Redbox

Redbox Reviews

Updated 29 January, 2015
Updated 29 January, 2015

Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance (in 9 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The Worst Company I ever worked for!!

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to watch the movies for free.

Cons

Everything about the way this company is managed is awful!!

The way you treat your employees is bad business.

Lack of engagement

Former Employee - Regional Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Regional Operations Supervisor

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, above average benefits, mostly good people. Work life balance is okay, sometimes shaky. The ability to work from home.

Cons

A lot. I really don't see how this part of the company will last. Upper management never makes it feel like they understand what the field has to endure. There is constant resentment of the corporate office and nothing is done to change it. The expectation of them saying jump and us saying how high is not the way to run this business. I also did not care for my final supervisor, who seemed to barely have a grasp on the English language and also used defamatory terms.

You have values that mean nothing. Do any of you at the director level exhibit humility? Respect? I think the only value you cared about was dedication, but even that is questionable.

A terrific idea that upper management tries to continue to squeeze.

Current Employee - Manager, Technology in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager, Technology in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A fantastic crew of people, smart and dedicated to the goal. The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance.

Cons

Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

FSR1

I worked at Redbox

Pros

vacation, benefits and 401k plan

Cons

work in all kinds of elements and time constraints

Was a fantastic place when it was redbox and a startup.

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Super smart and talented redbox team and leaders. Phenomenal startup experience and learning. Real impact, real change, real growth.

Cons

Coinstar. Coinstar. Coinstar. The management at Coinstar shat the bed and tanked the business. They have no idea how to lead an entertainment company, and have sucked the life out of redbox to keep coin counting machines afloat.

To redbox: Keep your head up.

To Coinstar: Fire yourself and let redbox be free.

Was a great company....

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very generous compensation. Great benefits. Great feild employees

Cons

Corporate has no idea what field employees are put through. They are given more and more work but no more hours to get it done. Field managers and RM's under a great deal to do magic. If not no matter how long you have been there they are willing to kick you to the curb! Very sad.

Treat your field employees like you value them. Let the Regional Managers manage their own style. Not everyone manages by intimidation.

New experiences everyday.

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Flexible, New Experiences everyday, Cheap DVD Rentals, A car if you are an FSR2 or higher.

Cons

Pay, Corporate keeps changing SOPs, Metrics, Work Life Balance

Take advice from field operations personnel about daily operations pros/cons.

Call Center

I worked at Redbox full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The training was fairly good.

Cons

How the call center is operated. Had to raise a flag for help and go to the washroom.

Get rid of having to raise a flag for help! Have enough people on the floor to efficiently answer questions.

Field Support Rep II

Former Employee - Field Service Representative Level II
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative Level II

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

get to watch movies first and for free. dress code, very relaxed. good benefits (i.e medical, dental....)

Cons

Way too Micro Managed! Corporate has no idea what goes on or what it takes to run the field ops. Has no clue how or what it takes to maintain kiosks in rural/remote areas. Lots of travel (1,000+ miles) a week, yes a WEEK! Winter time can be brutal. Working on outdoor kiosks in -20 degree weather.

Can't evaluate all techs with one generic "cookie cutter" metrics. Remote/Rural techs travel hundreds of miles and only able to get to a few machines while "in city" techs can get to 10+ machines in the same amount of time. Then during review remote techs are told they haven't done enough. Also management needs to understand that kiosks are not "just down at the end of hall and turn right at the water cooler", some of them are in very remote locations and someone has to go to them.

Great people, casual environment...absentee management that renegs on stated values...useful as a stepping-stone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation package. Great teamwork (within each impenetrable silo). Willing to invest in latest technologies and spend cash like crazy. People walking around in flip-flops if that's important to you. Most people below director level are good, honest and hard-working people. A good place to work if you aren't expecting long-term career growth.

Cons

Most unstable management I've seen in my career (two huge re-orgs and several other disruptive changes in 18 months).. Career advancement is almost impossible as growth has all but stopped and the old guard is too busy trying to preserve their kingdom. Director level and above mostly only looking out for themselves. Discontinued bonuses and layoffs for Christmas. When almost 100% of employees who have been around for several years are jaded and perpetually 'looking for new opportunities' - something's up.

Consider whether your 'let them eat cake' management is really in the best interest of the company or yourselves...