Raven Industries Reviews

2.7
Raven Industries President and CEO Daniel A. Rykhus
Daniel A. Rykhus

1. Not transparent

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I worked at Raven Industries

Pros

Starting pay is good. Work isn't terribly hard most times. There is a "hurry up and wait" attitude most of the time.

Cons

Leadership and upper management is not very clear with the goals or individuals or even the company.

Advice to Management

Talk with your employees. Don't just hold quarterly meetings to show sales numbers and stock info.

Deteriorated, broken company

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Raven has better benefits in the Sioux Falls area, where they are headquartered, as compared to other companies in town.

Cons

Leadership is severely lacking - from CEO to lower management. They say one thing and do another. Massive failures are buried under false propaganda of "success".

Friends of management can be promoted from technician to director whereas smart, effective directors and executives can be demoted to irrelevance. Watch your back everyday.

Layoffs happen every few months because management constantly makes costly mistakes. Newly acquired businesses are shut down. They appear to hide all of that to avoid negative publicity and publish big pages in local newspaper when they do somewhat okay in sales. Lot of fakeness surrounds this broken company.

Quality does not appear important in this company. Most products are already behind competition. They can't play catchup because intelligent people are leaving fast.

They produce so much plastic! For years they have been throwing plastic in the landfill. Now they have recycling system that helps, but just think - all this plastic they make is generally thrown away or put in/on the land. Your 10th generation will find it when they dig their yard to plant vegetables.

Choose this company only if you have no other place to work.

Advice to Management

Management is incorrigible. The board must come to its senses and relieve entire top management and majority of directors over the next 2 years. Bring an experienced CEO who is in touch with reality and has guts to accept mistakes.

Simplify your products. Get away from the plastic business. Sell off the balloon division and begin investing some of your core technology in renewable energy, data science and tools that expand farming rather than just helping the existing farms. Think outside the box. You guys have so little innovative thinking, management!

Be truthful. Have the guts to admit your numerous mistakes. Apologize to the people you so ruthlessly layed off due to your failures.

3. Dynamic company with leadership that values employees

I worked at Raven Industries

Pros

Raven's leadership believes that great talent leads to great results. It believes when the community sees the company as an outstanding place to work, people will stay longer and openings will be flooded with applicants. This philosophy created a positive work environment.

Cons

The vision of the leadership on how to treat people was great, but it was difficult for that to trickle down through all levels of management and to all divisions. Not all supervisors and managers bought-in to the vision, but overall it was embraced.

Advice to Management

Continue to train managers and supervisors in the leadership ideas promoted throughout the organization.

5. Fair

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven can be a fairly vibrant place to work. It depends, though. Raven has three divisions (currently, at least, because it used to be four), and they all operate basically like separate companies. I work for a remote site, so it's hard to speak to the culture at headquarters in Sioux Falls. All I can say is your experience will differ depending on where you find yourself.

It's worth mentioning that Raven has never skipped a merit increase while I've been here, even though our year-to-year performance is dropping, and belts are being tightened.

This could be considered a pro or con, but, even though work can be fast-paced at Raven, I think the people are pretty laid back and down-to-earth. Of course, there are always bad apples, but I think overall the people don't take themselves too terribly seriously, and I mean that as a compliment. Also, the work/life balance is good.

Cons

First of all, the remote site where I work is being shuttered. So Raven is not doing well financially right now. Also, the vast majority of employees work at headquarters. This is probably common, but I would not highly recommend working at a remote site. All the glam and glory is at headquarters. You see on the inter-company video monitors how they are remodeling and moving into new spaces and hiring in Sioux Falls, while at your site, it's kind of an eyesore, there's little-to-no remodeling and upkeep, and for the past couple years, we have lost people and not replaced them.

Also, I don't think training and continuing education is too good at Raven. Now, it *seems* like it might be better at headquarters, but that's just a general impression. But from my end, not a lot of opportunities for growth and cross training. That is all up to you on your own time, in a way.

