Regis Corporation

www.regiscorp.com

Regis Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
Regis Corporation – Scottsdale – “Pretty Basic”

Regis Corporation CEO Daniel J. Hanrahan

Daniel J. Hanrahan

Pros
  • Great culture with an emphasis on work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• paid vacation, although it's minimum wage it's better than nothing(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The lack of communication to the level 1 teams from upper management sure didn't help(in 20 reviews)

• I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher(in 18 reviews)

Former Management

Salon Manager (Current Employee) Panama City, FL (US)

ProsGood Place to start out

ConsThe pay rate is not the best

Unfair management, always working weekends, unappreciated, low pay, terrible business ethics

Stylist (Current Employee) Watsonville, CA (US)

ProsThere is nothing that comes to mind.

ConsLets start off with management because thats one of the biggest problems with this corporation, the management here is so shady ive worked in 7 different stores all but one was the manager pleasant to work for. I often felt as though there was so much tension between hair stylist and managers that even the customers would feel uncomfortable there , it results in hairstylist building clientele as fast as they can and leaving to a better work environment.
    Also understand working here means no weekends off ever unless you are the manager or friends with the manager, this also adds to a hostile work environment.
    Then the pay... the numbers are ridiculous of revenue collected in a month at most stores they can afford to pay more then minimum but this company does not care about the stylist so they pay you as low as your state will allow ,if Supercuts had it their way they would be paying you in beans. Sure you get tips, but because of the clientele the Supercuts draws in because if its chinsy demeanor you often get stiffed. And the "sliding pay scale" thats a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. No one I have ever met has slid a substantial amount the most ive ever heard was 30 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for your stylist, they are the core of this operation.

Loyal to themselves

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFlexible schedule - That's about it

ConsGoals are unrealistic, no regard for experience, ivory tower mentality, nonsensical beliefs and objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the reality. Treat your employees fair - they work with your customers every day - your customers are not loyal to the name on the front of the building - they are loyal to the person doing their hair and will not tolerate poor execution or service - Sad to see what a mess you have made -

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

could be a great place to work because we have the customers

Hair Stylist (Current Employee) Southern Pines, NC (US)

ProsBusy Salon. My salon manager is great. I love my customers. My coworkers are cool.

ConsPay is very low, Cant use floor mats due to lawsuit, can only use their Regis Brand hair products on back bar, Cheap continuing education classes. Nothing modern. Run down salon with crappy ceilings, floors, booths. Lights are always burnt out, flies everywhere. Matrix color is terrible, sinks are broken...Corporate needs to remodel our salon before other salons push us out because there is money to be made there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Corporate: Please stop treating us like infants

Lots of room for improvement if Upper Management would just LISTEN!!

Stylist (Former Manager) (Current Employee)

ProsHigh traffic, great guests, supplies equipment

ConsLow commission pay scale, under staffed, working alone, turning away business due to lack of help, high turn over, poor management, favoritism, no floor mats (which is a big deal!), unfair scheduling, no education for new stylists, poor communication, no appointments for Senior/Master Stylists (guest complaints) and lack of open door policy

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the lines of communication and listen to your managers and stylists. There are so many simple and common sense ideas we have that can help fix the lack of profit. Walk In Only Salons need new innovative ideas to help maintain our guest counts like master stylists booking appointments while newer staff gains clientel by taking walk ins.

District Leader

District Leader (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsWorked closely and made positive impact in my staff and vice versa.

ConsCorporate has little understanding of how field operations work. They expect fuels leadership to do hair AND "run" up to 8 managers. Read their recent "earnings call" transcripts and you'll realize they have little understanding how to deliver a best in class experience to anyone but their corporate salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of Illinois and the northern states when you do field research. Creating new positions for million dollar salary heads is NOT going to turn your earnings call in a new direction. You recently castrated your field leadership by expecting them to lead multiple units while maintaining the production standards if a high producing stylist. Very interesting concept since no one up in Edina has worked a single hour behind the chair much less know how to do hair. Yet you laid off all your non-technical field leadership. Hmmm, hypocrites maybe?

Company has potential, but doesn't invest enough in front-line employees

ProsMany salons will hire you with little experience, which is a great way to get into the cosmetology industry, because many private salons will not even give you a chance. For Smart Style salons, the walk-in traffic you have access to is wonderful for those who do not have an established clientele.

ConsThe amount of pay you receive is laughable for an adult that has taken the time to go to school for a cosmetology license. The wage is hourly minimum wage or commission percentage of services, which ever is greater at the end of the pay period. Commission starts low at 38%. You do have the opportunity to earn more ( I received a 5% raise after meeting a particular amount of sales standards), but since many stores don't allow their employees to be true full-time employees (35-40 hrs), you still end up making a very low wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay stylists what they are worth. They are on the front lines directly facing your customers and without them, you wouldn't have a company. This would prevent the massive amount of turn over the company experiences, making for a much more stable business. The customers can sense the instability very well.

Flexible hours but pay sucks

Cosmetologist (Current Employee) Colonial Heights, VA (US)

ProsI like my job but cannot afford much with the pay I make. Health insurance cost too much for what we make in pay. Health insurance doesn't pay out much either. Benefits include 401 K but no matching. Regis stock they match but if you take them up on all the benefits you dont even get enough money on your check to survive.

