Rent-A-Center

Updated 4 September, 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Stepping Stone

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Easy work, Overtime, Hourly managers, Monthly Bonuses

Cons

Pay gap between assistant managers, sales managers, and district managers is huge.

Pay more and you'll get better talent.

Stockholm syndrome. (Assistant Manager, former COE Store Manager)

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great experience with customer service, guaranteed overtime (where the real bacon was brought home) and an excellent employee purchase program. You will learn to hone your skills in entry consumer sales, merchandise service and resolution of customer discrepancies.

Cons

Store level business focus is no longer about matching the merchandise to the customer, but about how high you can raise your APU (average price per unit). This company used to truly create an atmosphere where the merchandise would sell itself as ground breaking and cutting edge, where as now you focus on how deep can you get into the customer's pocket while selling the American dream.

At times where there was actual potential for a life long career with visions of long term goals, the mantra now states, "what can you do for me today". Bipolar management makes you unsure as far as what your goal is for the day, until you get the emails from the regional director and the additional snippet from the district manager who directly correlate numbers and effort together. Imagine the " if wishes were fishes " mentality.

They have recently cut hours across the hourly board in the name of "more time with the family" when in fact your stock has dropped off the charts and we needed to save ≈$21M. I can live with the cut but don't tell me an orange is an apple by shaving a half hour of each morning and cutting meal period in half.

When they say RAC is your life's work, they mean it. The only guaranteed off day is Sunday on account of the storefronts being closed (for now). You get the feeling of compassion for those who even attempt to blacklist you to start here (is. Stockholm Syndrome)

Legitimate interpersonal leaders are a must in this industry and Ernie Talley is rolling in his grave at the management and (lack of) true leadership in the districts and regions across the company. Make a long term relationship with your employees by considering some intangibles (employee development for starters) before promoting to District Manager and above. Don't falter at one days hiccup but rather try not to deviate from long term goals over losing 3 bor on a Wednesday, per se.

Good job

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Pay is good and lots of opportunity for growth!

Cons

Hours/ working 6 days a week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to learn.

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I learned the business both what to do and what not to do.

Cons

Out of touch upper management will continue to force the company to struggle when it shouldn't have to.

Now that I own my own RTO business I would say keep doing what you are doing and my business will continue to grow.

Good honest company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Covington, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Covington, LA (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I see lots of promotions from within that are merit based, and Store Managers have the autonomy to grow the business and profitability of their stores, which increases bonus dollars. Their employee purchase program is a nice perk, where Coworkers can purchase brand new merchandise at cost.

Cons

Long shift hours, no consecutive days off, hard sometimes to deal with the customer base, which is, to put it mildly, the lower to lowest tier of the educational and socio economic ladder.

Better balance of quality of life; occasional weekend off would go a LONG way.

A great place to work with excellent pay and benefits

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  New Philadelphia, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New Philadelphia, OH (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good entry-level start out pay with paid holidays. Sundays off. There is plenty of room for advancement and/or promotion.

Cons

Not a real "family friendly" company, the minimum 48+ hours a week leaves very little time for family. You sometimes fell like you are harassing customers because of the requirement to call them on the day they are due.

customers are NOT a 5.9/2.9! They have names and familys that deserve respect.

management

Former Employee - Senior Tax Specialist  in  West Orange, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Specialist in West Orange, NJ (US)

I worked at Rent-A-Center as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

excellent work environment and compensation

Cons

seasonal job wish the job was yearlong

It's a Numbers Game and you have to be "IN" with your Boss

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, You get to know your customer VERY WELL!!! Your Employees Can be a Blast!

Cons

Company is not living is Motto at all. Communication is a lack thereof. Expect not to see your Family! Seriously!!! With the Exception of Sunday!!!

Instead of Barking Rules, get down and Dirty! Especially the RD's & VP's who havent ran a Store in 5-8 Plus years! Things have Changed, they are not how they used to be. Have an open ear and listen to your employees at times.

Business Management 101 ( Get Paid to Learn)

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is diverse and rewarding. The training you receive is an invaluable resource that will help you succeed for the rest of your career in any business. Stores average 5 to 7 employees so the atmosphere is like having a second family. It's all around awesome.

Cons

Not very flexible with time off. The needs of the company seem to come before the needs of the employees sometimes. And count on working Saturdays

Give the little guys more incentive to be the best. The store managers have something to compete for, but the success of any store is without a doubt a team accomplishment.

Terrible

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Money is ok benefits are ok no time to spend with your family low pay for what is expected

Cons

No work life balance district managers and regional directors are out of touch working with intimidation and fear tactics daily .

Promote from within actually talk to your people that want to advance , take some control away from the rd don't need to work off of fear

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!