Rackspace Reviews

Updated 27 September, 2014
Updated 27 September, 2014
3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 34 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with amazing Rackers creating an excellent workplace.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A 6-year Racker, I am proud to work for a company that makes coming to work every day enjoyable. Rackspace is full of opportunities for employees to explore their passions and help create a world-class company in which people are proud of their career. I have watched Rackspace grow from a privately-held company with approximately 1000 employees to a publicly-traded enterprise-class company and home for 5000+ Rackers. Our Core values are held in the highest regard by everyone in the company, from contracted hourly workers to C-Level executives. Many times have I witnessed and been a part of Rackers banding together to take care of their fellow Rackers, treating them just like family.

Even considering Rackspace is an IT-based company, non-technical employees can expand their knowledge through on-the-job training, classroom training, college courses, and mentoring with other Rackers. Rackspace is a company where ambition and personal drive is rewarded with continual personal growth and expertise. There are not many companies this size where all employees have the ability to provide feedback or suggestions that could very possibly better the entire company.

Additionally, the unique culture at Rackspace resonates in all Rackers. Part of the interview process deals with culture and team-fit. Front-line Rackers have input on prospective candidates ensuring that the people who are hired are genuine and will continue to define what a Racker is.

Being constantly surrounded by some of the smartest, most innovative, and determined thinkers enables Rackers to continually learn from each other, enable each other, and forgive each other. Rackers are humans, as we all are, and we cannot be afraid to try new things, even if we make mistakes or don't perfect the process the first time. Some of the most valuable things I have learned at Rackspace has come from others personal experiences and together we can improve processes, ourselves, and pass knowledge onto to others for further innovation.

I am also very much a fan of our open-door policy and general accessibility to anyone or any department. When you can walk a few rows over and brainstorm with the President of the entire company, it makes you truly feel that you are a vital part of a living corporation. Having a voice, and knowing that voice is heard, is a satisfying feeling. Knowing you are a Racker with a name, a personality, a contributor and a thinker is so much more rewarding then just being an unknown employee of a gigantic company.

Cons

Rackers know that with perks and a free-spirited culture comes with disadvantages as well. Compared to other corporations in the industry, the pay-scale can be on the lower side than with another employer. Rackspace has recognized this, however, and is working towards salary market adjustments and is investing in employee and talent retention.

Continue to always be transparent to Racker, always. As we have grown, messages and direction can be lost in translation. We are featured much more in the media and market journalism. Before a Racker reads something online in a blog or media outlet, ensure that things have been communicated internally, and even over-communicated if need be, to avoid speculation, rumors, fears and doubt. Although tedious at times, making sure important messages are communicated through all internal methods can help inform Rackers. Use live-forums, smaller sessions, email communication, printed communication, etc., to best spread the word to Rackers.

Bureaucratic processes, endless change, poor middle management, no vision

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Good name on resume - work here for a year then leave

Cons

- Highly bureaucratic due to internal politics and legacy of endless change
    - Middle managers have no time to provide direction or recognize talent
    - Much middle management has no technical skill
    - Little vision on where industry is going (hint: Amazon)
    - Little opportunity within - massive teams for simple products, small teams for core business/processes
    - Pay is lower than industry average
    - Very high level of burnout
    - No work-life balance
    - Everyone is a manager, nobody manages

- Trim middle management
    - Recognize core people and promote technical staff, not bureaucrats

Rackspace has a fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to learn and grow in a fun environment. Managers care and are willing to work with you on schedules and projects.

Cons

It can be frustrating at times due to much disorganization. Different departments are sometimes working on similar projects leading to inefficiency. Training is provided to a certain level, but there is no structured training for advanced topics.

If Rackspace is going to differentiate itself from competitors based on support, then the support floor needs to be more valued instead of being treated like "people who barely made it through community college" as I've heard people say.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

loved team culture and camaraderie

Cons

not much room for growth

Long time Racker and I love this place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The opportunities at Rackspace are fantastic. I've been here for many years and I have learned and grown so much.

Cons

Rackspace changes a lot internally. We do this because we have a 'do whatever it takes for the customer attitude' and sometimes that means a full on re-org. We aren't afraid of change in fact we embrace it. This can make things tough when it comes to consistency, or success of long term projects.

Beware the dark side

Current Employee - Decline to State  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, constant change, lots of challenging work, and significant opportunity for advancement if you play the social and political game correctly.

Cons

There is a very dark underbelly to the company's constant focus on its core values. In most cases, people really live these values but they are very frequently used as a weapon to ostracize people who challenge too much or who are disliked by the powerful social cliques that run the place. Rackspace claims to be a pure meritocracy but it is a great deal more like high school. If you can be one of the popular kids and are good at what you do, you can grow an amazing career at Rackspace. On the other hand, if you are great at what you do but you are threatening to any of the in-groups, you're going to suffer intensely.

You REALLY need to get G&A under control and it's going to take cuts to headcount to do it. There are long-time Rackers who have risen far past their highest point of competence and you need to stop treating tenure as though it is the equal of merit.

Going, going.....gon

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

Cons

Focus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Senior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Linux Administrator I  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

The tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Determine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

A shell of it's former self, trying to find purpose and meaning

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone tries really hard to keep a fun environment and put people first. Family friendly atmosphere meets a laid back vibe with a "get things done" disposition.

Cons

Sometimes Rackspace carries a strange, almost inauthentic paternal atmosphere. Leaders seem to burn a lot of energy setting up activities and conducting town halls that are designed to represent how much they care about Rackers...when all in all, most of the mid level leaders and below are actually self serving borderline psychopaths.

Just Quit. If what you read didn't make you question yourself or annoyed, maybe you're one of the 15% of managers that actually adds value.

(UK) Great culture, poor advancement/compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic benefits, which the HR team do a great job with. From personal health (gym, sports days etc.) to general fun, they do a good job of creating a nice buzz.

- Generally, the culture is good. Increasingly, there seemed to be less focus on hiring the "right" characters and personalities for the company, but for most of my tenure I was surrounded by good people.

- Flexible time-off and working from home policies.

Cons

- Compensation was really poor, and well below industry averages in some cases. Moving up pay grades was always made into a logistical difficulty (changing job titles, teams etc.).

- Some of the managers are not equipped to be people managers, relying on leaders within the teams to do most of the hands-on managerial work.

- Senior leadership approach the business in a very reactive manner, causing the business focus to shift every 6 months after things go wrong. There is no committed direction and it seems they're winging it.

- No opportunities for progression. Having left since, I have realised how I've probably stunted my own growth by not doing so sooner.

In several years of employment, I was one of many examples of people not once offered to interview for a more prominent position, in spite of performance and clear suitability. In my example, this was despite top-of-class performance reviews, and taking the role of "temporary" manager whenever the managerial team were away, or staff felt they couldn't rely on them.

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!