Revel Systems

revelup.com

Revel Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Lisa Falzone

Amazing future potential for real growth

ProsProfessional growth is supported by senior management when aligned with company direction. I feel valued by my manager and senior management. I never have a boring day at work and thrive because I am provided the flexibility to own projects and solve problems! The consistent flow of innovation coming out of engineering is mind blowing. Very good benefits/perks for a small company.

ConsGiven this is a true start up/ small growth company, it is not for everyone. If you function best in a stable, static environment and/or need a very clear directives to work from, you would not be happy at Revel. As with other start ups I have worked at, there aren't many others performing the same function so I can't truly be off-grid for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into adding a 401k plan.

Believe me this company is the next big thing in the startup world

Technical Support (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros170 employees and growing fast,
    work hard but as the song goes "work hard, play hard" is our motto here at Revel.
     I just moved to SF office and I love it here. So much to do in this city and I am grateful that Revel is giving me a chance to succeed in life.
    Cool toys to play with all the time.
    Whole staff on support is always helping one anther and it is great team work here.

ConsRevel POS keeps changing all the time, so it is hard to stay up and up on all of the features.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate more and get more senior management as you are working yourselves to hard. I see the CTO running all over the world and he needs help.

Frustrating, disorganized, and childish

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsPlace is full of really fun nice people. Most them work very hard and know what they are doing.
    The product has so much potential -- in a great space.

ConsHigher levels of management lack experience. Management gets in the way of their employees. "Culture" and "values" are forced onto people. Respect and confidence is breed out of you, especially towards management. There is a "you are with us or against us mentality." To survive you must go along with questionable behavior and ethics.
    Valued employees don't get raises. Asking for one is a death sentence.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CTO needs to readjust his perspective. He is paranoid of his employees. He is ok falsifying linkedin profiles and reviews.
    The CEO and cofounder should step aside and and put in place someone who has the ability to focus the CTO and cofounder. Revel Systems is trying to do all things to all businesses. Revel Systems needs a CEO who can build confidence with new investors and prospective partners and who is able to listen to people who. The CEO needs to learn when to accept that she lacks knowledge and then do something about it.
    Revel Systems has a board but it their board does not have people from the outside who can provide guidance. This is sorely needed.
    Managment generally hires good people but they get in their way.
    I wish management was more environmentally friendly. I wish they would encourage people to use filtered tap.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Management and Below Average Talent Across the Board

Sales (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsTrendy office location, which seems to be the CEO's only tangible goal or accomplishment to date

Cons-Bad and inexperienced management, company runs very inefficiently from top to bottom
    -Pretty mediocre talent and qualifications across the board (few employees of elite educational or professional backgrounds)
    -Long hours that could be avoided if upper level management was better organized
    -Poor compensation
    -Culture is pretty disorganized and unprofessional- employees are pretty cavalier and apathetic

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, this company's only cure might be to scrap C-level management and the employees who don't add value, start hiring better talent

A company that pretends its on the cutting edge..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- There were a few great connections I made at Revel that I will carry with me moving forward.

Cons- not sure what people are talking about when saying 'Huge Growth'...
    - don't get fooled, the leadership is horrible. CEO is a joke.
    - Revel is a follower in an overcrowded space with one distinct leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to step down and bring in truly inspirational and innovative leaders that know how to drive a company forward and keep people happy. Obviously based on what others have said here, you are not doing a good job.

Revel is undervalued like most of the POS industry

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThis company is worth a lot and the faster people understand that the faster people will realize what the founders are doing. I wonder if any of the bad reviews came from people that got fired? I have a lot of respect for the founders and what they have pulled off is amazing! With square taking a dive in the press Revel is finally coming into the light even more. I noticed the buzz around the office is building into something amazing. People are saying the three letter word a lot more (IPO). In our last company meeting the founders said they are taking Revel to IPO. I believe they will do it to.

ConsOnly lunch Monday, Wednesday Friday, they should have it every day catered.
    Lots of work but I guess I am not here for vacation
    Some times have to work on the weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and keep hiring good people we need them.

Revel Systems CTO Co Founder responded to this review

Jun 11, 2014

You are right about Revel the buzz around the office as Revel is heading to new heights bigger and brighter then before! I hope everyone has their ears wide open since there is a lot going on and ... More

Stellar

Operations Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsIncredible product with unique angle on market

Unlimited opportunity for increased responsibility and growth

Management is accessible and encourages employees to innovate and create change

ConsThe company has grown faster than certain systems, so there's a lot of work to be done! But that's the reason I love being here. The opportunity to build and create what didn't previously exist.

Immature and dishonest leaders will lead to demise

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe people who work there are smart and motivated.

ConsZERO opportunity for personal growth. Management has no ability to think of the big picture, they lack any business sense, and will lead to the company's demise. Knowing how the leaders encourage their staff to create fake LinkedIn profiles of employees has me to believe most of the positive reviews on Glassdoor are real. Turnover recently has been astronomical lately because they do not value the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down and let a business minded individual take the company to the next level.

Operations

Operations (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExtremely grateful for getting this position. After working in the banking industry I see what the cool factor in tech is. Unlimited PTO, work from home, stock options, catered meals and health benefits are some of the biggest perks I have experienced so far. Having a super cool manager and coworkers compound that. This is a successful and growing company that allows you to speak out and make decisions on things that are usually made on your behalf in other companies. Also located at a great downtown location. This company is growing at a fast rate with a solid outlook.

ConsWorking in operations I had first hand knowledge of the issues the company was facing, which was that the program was buggy. Within a few short months Revel hired more QA and developers which released consecutive builds within a short time that made this program clean. This group is now building upon the software to include more perks and useful material for the customer.

Working for a new company requires the employee to be really good. The resulting turnover for the sales team was high for awhile due to this. Currently there is a new Sales Manager that is bringing stability by hiring great people and coaching them appropriately which in turn is increasing revenue for the company. Keep it up!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the job environment fun! - Which it is - Giants game on Friday!

Revel Systems CTO Co Founder responded to this review

Jun 11, 2014

We are pleased that we have so humble employees and that you like our unlimited PTO plan and options. At Revel we try to have a great environment where employees can grow and prosper. We are over ... More

An Evolving Business

(Current Employee)

Pros- Plenty of challenges. I very rarely have a chance to get bored as I have to switch gears quite often.
    - Fantastic coworkers as I really enjoy working with my team.
    - Good benefits such as medical, dental, vision, life, catered food, etc.
    - A product I can talk about without being embarrassed or having to bend on my morals. I really like technology, I truly believe we have a good product that we are still investing in, and we are focusing hard on customer experience. I'm a huge believer in good customer service so I really feel well about our direction.
    - Training for all new hires in the product from a support standpoint. Everyone that works here must know at least the basics of the product.

Cons- Growing pains as we progress from a start-up to a more seasoned company.
    - Some issues with management over time. There have been a couple problems here and there, but this happens as the company grows. I can say that when problems are discovered, solutions are found.
    - We are generally on the low-end to average for salaries, depending on the specific position though benefits and options help mitigate this situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees, customers, and the industry direction. While we have had some amazing success, this industry is rapidly evolving and we don't want to be left behind. In addition, continue to invest in our employees. We've really stepped up on the customer support experience and we need to be sure we make a similar investment in our personnel.

Worked for Revel Systems? Contribute to the Community!