Raytheon

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.3 1,376 reviews

Raytheon Chairman and CEO William H. Swanson

William H. Swanson

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule provides excellent work-life balance(in 166 reviews)

• Time-off: 9/80 schedule allows for 9 hour workdays and every other Friday off(in 126 reviews)

Cons
  • In my experience didn't value work/ life balance(in 36 reviews)

• Upper management often doesn't recognize how it is different from manufacturing(in 40 reviews)

1,376 Employee Reviews

Senior Systems Engineer

ProsIntersting projects, good technical people, stable

Consslow, expensive and too many processes

Advice to Senior ManagementBe competitive, act quick and do not get lost into process.

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON

ProsVery nice colleagues, and relaxed atmosphere.

Consthere are limited career growth opportunities

Good for building experience if you're just starting out or want a job where you can coast along.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsNote that while this is the Canadian subsidiary of Raytheon Company, it is run as a separate, mostly autonomous business and is very different than the rest of mother Raytheon...

For most people, work-life balance is very good - working hours are very flexible and depending on whether you are a manager or not, you can bank 24-40 hours of overtime for future time off. 12 days of PTO per year and paid Christmas break are really nice. Workloads are generally reasonable, and benefits are pretty comprehensive including $500 health spending, as well as a $400 fitness reimbursement - although options are fairly restricted in its use.

Formal training opportunities are fairly good, especially when you are new to the company, with the company picking up the tab for training related to your job. Also no problem with them flying you all over the US to other Raytheon sites and conferences for training and professional development. Watch out for the 100% clawback clause in educational reimbursements though, for a period of 1 year after completion of the course.

ConsA big issue at this division of Raytheon is the labyrinthine office politics and 'old boy's club' mentality that comes in part from the senior leadership being ex-military. Overwhelmingly older, male demographics with a paternalistic attitude. A lot of favouritism and opportunity is slanted to individuals that cater to the status quo, and is not rooted in employee capability or performance as it should be.

Many employees fly under the radar and deliver little real value to the company's operations. Have caught senior engineers sleeping at their desks on more than one occasion, and employees with poor work ethic are not held accountable for their performance or missing business-critical deliverables. Most younger employees or those with any sort of ambition don't stick around for long and as a result turnover is pretty high amongst the employees that actually add real value to the company.

A lot of unnecessary overhead, back-office positions and bureaucracy make this division uncompetitive and overly reliant on sole-source or existing business. Seems like management is unwilling or unable to make the changes needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the efforts and capabilities of high-performing employees, and work to challenge and develop them. Hold under-performing employees to task on their performance. Make the changes necessary to enhance the competitiveness of the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre organization in all respects.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON

ProsHas been declining for years. Very little in the way of new projects, and the sales of Air Traffic Control radars has fallen off dramatically. Poor work environment, with high turnover, interdepartmental feuds, favouritism and politics, and inept, lethargic mangers. Lots of deadwood here, just waiting to retire. The future for this facility is very questionable, and would definitely NOT recommend it to anyone looking for challenging or interesting work.

ConsPay is reasonably good compared to the rest of the Canadian aerospace industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaytheon Corporate (U.S.) needs to take a hard look at the inefficiency and mismanagement of resources here.

Great team environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON

Prosgreat people, great perks, great environment, great projects to work on, great growth opportunities. Raytheon is a really interesting place to work and you will always feel like part of the Raytheon family

ConsNot much to say about the cons of working at Raytheon. The only thing I would improve on is that management does not really give you a clear direction on certain projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce again, management sometimes assigns you projects with no clear direction and expects you to run with it. Sometimes direction is needed however not given

So much better than my time at ngc

Software Engineer I (Current Employee) Fullerton, CA (US)

ProsDecent benefits.
    Friendly coworkers.
    Relevant programming languages, java, c sharp
    Upper management is friendly and approachable
    Profit sharing, woot!

ConsR6sigma is excessive
    Business casual = bleh
    Super structured raises
    Female engineer friendly, I have not had much issue or hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract younger engineers encourage a more casual environment. Nobody enjoys wearing button ups and slacks.

Great company to work for!

Project Manager II (Former Employee) Waltham, MA (US)

ProsI massively enjoyed my time at Raytheon. Another opportunity outside defense took me away, but I would consider going back as it is a great work environment with a lot of upward potential.

ConsI honestly can't think of anything negative to say. Large organizations move a bit more slowly than smaller companies, however that is to be expected.

Good company with many very hard working people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlextime, good salary and benefits, very nice people to work with. Very interesting work

ConsManagement is continually badgered by the customer to do more with less. Also management gets saddled with much government mandated accounting gimmicks like Six Sigma, which is not appropriate for much of the mission involving research and development.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does the best they can in spite of the pressures by the customer. No advice.

Good, bad, and Stressful

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Andover, MA (US)

ProsGreat place to work. Very resourceful and lots of opportunities to move and rotate around to try new experiences. Very flexible work hours and paid overtime for salary employees.

ConsWorking with the union slows down the progress of getting things done in a timely manner. Government contracts may mean your working a lot of hours and really busy or very slow and worrying if you will be laid off.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your people. Take care of those who take care of you. Low raises over a large period of time while knowing your underpaid does not help morale at the individual contributor level. Compensation and benefits are slowly declining (Medical is more costly, Achievement awards are less, etc).

I learned a lot as an intern, but wait there's more...

Electrical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) El Paso, TX (US)

Pros-Great learning experience on military, gets your testosterone levels up.
    -fexible schedule
    -opportunities across the world
    -Not strict on time

Cons-Sloooooooow to finish things
    -too much management
    -Old people
    - Mostly men

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more bold and more of a risk taker.

Worked for Raytheon? Contribute to the Community!