Redbox

www.redbox.com
Employer Engaged

Loved the people but exec management is poor

Former Employee - Fsr2 in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Fsr2 in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

most of the people are super smart, dedicated and creative.

Cons

exec management has had a lot of turnover.

figure it outr

Leaves a sore taste in your mouth

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Downers Grove, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

Horrible communication with employees. You would find out from a customer about a site wide issue before internally.

Started of great, ended up really bad.

Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talented group of software engineers. For the most part compensation was good. Raises were not the greatest, so be sure to get your money up front. Benefits were pretty good. Had more perks in the beginning, but as purse strings began to tighten, they went away.

Cons

Crappy upper management. Poor decision making when layoffs had to happen. No long term approach for dealing with the demise of DVD rentals.

Don't lay people off based on tenure. We aren't blue-collar workers.

Needs more direction from the top down.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively relaxed work environment with flexible work from home opportunities. Very good salaries and benefits for not being located in downtown Chicago.

Cons

Leadership often struggles with setting company direction. Some people that have been here for awhile are stuck in their ways and don't often give some new ideas a chance. Titles and positions in the company are often based on HR requirements and not always individual ability. Immense early success masked some of the inept management skills and now that it isn't as booming as it used to be, those issues are starting to become more noticeable.

Good new ideas a chance and at least allow for some POC time. Don't just blow them off because of what someone said about them years ago.

Wonderful, Diverse, Inclusive

Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Level I Machine Support Technician in Villa Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part about this job is the atmosphere. I've made many new friends who have common interests and I'm able to come to work dressed in comfortable clothing. Everyone including management is friendly. The job can get a little tedious and repetitive after a while, but there is always opportunity for training in new areas and the possibility of promotion. This is a great job to make decent money while going to school or working towards a better position. Great perks and great insurance.

Cons

Nothing so egregious it deserve complaint, overall a great place to work.

It was what is was

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Free beverages and dvds to rent.

Great, now bad

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

When I started: Excellent projects, smart people, great management who provided tools and gave support when needed

Cons

Now: no good projects and the smart people and great managers have left so no one to learn from

Either invest more or make cuts. Stop thinking.

Political Corporate

Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay, personal time off and benefits
    The people on your team are usually very good
    Most departments get along and cooperate to get the job done

Cons

There is no 5 year plan. Outerwall will bleed Redbox dry of cash until the disc and this company are no longer profitable.
    Sr. Management is out to cover themselves politically and cash in their bonuses and stock grants.
    Doesn't matter how well you do your job. You meet objectives yet still run out politically.

Look in the mirror and be honest with people. There will continue to be high turnover as they churn people through to try and save an aging soon to be obsolete technology. And try and get some better movies. How many VP and Directors do you need to purchase and market these titles.

Was a great place to work...

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very casual dress code, PTO policy, and benefits are good. Most co-workers are friendly and willing to help each other out.

Cons

Extremely low morale due to multiple rounds of recent lay offs/re-orgs and low bonus payouts. Increasing amount of people leaving the company with upper management not doing anything to address the issue. No solid direction from upper management who are also not in touch with lower levels of employees.

Upper management needs to figure out a direction for the company, boost morale, and find a way to reduce the rate of very talented people leaving the company every week.

Like being at high school

Current Contractor - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Current Contractor - Senior Financial Analyst in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I got a pay check

Cons

I have never, ever worked at a place where people completely ignore you like you are invisible. The people are completely immature and very unprofessional.

Break up the high school mentality and make your people act more professional or fire them and get more mature people.