeds ratings, along with a standard for what you want to see in employees to reach the account manager position. I understand that in a declining industry, judging performance based upon share growth wouldn’t be effective. I understand this could be difficult, but if metric standards were set, and employees did not feel like everything was so subjective, I believe you would get better results and a higher retention span for high performers. Look at how your employees responded to the CE goal set last year. Setting reachable metric goals could drastically improve this company. Some metric goals could be call coverage, execution on new product implementation, merchandising compliance, out of stocks, etc.

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!