Redbox

Redbox Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014
Redbox – “Fun cubicle”

Mark Horak

Pros:
  • "The company offers great benefits in the form of medical , dental & vacations"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Corporate has no idea what field employees are put through"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

FSR2

FSR2 (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than a year

Prosgood benefits and vacation time

Conscompany is always changing policies and procedures

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Lack of engagement

Regional Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive pay, above average benefits, mostly good people. Work life balance is okay, sometimes shaky. The ability to work from home.

ConsA lot. I really don't see how this part of the company will last. Upper management never makes it feel like they understand what the field has to endure. There is constant resentment of the corporate office and nothing is done to change it. The expectation of them saying jump and us saying how high is not the way to run this business. I also did not care for my final supervisor, who seemed to barely have a grasp on the English language and also used defamatory terms.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have values that mean nothing. Do any of you at the director level exhibit humility? Respect? I think the only value you cared about was dedication, but even that is questionable.

Good place to pursue a great career

Middle Management (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere may be times you need to work more, but we value work life balance. Great benefits. smart and dedicated peers. offers new oppurtunities, internal career growth is immense.

Conswork in all kinds of elements and time constraints, Middle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A terrific idea that upper management tries to continue to squeeze.

Manager, Technology (Current Employee)
Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than a year

ProsA fantastic crew of people, smart and dedicated to the goal. The first place I worked at that allowed me to have a work/life balance.

ConsMiddle and Upper management unsure of how to execute and what new ideas to pursue. No idea how to deflect Netflix and streaming offerings in general. Continually starting and stopping new business as if they never tested the idea in market.

FSR1

Prosvacation, benefits and 401k plan

Conswork in all kinds of elements and time constraints

Call Center

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for less than a year

ProsThe training was fairly good.

ConsHow the call center is operated. Had to raise a flag for help and go to the washroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of having to raise a flag for help! Have enough people on the floor to efficiently answer questions.

Was a fantastic place when it was redbox and a startup.

I worked at Redbox

ProsSuper smart and talented redbox team and leaders. Phenomenal startup experience and learning. Real impact, real change, real growth.

ConsCoinstar. Coinstar. Coinstar. The management at Coinstar shat the bed and tanked the business. They have no idea how to lead an entertainment company, and have sucked the life out of redbox to keep coin counting machines afloat.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo redbox: Keep your head up.

To Coinstar: Fire yourself and let redbox be free.

Field Support Rep II

Field Service Representative Level II (Former Employee)

I worked at Redbox full-time for more than 3 years

Prosget to watch movies first and for free. dress code, very relaxed. good benefits (i.e medical, dental....)

ConsWay too Micro Managed! Corporate has no idea what goes on or what it takes to run the field ops. Has no clue how or what it takes to maintain kiosks in rural/remote areas. Lots of travel (1,000+ miles) a week, yes a WEEK! Winter time can be brutal. Working on outdoor kiosks in -20 degree weather.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't evaluate all techs with one generic "cookie cutter" metrics. Remote/Rural techs travel hundreds of miles and only able to get to a few machines while "in city" techs can get to 10+ machines in the same amount of time. Then during review remote techs are told they haven't done enough. Also management needs to understand that kiosks are not "just down at the end of hall and turn right at the water cooler", some of them are in very remote locations and someone has to go to them.

New experiences everyday.

I worked at Redbox

ProsFlexible, New Experiences everyday, Cheap DVD Rentals, A car if you are an FSR2 or higher.

ConsPay, Corporate keeps changing SOPs, Metrics, Work Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advice from field operations personnel about daily operations pros/cons.

Was a great company....

Regional Manager (Current Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Redbox full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery generous compensation. Great benefits. Great feild employees

ConsCorporate has no idea what field employees are put through. They are given more and more work but no more hours to get it done. Field managers and RM's under a great deal to do magic. If not no matter how long you have been there they are willing to kick you to the curb! Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your field employees like you value them. Let the Regional Managers manage their own style. Not everyone manages by intimidation.

Worked for Redbox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Redbox reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Redbox CEO Mark Horak . All 92 reviews are posted anonymously by Redbox employees.