Raytheon

3.3 1,255 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

1,255 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The company allows for a relatively flexible work schedule, and has great work/life balance"
    in 149 reviews
  • "We have a 9/80 schedule option which you can accept to take"
    in 117 reviews
Cons:
  • "In my experience didn't value work/ life balance"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Upper Management has in recent years distanced themselves even further from the common employee"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIntersting projects, good technical people, stable

Consslow, expensive and too many processes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive, act quick and do not get lost into process.

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsVery nice colleagues, and relaxed atmosphere.

Consthere are limited career growth opportunities

Good for building experience if you're just starting out or want a job where you can coast along.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at Raytheon

ProsNote that while this is the Canadian subsidiary of Raytheon Company, it is run as a separate, mostly autonomous business and is very different than the rest of mother Raytheon...

For most people, work-life balance is very good - working hours are very flexible and depending on whether you are a manager or not, you can bank 24-40 hours of overtime for future time off. 12 days of PTO per year and paid Christmas break are really nice. Workloads are generally reasonable, and benefits are pretty comprehensive including $500 health spending, as well as a $400 fitness reimbursement - although options are fairly restricted in its use.

Formal training opportunities are fairly good, especially when you are new to the company, with the company picking up the tab for training related to your job. Also no problem with them flying you all over the US to other Raytheon sites and conferences for training and professional development. Watch out for the 100% clawback clause in educational reimbursements though, for a period of 1 year after completion of the course.

ConsA big issue at this division of Raytheon is the labyrinthine office politics and 'old boy's club' mentality that comes in part from the senior leadership being ex-military. Overwhelmingly older, male demographics with a paternalistic attitude. A lot of favouritism and opportunity is slanted to individuals that cater to the status quo, and is not rooted in employee capability or performance as it should be.

Many employees fly under the radar and deliver little real value to the company's operations. Have caught senior engineers sleeping at their desks on more than one occasion, and employees with poor work ethic are not held accountable for their performance or missing business-critical deliverables. Most younger employees or those with any sort of ambition don't stick around for long and as a result turnover is pretty high amongst the employees that actually add real value to the company.

A lot of unnecessary overhead, back-office positions and bureaucracy make this division uncompetitive and overly reliant on sole-source or existing business. Seems like management is unwilling or unable to make the changes needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the efforts and capabilities of high-performing employees, and work to challenge and develop them. Hold under-performing employees to task on their performance. Make the changes necessary to enhance the competitiveness of the business.

Mediocre organization in all respects.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Raytheon

ProsHas been declining for years. Very little in the way of new projects, and the sales of Air Traffic Control radars has fallen off dramatically. Poor work environment, with high turnover, interdepartmental feuds, favouritism and politics, and inept, lethargic mangers. Lots of deadwood here, just waiting to retire. The future for this facility is very questionable, and would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone looking for challenging or interesting work.

ConsPay is reasonably good compared to the rest of the Canadian aerospace industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaytheon Corporate (U.S.) needs to take a hard look at the inefficiency and mismanagement of resources here.

Great team environment

I have been working at Raytheon

Prosgreat people, great perks, great environment, great projects to work on, great growth opportunities. Raytheon is a really interesting place to work and you will always feel like part of the Raytheon family

ConsNot much to say about the cons of working at Raytheon. The only thing I would improve on is that management does not really give you a clear direction on certain projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce again, management sometimes assigns you projects with no clear direction and expects you to run with it. Sometimes direction is needed however not given

Just a job, body shop

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, and perks. 401k match from the start! Put your 40 hours in and you get 3% yearly bump

ConsYou are only good for that current effort you are working. Slim chance you be able to find another Raytheon effort after your current contract expires.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your current employees!

A great place to work.

Communications Manager (Former Employee)
McKinney, TX (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery employee-focused company. Numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth. Had the chance to work with very talented people.

ConsEmployee head-count is at the mercy of federal defense spending. I wish more opportunities were available so that I could rejoin the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employee morale at top-of-mind. I'm sure job security is a major issue given all of the lay-offs and division collapses that have occurred over the past few years.

Great learning environment & supportive of telecommuting.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Fullerton, CA (US)

I worked at Raytheon full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat pay, location & atmosphere. Very flexible with schedule & work life balance. Supports telecommuting among employees. Many career opportunities within various disciplines.

ConsLayoff risks depending on defense contracts & gov't budgets

Great People...Corporate doesn't always see that

Senior Systems Engineer II (E04) (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Raytheon full-time for more than 5 years

ProsChallenging Problems, Steady, Good Contracts, Growth

ConsSome programs are very top heavy, You have to change programs to move up...some engineers have good breadth of experience, but it is rarely noticed

Layoffs...fact of life in defence right now

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond those metrics in your rankings...definitely look beyong the performance reviews. There are some engineers and scientists that perform well outside of the pigeon holes.

Great Company

I have been working at Raytheon full-time

ProsExcelent benifits, great opertunites to move around within the company

ConsWorking on a government contract does have its downsides, such as if the govenment goes with another contractor then you are pretty much SoL as far sustaining employement.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!

Raytheon Videos

Raytheon – Why Work for Us?

Raytheon: Aspiring to be the most admired defense and aerospace systems company through our world-class people and technology Raytheon is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Raytheon reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson. All 1,255 reviews are posted anonymously by Raytheon employees.