Raytheon Reviews

3.3
1,457 Reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson
William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is excellent for such a large accounting organization (in 173 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off (in 128 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Intersting projects, good technical people, stable

Cons

slow, expensive and too many processes

Be competitive, act quick and do not get lost into process.

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Very nice colleagues, and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

there are limited career growth opportunities

Good for building experience if you're just starting out or want a job where you can coast along.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I worked at Raytheon

Pros

Note that while this is the Canadian subsidiary of Raytheon Company, it is run as a separate, mostly autonomous business and is very different than the rest of mother Raytheon...

For most people, work-life balance is very good - working hours are very flexible and depending on whether you are a manager or not, you can bank 24-40 hours of overtime for future time off. 12 days of PTO per year and paid Christmas break are really nice. Workloads are generally reasonable, and benefits are pretty comprehensive including $500 health spending, as well as a $400 fitness reimbursement - although options are fairly restricted in its use.

Formal training opportunities are fairly good, especially when you are new to the company, with the company picking up the tab for training related to your job. Also no problem with them flying you all over the US to other Raytheon sites and conferences for training and professional development. Watch out for the 100% clawback clause in educational reimbursements though, for a period of 1 year after completion of the course.

Cons

A big issue at this division of Raytheon is the labyrinthine office politics and 'old boy's club' mentality that comes in part from the senior leadership being ex-military. Overwhelmingly older, male demographics with a paternalistic attitude. A lot of favouritism and opportunity is slanted to individuals that cater to the status quo, and is not rooted in employee capability or performance as it should be.

Many employees fly under the radar and deliver little real value to the company's operations. Have caught senior engineers sleeping at their desks on more than one occasion, and employees with poor work ethic are not held accountable for their performance or missing business-critical deliverables. Most younger employees or those with any sort of ambition don't stick around for long and as a result turnover is pretty high amongst the employees that actually add real value to the company.

A lot of unnecessary overhead, back-office positions and bureaucracy make this division uncompetitive and overly reliant on sole-source or existing business. Seems like management is unwilling or unable to make the changes needed.

Recognize the efforts and capabilities of high-performing employees, and work to challenge and develop them. Hold under-performing employees to task on their performance. Make the changes necessary to enhance the competitiveness of the business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre organization in all respects.

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

Has been declining for years. Very little in the way of new projects, and the sales of Air Traffic Control radars has fallen off dramatically. Poor work environment, with high turnover, interdepartmental feuds, favouritism and politics, and inept, lethargic mangers. Lots of deadwood here, just waiting to retire. The future for this facility is very questionable, and would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone looking for challenging or interesting work.

Cons

Pay is reasonably good compared to the rest of the Canadian aerospace industry.

Raytheon Corporate (U.S.) needs to take a hard look at the inefficiency and mismanagement of resources here.

Great team environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waterloo, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON

I have been working at Raytheon

Pros

great people, great perks, great environment, great projects to work on, great growth opportunities. Raytheon is a really interesting place to work and you will always feel like part of the Raytheon family

Cons

Not much to say about the cons of working at Raytheon. The only thing I would improve on is that management does not really give you a clear direction on certain projects.

Once again, management sometimes assigns you projects with no clear direction and expects you to run with it. Sometimes direction is needed however not given

Poor culture for outgoing individuals, excellent opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I  in  Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers tend to have tons of experience and know how with their work. I am very young (started here right out of my undergraduate degree) and have generally felt I've been surrounded by very intelligent people. The people you're surrounded with are generally very helpful, when they choose to be, and are good individuals. It's been heavily emphasized from the get-go that I need to get an advanced degree to move up. If you get plugged in with the right group of people, i can easily see this place being a wonderful place to work. The atmosphere is pretty cut throat, and is inspiring if you have the drive to succeed. If you have a lot of independent drive, you will build a network that will help you reach success. You need to be willing to put yourself out there (and risk falling flat on your face) to grow, which is challenging but is good. Need to consistently seek out opportunities. I generally feel in control of what I get to work on. Taking time off work is almost NEVER a problem as long as you flex your hours, use PTO, and complete work on time - a flexible schedule is absolutely wonderful, not to mention every other Friday off! Benefits are great too.

Cons

The people are generally nice and helpful, but most of all keep to themselves with their work and socially. Relationships at work aren't ever really built up and business is the primary driver (which can be good and bad, but I think a little more balance would be good). The culture is what would be expected at any engineering company - a lot of the people are very very reserved when engaging at meetings or communicating with each other which makes understanding what to do very difficult. Unless directed so by someone higher than them, more often than not people would come off as reluctant to help. Middle management is pretty awful at guiding new hires in their jobs, they just expect you to sink or swim. There is a massive gap in knowledge between new hires and most of the existing employees, with a culture that seemingly suppresses any attempt to eliminate this great divide. Also, the structure for performance reviews is awful and is set up to fail unless you devote a significant amount of time 'bragging' to your superior about your accomplishments; you'd think such a large, successful corporation would have a more defined performance evaluation cycle in place that would lead people to success. Often times I can see people getting in a rut if they don't actively communicate work to their functional supervisors, and easily getting complacent with what they do. The program I am on is rife with politics which aggravates the hell out of me, but I've heard it's not as bad as other companies.

There NEEDS to be a culture change in sharing knowledge. The divide that exists in knowledge between the head sheds to lower engineers is palpable and is established - hardly any individuals are taking it up as their duty to change this. Middle managers need to spend more time helping those below them as well as performance evaluations need to be more thorough - there needs to be a defined criteria of characteristics individuals shall meet that define the different levels of engineers. Currently, the evaluation system in place is exploited by nepotism, and unless you have a good supervisor, you won't get fairly recognized.

It is what you make of it

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I  in  Garland, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer I in Garland, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A sense of purpose. Does the thought of maintaining a sales forecast app get you going in the morning? Do you love the smell of buring shopping cart code? No? Me neither. The sense of purpose that comes with the job is one of the reasons I was attracted to defense work. There is a sense of camaraderie that I did not get from other organizations.

Cons

The tech is somewhat stale, but that has more to do with the customer than the company. Some of the technical feats pulled off in the past were nothing more than mind boggling, so the Company certainly has cutting-edge in its DNA. That being said, they do tend to treat every engineer as a widget to be shuffled around at will.

Learn to make the most of your talent and stop trying to pound square pegs into round holes

The experience was awesome I can learn so much things

Former Employee - Software Engineer I  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Raytheon as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits, profesional people and opportunity to growth.

Cons

Regular salary considering the other business.

Sr Field Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Field Engineer  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits. Work schedule flexible if requested. Plenty of opportunities to relocate if desired. I enjoy having less lateral management compared to what you get in the military.

Cons

Non so far. I've only worked there several months but as for now I cant complain. Training is not the best. Most of it is on the job.

N/a

Family Focused

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of those places where you are treated like more than just an employee. The company model has incorporated an understanding that there is more to their employees than their job title. It's very family focused, which helps with the work/life balance a lot, and you can make some great long term friends here as well.

Cons

The cons with making friends in the work place is that it takes a horrific event for this place to let go of people or even have accountability for the expectations of their "friend" employees. For that reason, there is a LOT of dead weight and slackers who have very cushy positions, offices, and roles where not much is required of them, yet they're getting seriously paid, and they're untouchable it seems. Too much of that can be demoralizing for newbies and cause the company to lose a lot of new talent.

Carry your weight and hold your team responsible for carrying theirs. If you want a cushy six figure job, at least stay under the radar by not making someone else's job hard by offloading your work or being a road block.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!