Regis Corporation

Updated 14 December, 2014
2.3

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan
Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place for a new graduate out of cosmetology to start (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher (in 23 reviews)

• No one in upper management besides my DL could be bothered to care (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Deceitful about wages

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Regis Corporation part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It gives some experience, the training was very educational and the instructor was great! If she would have been my boss I would have stayed!

Cons

You do not get a percentage of your services until you pass the minimum wage cap which ends up being over $25 in services per hour, which you have to maintain every time you work. Some employees allow home life to disrupt work and made for an extremely uncomfortable work environment.

The Road from Proud to Discontented

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation

Pros

Friendly people, work/life balance, food stocked kitchens, free coffee, Minnesota spring, summer and fall. If you are interested in settling for complacency without any opportunity for career growth, this is your organization.

Cons

Minnesota winters...seriously...the last 6+ yrs have been extremely frustrating with multiple reorganization efforts, change in leadership, too many lay offs to count both at Salon Support and in the field. For as long as I can remember, leadership has been talking about turning Regis into an Employer of Choice...I have come to learn that this is just what it has been....talk only. There is absolutely no career track in corporate and in fact, nearly all promotional opportunities are extended to outsiders...There seems to be a general philosophy to ignore talent within while filing new opportunities with talent from the outside. Keeping in mind that the "outside" really means who you know...Upper management is bringing in their own people. There is talent at corporate who are not taken seriously. Thus, many experienced, well educated and deserving employees have voluntarily taken their skills elsewhere. Kudos to them.

Take stock in your employees. Give them credit for what they do and what they know. An occasional lunch outing is great, but does not replace any opportunity to be challenged and grow.

Doesn't really recognize employee experience

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Pleasant Hills, PA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A nice, creative environment, and the co-workers are great on a salon level. Hours are flexible and salon managers are often promoted from within.

Cons

Pay is pretty low, which wouldn't be too bad if tips were good. However, you really have to rely on a busy salon, which most aren't busy enough to make great tips, and therefore you have to build a great clientele to make money. Also, in later years, the company sells to value their employees less, and make the stylists do more for less money.

Have more incentives to keep stylists happy-it really translate to more profit for the company. Also, offer more than a potential 35 cent raise a year- it takes more than three years just to make a dollar more.

Former Management

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Panama City, FL (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Place to start out

Cons

The pay rate is not the best

Unfair management, always working weekends, unappreciated, low pay, terrible business ethics

Current Employee - Stylist in Watsonville, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Stylist in Watsonville, CA (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time

Pros

There is nothing that comes to mind.

Cons

Lets start off with management because thats one of the biggest problems with this corporation, the management here is so shady ive worked in 7 different stores all but one was the manager pleasant to work for. I often felt as though there was so much tension between hair stylist and managers that even the customers would feel uncomfortable there , it results in hairstylist building clientele as fast as they can and leaving to a better work environment.
    Also understand working here means no weekends off ever unless you are the manager or friends with the manager, this also adds to a hostile work environment.
    Then the pay... the numbers are ridiculous of revenue collected in a month at most stores they can afford to pay more then minimum but this company does not care about the stylist so they pay you as low as your state will allow ,if Supercuts had it their way they would be paying you in beans. Sure you get tips, but because of the clientele the Supercuts draws in because if its chinsy demeanor you often get stiffed. And the "sliding pay scale" thats a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. No one I have ever met has slid a substantial amount the most ive ever heard was 30 cents.

Care for your stylist, they are the core of this operation.

Loyal to themselves

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule - That's about it

Cons

Goals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Get in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

Lots of room for improvement if Upper Management would just LISTEN!!

Current Employee - Stylist (Former Manager)
    Current Employee - Stylist (Former Manager)

I have been working at Regis Corporation (more than 8 years)

Pros

High traffic, great guests, supplies equipment

Cons

Low commission pay scale, under staffed, working alone, turning away business due to lack of help, high turn over, poor management, favoritism, no floor mats (which is a big deal!), unfair scheduling, no education for new stylists, poor communication, no appointments for Senior/Master Stylists (guest complaints) and lack of open door policy

Open up the lines of communication and listen to your managers and stylists. There are so many simple and common sense ideas we have that can help fix the lack of profit. Walk In Only Salons need new innovative ideas to help maintain our guest counts like master stylists booking appointments while newer staff gains clientel by taking walk ins.

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Southern Pines, NC (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Busy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

Cons

Pay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

To Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Great employees and fun place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN (US)

I have been working at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and fun place to work. Plus free lunch and great snack days.

Cons

Pay is low. Benefits cost a lot. No 401K match

Add 401K, add other perks

District Leader

Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - District Leader in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Regis Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked closely and made positive impact in my staff and vice versa.

Cons

Corporate has little understanding of how field operations work. They expect fuels leadership to do hair AND "run" up to 8 managers. Read their recent "earnings call" transcripts and you'll realize they have little understanding how to deliver a best in class experience to anyone but their corporate salaries.

Get out of Illinois and the northern states when you do field research. Creating new positions for million dollar salary heads is NOT going to turn your earnings call in a new direction. You recently castrated your field leadership by expecting them to lead multiple units while maintaining the production standards if a high producing stylist. Very interesting concept since no one up in Edina has worked a single hour behind the chair much less know how to do hair. Yet you laid off all your non-technical field leadership. Hmmm, hypocrites maybe?

Regis Corporation Photos