Reed Elsevier Group

Reed Elsevier Group Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Reed Elsevier Group CEO and Director; CEO, Reed Elsevier PLC, Reed Elsevier NV, Elsevier Division Erik Engstrom

Erik Engstrom

Pros:
  • "ownership, freedom to work compared to other competition companies,work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great benefits, work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communication between senior management and the its' reporting teams is not always optimal"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Poor strategy and execution of off shoring and outsourcing leads to loss of talent, poorer customer service and inefficiency"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Simply Neutral

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsA good work and life balance

ConsDissatisfied salary level compared with other companies in the industry.
Sometimes more talk than work.
Product launching is sometimes not very pragmatic.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter salary level
Being more pragmatic when launching new products.

Large company that is trying to break out of its traditional publishing mentality into a fast-moving data provider.

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsThe company has a big footprint in many markets and is moving toward some new and exciting technologies/products. It is trying to promote cross fertilisation across its many businesses so there is often an opportunity to work in a completely new field if it is of interest to you. Also, the overall work/life balance is strong.

ConsThe corporate functions are generally quite removed from the day-to-day activities of the many businesses it owns. This means that it often acts more like an investment management firm rather than a head of a unified company. The CEO is very distant and culture/leadership from the top is not strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to better integrate the group, creating an environment where corp managers are eager to engage you and offer innovative ideas. This will also increase communication, making it less necessary for us to provide you with the great amount of data you require which burdens the businesses more than previous CEOs.

Nice place to work, can be challenging for an American to get ahead

Technology (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsGreat work life balance, they understand that employees have lives and the goal is to do your job not just show up in a specific location.

It is a truly global organization so the opportunity to interact meaningfully with a wide range of people is very real.

ConsElsevier can be very euro-centric in how people are promoted and treated. When I was there it was much more common for Europeans to be promoted into senior U.S. based positions than the opposite. It came across as a glass ceiling for Americans.

Getting things done can be tedious. There are layers of internal departments who main function appears to be form completion and project delay. This is common to many large organizations so it's not a unique problem. It did get worse over time though as more MBAs entered the business.

productive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA (US)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsSome excellent talented people work there. Independence to excel if you know what you want to accomplish

Conslack of training (if that is required)
highly political to the point of being ineffectual

Advice to Senior Managementlook up the facts yourself and don't let perception and the views of a few incompetents influence decision making and strategy

Good

Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Prosgood health benefits for all employees and family

Conssenior management is inconsistent and makes snap decisions

Advice to Senior Managementneed to be more proactive and reward good talent

Poor comminication and decisions from Senior managemnt

Windows Systems Administrator L3 (Former Employee)
Oxford, England (UK)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsSalary was OK if you worked overtime. Team I worked in was good and we were able to attend some training.

ConsBad decisions and complete lack of communication from senior management. So poor that the directors outsourced devisions to an Indian company. No thought of employee welfare what so ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Constant shifting coupled with no real change

New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsGenerally treats its employees well. Time off, working flexibility are good, pensions, benefit were good but have been getting worse. Work life can be very pleasant and measured, all the usual trappings of a company their size.

ConsNo-one's heard of the company. People know the brands but expect to explain how to pronounce Reed Elsevier (reed el-severe) let alone what they do. It seems like change happens at a glacial place. Management has been turned over several times in the last 2yrs, this, coupled with the downturn, has led to continued product stagnation and a general lack of overall direction. They've been steadying the ship but don't have a rudder or any wind the sails.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet some direction, communicate it, to the employees and to the market stick to it.

Good place to work but below average pay and ot adjusting to changes to their market well

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsFair treatment of employees, transparent policies, mgt. pretty good. They are recently becoming good at allowing movement to parts of the company but that is only recent. Finally, they are fair, in general, to employees, with some notable exceptions like every company has.

ConsNot reacting well to changes or attacks on their industry of information services and, as a result, not keepign up with internal and external changes in the industry. Need a dose of newew management that cares about changing with the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do the actual job of a sales rep for a week in terms of barriers internally to sales and you will understand how bad that needs to be fixed. Do more to fix employee salary problems for employees to increase retention.

Pleasant internal working environment but sometimes strained relationships with customers were unpleasant to deal with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Reed Elsevier Group

ProsGood work/life balance, excellent benefits and supportive colleagues, plus opportunities to work outside the UK

ConsCompany's excessive pricing policy in the past and ill-considered outsourcing (causing lower standards) has lowered reputation with more traditional customers

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving been seen to leave 'premiership' paper publishing to rivals such as OUP, developing successful electronic business model is essential.

Very good work life balance

Senior Editor (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Reed Elsevier Group

Proswork life balance is extremely good in my area anyway, my managers are very approachable, the company is relatively well resourced.

Conshard to get anything done, some of the people in my area are quite cliquey and hard to get to know, I'm on a maternity contract and there is therefore little job security. I also don't really know if the job is as challenging or as interesting as initially "sold" in the interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm quite happy with the way things are run by management. Most of the managers I have worked with are quite approachable and easygoing, although I do find it hard to get clear, consistent answers at times.

Worked for Reed Elsevier Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Reed Elsevier Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Reed Elsevier Group CEO Erik Engstrom. All 71 reviews are posted anonymously by Reed Elsevier Group employees.