Redbox Reviews

Updated 12 April, 2015
128 reviews filtered by
2.8
Mark Horak

Pros
  • The company has good benefits, Expect the yearly bonus to go away next year (in 15 reviews)

• The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management fails to follow through accessing machine failures and maintenance (in 9 reviews)

• This can cause serious wear and tear (in 3 reviews)

1. Innovative

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture. I didn't realize what that meant until I worked at a place that felt like family. I met some of the smartest and most talented people here.

Cons

Coinstar's ownership ruined it. Its not like what it used to be, and they gutted some very important departments that could've kept the unstoppable innovation going.

2. Regional Operations Supervisor

I worked at Redbox full-time

Pros

Progressive company that values employee engagement and interest. Management listens to the base level employees for suggestions and thoughts

Cons

Things are not discussed very freely from the top-levels downward. When decisions are made the rationale behind the decision is often kept quiet, causing confusion and distrust

Advice to Management

Develop a more transparent environment. Be careful of overreacting when decisions are made. rules may go from to loose to overly stringent, causing distrust.

FSR1

Current Employee - FSR1 in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - FSR1 in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Redbox started out in North TX really great. Real teamwork and excitement over building a new business. Lots of lasting friendships were made and everyone worked really hard to help grow the company. Upper mgmt actually listened to suggestions - since we were the ones actually doing the work and they were sitting in an office in Chicago. Benefits were great too.

Cons

About 2 yrs in, Coinstar bought them out and everything changed. Micro managing began and promises weren't kept. Trust was a thing of the past. Upper mgmt never worked in the field and therefore hadn't a clue what it was like. THEY determined how long it should take to service a machine and we in the field KNEW how inaccurate that was. Then they let a computer figure out our routes for us. We were doing just fine on our own. Anyway...... that was a long time ago and several other companies have bought them since then. I loved my job, but hated the impersonal atmosphere it took on. However, I lasted 7 years.

Advice to Management

This management is unknown to me, but they are probably similar to those who came before and they don't listen to advice. Only those managers in the very beginning took suggestions. Didn't always use them, but at least listened. They are somewhat successful, so who am I to try to offer advice. However, I'm sure the wheel will turn again and someone else will buy them out and the cycle will continue. Applicant beware!

With the change in management, the culture and overall feel of being valued has changed for the worst.

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

Good work life balance, competitive pay, free movie & game rentals, solid benefits. Really love the people that work there, a great team.

Cons

Leadership is very disconnected and vision & goals are constantly changing, making it difficult to feel passionate about the business and our individual roles.

Advice to Management

Morale is low because of unkept promises and constantly pivoting vision for the company. Consistency, follow-through and rewarding your best employees should help that.

6. good

Current Employee - FSR1 in Evansville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - FSR1 in Evansville, IN (US)

I have been working at Redbox

Pros

good job overall i like it

Cons

oakbrook terrace controls it all

good

the shrinking cash cow

Former Employee - Regional Operations Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Operations Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Work from home and good team members

Cons

Constant change. More work for same money or less hours.

Advice to Management

Squeezing too much....canot only get so much water from a rock.

FSR

Former Employee - FSR1
    Former Employee - FSR1

I worked at Redbox

Pros

I could watch all the new release movies a week before they were in the stores.

Cons

The planed routes and time allotted per machine was not realistic. My operatiarations manager was always dropping the ball leaving me in a lurch to pick up the slack. I was a fun at first but then Corprate started taking over.

Advice to Management

I proposed that Redbox should of started producing some of its own movie content but Corporate said spending money was out of the question. Spend some money or what Redbox did to BlockBuster is going to happen all over again.

9. A great place to work

Former Intern - Front-End Design in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)
    Former Intern - Front-End Design in Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Great Community, everyone there was very nice and talented
    -Paid internship
    -Got to work on many different projects, looked great on my resume
    -Free soda in the vending machines ;)

Cons

My only issue was the commute. You really need a car to work there. There are no sidewalks in the area, and public transportation is spotty at best. Can't blame the company for that though.

Advice to Management

There were a few times where my payment came a little late. This would have been a big issue if I needed the money to pay rent or something. To be honest this was probably because I was the first intern that they ever had.

Very shady management who make many excuses for not doing their job

Former Employee - Field Service Representative I
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative I

I worked at Redbox

Pros

Good pay and benefits., if you have no other job options.

Cons

In my interview I was either not told that I would be expected to be on-call. They expect you to be on-call to help out other team members, at all times every day of the year. This means that you could be called in the middle of the night or on your days off to go merchandise another team members kiosks or to help out the technicians by trying to get a kiosk up and running again.

Advice to Management

Let people know that you expect them to be on-call all the time. Also, take the time to train your employees thoroughly and not make excuses as to why you do not have the time to train the employee in all areas of the job that they need to know.

Redbox Response

Apr 01, 2015HumanResources

Redbox does not require Field Service Representatives to work on call hours, though there may be times where additional coverage is required (i.e. vacation coverage, etc…). These requests are ... More

Get Out Now. (Field Ops and others)

Current Employee - Regional Supervisor
    Current Employee - Regional Supervisor

I have been working at Redbox full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok for this size company. Dress is casual almost too much, some of the clothing choices for management has a lot to be desired. Vacation is standard or above. Field Reps/the people in the trenches and some @ OBT. A lot of props need to go out to individuals and departments that are trying their best to bring a thriving culture to a dying technology.

Cons

Where dose one start?
    A lot has already been said of the decline. However, all “corporations” grow/cultivate-farm/harvest and fallow then repeat. This is cyclical of all business models and redbox is no different.

With proper leadership and direction these cycles can continue for lifetimes; without it death. In this case a slow and painful one.

The real problems are threefold. First, Coinstar/Outerwall is a poorly run company who’s stock is nowhere without redbox. Just take a look at the LOB (line of business disasters). Secondly, is redbox’s inability to acquire and maintain proper leadership? Thirdly is the most traumatic, middle to upper management. *There are countless VP’s, Directors, and Regionals that really need to be trimmed down and replaced. Not that they are not kind, nice, or even funny people who can do a job, but the model that made redbox is long gone and attrition along with fresh perspectives are needed to guide this listing barge into its sunset; so maybe people can feel better about what they are doing and why. Instead of NOT talking about the 1000 pound elephant in the room.

Preservation mode is rampant. Backstabbing is at an all time high. And contingency plans are in place. If redbox is not sold or restructured it will not be here in six months let along six years. Yet, cutbacks and bean counting are taking place in the field not at Corporate, smells bad to the naked nose. One round has trounced a large percentage of lower management in the release of ROS’ and few RM’s in 2014. Canada has just shut down. Now think, “What is to come?”

Just as most things that take the path of least resistance the low hanging fruit is all but plucked. Be forewarned my dear reader, and take heed. Do not climb aboard this barge of hot garbage on fire listing and floating away from the pier of success. For those of us still here it’s not that bad or is it? As the tale goes of the hound dog hollering on the porch: “Why kind Sir does your dog whine with such vigor while just laying on the porch?” “Well that’s easy, he is laying on a sharp nail.” “My Goodness! Why doesn’t he just move?” “Well, I recon, it don’t hurt that bad.”

Advice to Management

The heck with management (*see above under cons). A final note to the reader of this quaint diatribe. If looking for a resume padder or a place to learn a couple of things in the short term go for it. For us here learn what you can before your move on or are force to.