Also, I could be biased from my former employer, but I don't think the benefits are very good at Raven. In my case, they pay 78% of my health insurance premiums, and I have heard of other companies paying a lot more than that. Also, I'm not sure the health insurance options are top notch to begin with, but they're not bad, either. But coverage is not that good overall, considering vision and dental.

6. Used to be a great place to work.

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Typical benefits package that is somewhat less expensive than average for the area.

Cons

Senior management is unprepared and unqualified for their positions. Lower level management is self serving and clique-y. Back stabbing and bad mouthing are standard procedure. Lay offs are common but done in such a way that it is never brought to the attention of the media. If you are over 40, watch out - there's a good chance you will be one that gets tapped for a lay off.

Micromanagement Causes Great Challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD (US)

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time

Pros

Raven makes great products with a great purpose and we are headquartered in a great community. These products are made in diversified industries which in theory should help maintain stability for employees across the organization.

Cons

Executive management is VERY short sighted and completely reactive. Leaders should be looking out farther than the next quarterly report. This desire to "hit the number" has most employees at EVERY level looking over their shoulder instead of focusing on producing. During tough times, I would expect a company with a good balance sheet showing no debt and plenty of cash to focus on their products, customers, and employees instead of how many people to fire to help the earnings report in the next quarter.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging the short term chaos, manage the long term opportunities. Invest in growth opportunities now that will pay dividends when the market returns, its that old saying "buy low and sell high". You have an excellent rainy day fund, now is the time to invest in the companies future, not erode your teams confidence.
    If you need to reduce costs, be open and up front with your employees. Offer early retirement, attractive severance packages to those willing to accept them. After this, then you cut only were necessary for a 2-3 year outlook, not 3-6 months. What you have done with multiple layoffs in 2014 at all levels throughout the company has destroyed morale and productivity. I fear it is a matter of time until the culture of this great company is destroyed by infighting as everyone tries to save their job at the expense of the greater company good.

8. One of Sioux Fall's best

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Top notch organization. The benefits that are offered are very competitive within the Sioux Falls market and in most cases less expensive than a majority of SF employers. Competitive in terms of salary. Generous in terms of policies and procedures. Exciting in terms of the products we produce. Relaxed and extremely open, friendly environment. I love it!!

Cons

I believe the Leaders at Raven have the best intentions but have a difficult time executing. Raven is not the "technology" company they claim to be but I believe they are trying to move in that direction. Raven may be notorious for "lay-offs" but in reality, it's temporary employees whose assignment has ended. The biggest draw back might be the cyclical nature of the business. But in reality isn't this true of many manufacturing companies, that to single Raven out would not be fair.

Advice to Management

Dan and his team of leaders need to be one step ahead. Where are the creative minds that will take Raven to the next level. Stop waiting....take a leap of faith.....become the industry leader that you claim us to be.

9. Better than unemployment?

I have been working at Raven Industries

Pros

Great place to coast out till retirement. Casual, easy, never really felt challenged. Some good travel opportunities. Products are. ..interesting. some nice coworkers.

Cons

This is a company not solving great challenges. CEO and chain of managment downward are superficial to their employees. Strategy seems severely flawed particularly for the company RAVEN is (Take a look at last year's stock performance). Leadership focused on profits while laying people off during the holidays. IMHO , doesn't have technical capabilities to go places.

10. Getting too political NOT the Company that it used to be

I have been working at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for the area.

Cons

Company does not reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions.
    People close to executives, or relatives/church buddies are given raises and are promoted quickly even if not qualified.
    New management does not follow what it preaches. Can't make decisions on product direction.
    Currently have a reputation for manufacturing outdated products. New products are released before they are ready for market.

11. Disappointed

I worked at Raven Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great co workers and friendships made, company willing to spend money, ability to get training and equipment, great place to get experience and move on

Cons

Company doesnt reward loyalty or hard work, little room for advancement, politics involved in all decisions, management rhetoric not followed by themselves