ConsPay sucks! Lots of drama between coworkers. No organization. Incentive programs that really don't motivate you. Morale is down.I dislike making minimum wage or commission whichever is higher.plus any tips you get taxes come out of your check on them and then after benefits you have like a 200.00-300.00 dollar paycheck every 2 weeks. It doesnt even cover my rent.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

They're trying really hard...

Several Positions In Several Departments (Current Employee) Edina, MN (US)

ProsThis review is for the corporate office, Salon Support, in Minnesota.
    Regis has been in a state of flux for about 3 years now. We have had 3 CEOs, 2 CFOs, a few COOs, two restructures of the entire salon and field operation, 2 large lay-offs, a false start on developing a field HR structure, and a complete re-do of our salon technology. But the company is now starting to tread water a little bit. They realized that all the change was incredibly stressful, and are now really taking into consideration the effects of all this change on the employees. Executive management genuinely seems to care about the employees. Regis traditionally had a very, very cynical attitude toward people, including customers (now called guests) and employees. That is turning around, and it's by far the greatest improvement I've seen in the past several years. I feel heard by the C-Suite and, as someone who deals very frequently with the field and salons, I know that I can be their voice and they will at least be considered.

The culture at Salon Support is friendly and casual. It's like a family. We have quarterly meetings with the CEO and his executive team where he gives an honest overview of the state of the company. The bosses all have an open door policy, and nobody is scared of being fired or disciplined for speaking their mind. Ideas are at least considered.

Regis is a great place to learn. The recruiters and managers do a great job of hiring a diverse bunch of experienced professionals and folks just getting their feet wet. There are no stupid questions, and nobody gets disciplined for disagreeing with management.

In most departments, schedules are flexible, time off requests are granted, etc. Most managers don't sweat being late or early, as long as the work gets done. Overtime is almost always granted as long as it's needed. Work-life balance isn't something you hear a lot about at Regis, because coming to work really is like going to hang out with friends while you happen to be working. That said, work-life balance as a Regis employee is fine. No complaints here.

Free lunches! There are well-stocked refrigerators with lunch meat, hummus, dressing, salad, greens, veggies, and often little surprises. It's not gourmet food, but it's nutritious. And free. The kitchens also have stocked pantries, toasters, microwaves, toaster ovens, and blenders.

There are lots of little perks like catered meetings, two huge parties (one in the summer and one in the winter), and the CEO will occasionally surprise us by calling an ice cream truck to give everyone free ice cream or arranging food trucks to park in the lot and Regis foots the bill. Last winter when the temperatures were in the negative thirties, a local auto mechanic shop was hired to patrol the parking lot and help anyone with car trouble. It's little things like that that make a huge difference.

Regis raises millions of dollars every year for breast cancer research. As a company whose main clientele is women and a huge majority of whose employees are women, this is a really big deal every year.

ConsSales are down. That means so is pay. Salaries don't keep up with the market. There's a 401(k) plan on paper, but there's no matching from the company. Profit sharing is nonexistent. Health insurance premiums are high, and they don't cover much. Benefits also don't cover things a lot of companies do, like fitness club reimbursements. We have been promised more lucrative pay once sales pick up, but that won't be for the next couple of years.

Sometimes corporate homogeneity trumps creativity. That can be really frustrating for creative types.

All the changes from 2012-2013 really shook people up. Morale isn't where it could be, and there are a lot of people who haven't gotten over the legitimate trauma of having a third of the workforce laid off. Things are picking up, but there is still a palpable sadness in the air sometimes.

As a monolithic company that's been running lean for a couple of years, the people on the bottom rungs of the ladder (the people who also happen to be the ones selling our products and services and actually making money for the company) often don't know who to turn to when they need help. Communication from Salon Support doesn't trickle down to the salon staff like it should, and the leanness in field management and at Salon Support means that those of us who are meant to support the salon employees are stretched too thin to give stellar service to them. That's very regrettable.

Because the Regis Old Guard wasn't really into people development (we didn't have an HR department until 2012, and didn't have a head of HR until December, 2013), there aren't a lot of lower-level employees fit for promotion. That means the new guard has had to recruit externally or rely on job changes of people already in management and professional level positions to fill those roles. That has left a lot of bottom-rung corporate employees feeling stuck and burnt out and not seeing any promotions on the horizon. That's caused a not insignificant number of people to leave for other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up staffing just a bit. Most departments could do with one or two more people to make them run efficiently.

Regis has always been behind the times in operations and technology. Stop relying on "best practices" and technology that was cutting edge a few years ago. Even the newest upgrades and practices are dated. You run a world class company. Start innovating instead of following.

Start investing in company culture, diversity, and talent and stop looking at that sort of thing as a luxury that you can't afford. It's going to be the only way to turn the company around.

Salon Manager

Salon Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, walk-in's, 3 weeks paid vacation higher because I was a manager

Consno follow thru with anything, Area supervisor was of NO HELP!!! , no training for my staff fell to manager to train, no receptionist which took my staff away from their clients, bad pay for my new staff (7.25 who can live on this?)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your salon mangers they live and breath this everyday!! They are your bread and butter and who makes your salon money!!!

Worked for Regis Corporation? Contribute to the Community!