Raytheon Reviews

3.3
1,496 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is excellent for such a large accounting organization (in 177 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Intersting projects, good technical people, stable

Cons

slow, expensive and too many processes

Be competitive, act quick and do not get lost into process.

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice colleagues, and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

there are limited career growth opportunities

Good for building experience if you're just starting out or want a job where you can coast along.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Note that while this is the Canadian subsidiary of Raytheon Company, it is run as a separate, mostly autonomous business and is very different than the rest of mother Raytheon...

For most people, work-life balance is very good - working hours are very flexible and depending on whether you are a manager or not, you can bank 24-40 hours of overtime for future time off. 12 days of PTO per year and paid Christmas break are really nice. Workloads are generally reasonable, and benefits are pretty comprehensive including $500 health spending, as well as a $400 fitness reimbursement - although options are fairly restricted in its use.

Formal training opportunities are fairly good, especially when you are new to the company, with the company picking up the tab for training related to your job. Also no problem with them flying you all over the US to other Raytheon sites and conferences for training and professional development. Watch out for the 100% clawback clause in educational reimbursements though, for a period of 1 year after completion of the course.

Cons

A big issue at this division of Raytheon is the labyrinthine office politics and 'old boy's club' mentality that comes in part from the senior leadership being ex-military. Overwhelmingly older, male demographics with a paternalistic attitude. A lot of favouritism and opportunity is slanted to individuals that cater to the status quo, and is not rooted in employee capability or performance as it should be.

Many employees fly under the radar and deliver little real value to the company's operations. Have caught senior engineers sleeping at their desks on more than one occasion, and employees with poor work ethic are not held accountable for their performance or missing business-critical deliverables. Most younger employees or those with any sort of ambition don't stick around for long and as a result turnover is pretty high amongst the employees that actually add real value to the company.

A lot of unnecessary overhead, back-office positions and bureaucracy make this division uncompetitive and overly reliant on sole-source or existing business. Seems like management is unwilling or unable to make the changes needed.

Recognize the efforts and capabilities of high-performing employees, and work to challenge and develop them. Hold under-performing employees to task on their performance. Make the changes necessary to enhance the competitiveness of the business.

Mediocre organization in all respects.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Has been declining for years. Very little in the way of new projects, and the sales of Air Traffic Control radars has fallen off dramatically. Poor work environment, with high turnover, interdepartmental feuds, favouritism and politics, and inept, lethargic mangers. Lots of deadwood here, just waiting to retire. The future for this facility is very questionable, and would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone looking for challenging or interesting work.

Cons

Pay is reasonably good compared to the rest of the Canadian aerospace industry.

Raytheon Corporate (U.S.) needs to take a hard look at the inefficiency and mismanagement of resources here.

Great team environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

great people, great perks, great environment, great projects to work on, great growth opportunities. Raytheon is a really interesting place to work and you will always feel like part of the Raytheon family

Cons

Not much to say about the cons of working at Raytheon. The only thing I would improve on is that management does not really give you a clear direction on certain projects.

Once again, management sometimes assigns you projects with no clear direction and expects you to run with it. Sometimes direction is needed however not given

If you are going to be in the defense industry, you might as well chose onRaytheon is one of the five prime contractors.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mature, processes and traditional culture.

Cons

Not small, dynamic and nimble.

Help employees prepare for the inevitable downturns in the defence industry. Sequestration has been a challege.

Raytheon was flexible and I was able to move to a group that better suited my skill set

Former Employee - Systems Engineer I in Marlborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer I in Marlborough, MA (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great flex time, ability to work around doctors appointments and such. The company really cared about retention and made sure you were where you wanted to be.

Cons

Some groups better than others. In my first group, some old tymers were reluctant to train newbies, however in my second group, they almost required it. Very by the book so upward mobility really depends on time spent there rather than merit (in some departments). Can be a boys club for females, but also depends on groups.

Really assess whether someone is good for management, rather than if they have been there a long time. Good managers make all the difference!

Pretty solid company

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Tewksbury, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Tewksbury, MA (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance (rarely worked more than 40 hrs/week), 9/80 schedule for every other Friday off, good starting pay and benefits, nice yearly bonus, pretty stable industry

Cons

The raises each year are pretty minimal (although at least we got raises every I guess), there is lots of red tape and bureaucracy to get work done - it's a government contractor after all. Every once in a while we'd lose a big contract that we anticipated winning and there would be a big round of layoffs which kills morale.

Keep winning those contracts to keep your employees' jobs safe.

Great Engineering Company

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Aurora, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Aurora, CO (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personnel at Raytheon are some of the leading engineering people in the defense business. The innovation and product development is leading the way.

Cons

Processes sometimes affect agility and response time. These process have been developed over many years of defense work but need to be updated. Hard to move up in the company, many long term employees

More agility, be more entrepreneurial

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Physics Engineer in Norfolk, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Physics Engineer in Norfolk, VA (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flex schedule. Good team to work with.

Cons

advancement opportunities. some internal battling within management.