Reynolds American

Reynolds American Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Reynolds American Chairman, President, & CEO Daniel M. Delen

Daniel M. Delen

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Good starting pay, and for the most part great team members"
    in 30 reviews
  • "work life balance becomes a little more geared towards work"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is almost zero work/ life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Watch your back, senior management in information management have a problem with communicating the truth"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great for someone looking for B2B experience out of college but not much more.

Territory Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for less than a year

ProsUnsupervised for the majority of time, Company Car, Co-Workers are all eager to help, Great Training

ConsConstant change of strategy, Clients, Most business conducted in dangerous areas, little to no room for advancement, Tobacco Industry is in decline yet management continues to pitch "increased sales"

Advice to Senior ManagementChange pay structure in California, Understand client sophistication level, terrible compensation program

Great salary / benefits / challenging culture

Senior Scientist (Former Employee)
Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I worked at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent salary and benefits. At times way to political which causes people to go along for the sake of survival. Work environment improved for employees over the years to make it attractive to stay.

ConsChallenging high performance culture to an excess. Management never ever satisfied with employee performance even in years where you left it all on the field and gave till it hurt your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove middle management communication skills

Perfect opportunity for "hungry" College Grad's to kickstart their professional career

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Opportunities for upward mobility if you are willing to RELOCATE and put in the work to get there.
-Work Hard, Play Hard Company culture (if you're into that)
-Developing Talent is highly valued... this company will invest in you!
-All promotions are within the RAI talent pool (outside RAI hires are rare)
-Benefits are fairly good (Vehicle/GAS, 401K, Health/Dental).

Cons-little opportunity to be creative. Much of the work is execution and robotic based. Unfortunately, the job can get somewhat monotonous and boring.
-inconsistency at entry level manager due to inexperienced manager's. Some manager's are excellent, some are horrible. In my opinion, much of this is due to RAI's "fast-track" strategy with succession candidates.
-Some bureaucracy (like any other fortune 500).
-Work Environment is primarily at Gas Stations and Convenience Stores... not exactly a glamorous work site.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the opportunity to share new ideas, practice creativity and innovation. The Tobacco Transformation you are trying to construct may be right under your nose.

Old school mentality, openly subject non smokers to chain smokers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Reynolds American

ProsPay is okay for the area, decent tuition reimbursement, somewhat trying to grow and recognize change is needed, but need to actually act on the need for change!

ConsPoor work environment, over worked, poor training, benefits aren't NEARLY as good as they'd like you to believe. Try to scare their employees into thinking they're the only game in town and everything is the best of the best there which isn't true!

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome aware of what your competition offers or you'll continue to lose good talent!!!

Good Learning Opportunity for recent graduates

Manager (Current Employee)
Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people are are great to work with

ConsWork Life Balance is not very good.

Great company

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

ProsInnovative and always something to do

ConsForced to move without getting a preference

Territory Manager means Glorified Merchandiser in this Company

Territory Manager III (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are many great Pros to the job like a company car, paid personal gas and insurance, full benefits, cell phone and internet allowance. There are some pretty nice co-workers you will come across, and the freedom of not having to see a manager everyday is great. The CEO is also a very nice and down to earth guy if you ever get a chance to meet him.

ConsKeep in mind that the tobacco industry is declining, but Division Managers will constantly put pressure on you to increase share for 2nd tier Camel products that are much less popular than the competition (Altria).

Cons:
1. Don't even think about career advancement, because there are barely any positions to strive for. Even if you do become a division manager after 5-10 years, you will still be going into gas stations and liquor stores for a living.
2. Going into gas stations and liquors stores everyday will frustrate you and you will often deal with hostile situations.
3. If you accept any relocation and moving bonus you will have to repay it if you leave within a year, and the company will charge you interest if you can't pay in a lump sum
4. You will not be able to use your brain at all and have to do merchandising all day (aka hanging up signs and changing signs).
5. The longer you spend in the company the more stupid you will feel. You will be out of touch with highly important skills you learn at other companies and even in excel classes at school.
6. The company hires 1.5 people per day, because there are so many dissatisfied employees. Probably 4/5 people I have come across are actively looking for new employment.
9. No real sense of team. It really does feel lonely after a while especially if you had to relocate and your closest co-worker is far away.

My advice to any college graduates or people with some sort of ambition who are on the job hunt: Skip this job and keep waiting for a better company!

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that many people are highly talented and skilled in performing job functions other than merchandising and you will stop having such a high employee turnover.

Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Co: No Leadership, Bad Culture

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time

ProsDecent starting salary, company car, benefits, 401k with match.

Cons1.) Treated as property; salary means "you do". No motivators outside of "we pay you".

2.) Clocking in/ out: that's right, as a salaried outside sales professional you must clock in/ out and are held accountable to making a certain number of visits per day within an 8 hour time frame. Make any more than said number (which changes quarterly, or semi-annually) and you're not making "quality calls", make any less and you're given some other watered down excuse for management.

3.) First time manager every year: "promote from within" basically means a first time manager will be learning from their mistakes, consequently effecting your career, every 1-2 years.

4.) Blatant favoritism: people who come into power easily typically have a hard time maintaining that power (see above). Promotions are not a result of hard work and industry knowledge, it comes down to filling affirmative action quotas and a fairly pathetic version of "networking".

5.) No leadership: people in power are coasting on organic growth of a niche brand.

6.) Bad Culture: it doesn't take long to see through the "generosity" of this company. SFNTC operates as the rich father who's family is falling apart because he tries to buy love and is blind to what really needs to be done.

*Extension of 6.) There is no integrity of company values. People in power do not care about sustainability or the value set behind the "image" American Spirit tries to portray to the public. The people running this company are making money from a growing niche, and "greenwashing".

Advice to Senior ManagementGut all Director level positions and start from scratch.

Okay company...

I have been working at Reynolds American

ProsGreat benefits, company car. I've had one really great manager and one really bad. So much of the job depends on who your boss is since that is your main contact.

ConsYou will have no control over where you live. Employees that want to advance are given very little say in where they are relocated to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPost job openings and allow employees to apply for promotions in areas they are interested in.

great place to work

Plant Manager (Current Employee)
Tobaccoville, NC (US)

I have been working at Reynolds American full-time for more than 10 years

Prossalary is the best in its class

Conssmell like tobacco all day

Advice to Senior Managementna

Worked for Reynolds American? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reynolds American reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Reynolds American CEO Daniel M. Delen. All 222 reviews are posted anonymously by Reynolds American employees.