Rackspace Reviews

Updated 27 August, 2014
Updated 27 August, 2014

3.6

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

great place

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

loved team culture and camaraderie

Cons

not much room for growth

Bureaucratic processes, endless change, poor middle management, no vision

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

Pros

Good name on resume - work here for a year then leave

Cons

- Highly bureaucratic due to internal politics and legacy of endless change
    - Middle managers have no time to provide direction or recognize talent
    - Much middle management has no technical skill
    - Little vision on where industry is going (hint: Amazon)
    - Little opportunity within - massive teams for simple products, small teams for core business/processes
    - Pay is lower than industry average
    - Very high level of burnout
    - No work-life balance
    - Everyone is a manager, nobody manages

- Trim middle management
    - Recognize core people and promote technical staff, not bureaucrats

Was A Great Place To Work... Was

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

RS is very good to their employees on the surface. There are many perks, everyone is stoked to go to work, and it seems as though you're going to have a ton of fun on the job. In many areas of the company this is completely true and RS provides. They provide a very fun, relaxed environment that allows you to thrive if you're a self starter.

Cons

Management is becoming less and less "Rackspace." Over the last couple years the management team has become full of managers operating under the theory X style of management. They have driven many, many long term Rackers out, including the CEO. If management doesn't look to those leaders who have been around since the early days (those that are left) they're going to drive them away. I went from a die hard Racker to someone who was completely heart broken when I saw this decline... It is as if they don't ever know what the CORE values are.

Clean house and start over.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beware the dark side

Current Employee - Decline to State  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, constant change, lots of challenging work, and significant opportunity for advancement if you play the social and political game correctly.

Cons

There is a very dark underbelly to the company's constant focus on its core values. In most cases, people really live these values but they are very frequently used as a weapon to ostracize people who challenge too much or who are disliked by the powerful social cliques that run the place. Rackspace claims to be a pure meritocracy but it is a great deal more like high school. If you can be one of the popular kids and are good at what you do, you can grow an amazing career at Rackspace. On the other hand, if you are great at what you do but you are threatening to any of the in-groups, you're going to suffer intensely.

You REALLY need to get G&A under control and it's going to take cuts to headcount to do it. There are long-time Rackers who have risen far past their highest point of competence and you need to stop treating tenure as though it is the equal of merit.

Going, going.....gon

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some very sincere, hard-working, smart people there. CEO & President are 'good people'.

Cons

Focus changes quarterly.
    No vision > strategy? > competing tactics > confused employees > frustrated/fleeing customers > fading stock.
    Core values preached but no longer practiced.
    Broken continuity as people transfer every 6 months.

Senior managers hiring their unqualified buddies and then allowing them to get away with nearly anything has to stop.
    Entitlement and threatening has to end. Respect needs to be constantly earned.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Linux Administrator I  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator I in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are generally great to work with. The office is comfortable. The benefits are also very nice. There are lots of opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

The tools we need to use are broken half the time. Processes for advancement are not consistent and in some areas come down to very nit picky hoops that you have to jump through, some of them based on your personal brand and how you have sold it to the rest of your department.

Determine what advancement means in any given team and tailor the advancement process to match your expectations of the new position. Tools need to be consistently functioning and not rely on third party (employee written) hacks to extend them for needed functionality.

A shell of it's former self, trying to find purpose and meaning

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone tries really hard to keep a fun environment and put people first. Family friendly atmosphere meets a laid back vibe with a "get things done" disposition.

Cons

Sometimes Rackspace carries a strange, almost inauthentic paternal atmosphere. Leaders seem to burn a lot of energy setting up activities and conducting town halls that are designed to represent how much they care about Rackers...when all in all, most of the mid level leaders and below are actually self serving borderline psychopaths.

Just Quit. If what you read didn't make you question yourself or annoyed, maybe you're one of the 15% of managers that actually adds value.

(UK) Great culture, poor advancement/compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fantastic benefits, which the HR team do a great job with. From personal health (gym, sports days etc.) to general fun, they do a good job of creating a nice buzz.

- Generally, the culture is good. Increasingly, there seemed to be less focus on hiring the "right" characters and personalities for the company, but for most of my tenure I was surrounded by good people.

- Flexible time-off and working from home policies.

Cons

- Compensation was really poor, and well below industry averages in some cases. Moving up pay grades was always made into a logistical difficulty (changing job titles, teams etc.).

- Some of the managers are not equipped to be people managers, relying on leaders within the teams to do most of the hands-on managerial work.

- Senior leadership approach the business in a very reactive manner, causing the business focus to shift every 6 months after things go wrong. There is no committed direction and it seems they're winging it.

- No opportunities for progression. Having left since, I have realised how I've probably stunted my own growth by not doing so sooner.

In several years of employment, I was one of many examples of people not once offered to interview for a more prominent position, in spite of performance and clear suitability. In my example, this was despite top-of-class performance reviews, and taking the role of "temporary" manager whenever the managerial team were away, or staff felt they couldn't rely on them.

Fanatically unstable

Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Windows Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

10% quarterly bonus (if your lucky)
    Flexible work schedule

Cons

Hard to work your way up unless you are in certain 'cliques'
    bonuses are there but they are unreliable
    Pay is low for market and keeps getting lower the longer you stay

after hours should never be an after thought, and pay should be brought up to market, not "target", for everyone atleast every few years, for those who even stay that long if for no other reason than to show appreciation of the job they are doing(but all this is a pipe dream). Transparency and full disclosure shouldn't be to just are customers but to everyone

Good place to work there

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is okay types company... if you don't have any other offer, then go for it

Cons

hings vary from project to project/ team to team... always be ready to move out and search for new opportunity

Good place to work

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!