Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
Employer Engaged

So far so good with some bumps in the road.

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, Competitive, CORE values

Cons

Constant growing pains, Constant change

Low pay, which Culture can never make up for....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

- company culture
    - great technical folks
    - some training

Cons

- low pay
    - no upward mobility
    - middle management that doesn't have a clue
    - empty promises

Learn about servant leadership, and start Enabling and Empowering the folks that work for you!

Things are changing

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It seems that the company is trying to find itself, which is better than what they have been doing in the past.

Cons

-no competitive pay for the work you are expected to due
    -middle management has no idea how to manage people
    -senior people leaving, but getting mediocre people in return

-cut dead weight (managers/techs)
    -redo your interview process. too many people get booted because 1 person did not like them. you are losing some great candidates from this methodology of hiring.

Sad to say it was nothing like they promised

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good on your resume (for now at least)

Cons

It looked so good from the outside but "Racker culture" if it ever existed is long gone. RS likes to quote it's harder to get into Princeton than Rackspace but many employees are underskilled and not weeded out by simple interview process.

Worst politics of any corporation I've seen.
    Very little accountability.
    Chains of management doing nothing. One dev works for one manager who works for another manager and another... 1.7 workers per manager on average.
    No hope of promotion. No transparency of how to get promoted unless you're friends with the right people.
    Super bureaucratic. Can't get expenses signed off. Can't travel. Can't move internally without all the boxes checked.
    Shifting strategy and changes in direction all the time.
    Overqualified people doing simple tasks for underqualified managers.
    Pay is below par for the market. First thing manager said to me when I joined was to never expect a raise (2-3% for the superstars, he said). Wow, so motivational.
    Technology is fairly weak and ability to plan/implement/execute is very poor. Always missing delivery dates.
    Layoffs happening while company still hiring 40-50 people a week (look at the listings on LinkedIn!)
    Training is weak-to-nonexistent
    More of sales/marketing company than a tech company. Employees expecting tech will be disappointed.
    Rampant waste - agencies and vendors everywhere doing basic tasks.
    Cross-functional silos and constant reorg'ing mean slackers can hide and never get fired or called out.

RS needs to get bought or sold instead of being run by amateurs like a $1 billion mom and pop shop. I wasted two years here but knew it was a dead end after 3 months.

"SLT" as it's called here is bloated and full of ineffective managers or Graham's sycophants. Need to clear house and fire 75% of director-and-above.

Slightly above average, but getting better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This part really depends on your age and your previous work experience. The atmosphere here is pretty laid back. The offices are geared towards openness and fun, meaning there are no 'offices', only cubicles, mostly with low walls between so you can see over them. Fun in that there are things like funky themed meeting rooms, slides from one floor to the other, video game machines, etc., to keep the employees entertained.

As far as benefits, Rackspace has very nice ones. They've finally got a very good, competitive health care provider with a nice array of options. There's an ESSP and stock options program. And I find that the PTO program is very competitive. I've been here almost 8 years and I get 6 1/2 weeks off a year.

Cons

The thing I most dislike about Rackspace is the management structure. I've personally seen over 20 people promoted to management that should never in anyone's wildest dreams be managing anything, much less people. You can get promoted here based on who you know more than what you can do or what your experience is. That drives me crazy. Also, too many people are still hanging on to the 'startup' mentality, even though there are now over 6000 employees here working in mutliple countries. The days of just winging it should be long over. Unfortunately, too many people, a lot of them the exact managers I'm complaining about, just do things based on whatever sounds good to them. If you're looking for things like agile, look elsewhere. Project management here is a joke.

Like no other

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace is an incredible place to work. You're surrounded by brilliant and fun people to start off with. Development and training opportunities are abundant & You've every chance to advance your career and move up wards, and sideways

Cons

Tools and systems are a little painful, and sometimes the US have too much say in affair

Sort out a working automation and development team (Internal)

Senior Program Manager

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Dress Code, Work/Life Balance, Free Gym.

Cons

Politics that make the Game of Thrones look tame. Promotion is based on popularity. Rackers aren't given the tools they need to take care of their customers.

Take a hard look at your managers (VPs, Dir, Sr Mgrs, Mgrs). Don't just look at their engagement scores, but look at the effectiveness of their teams. Get rid of your directors with no direct reports.

Was sold on the hype, worst decision I made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free soda, relaxed dress code, nice people, new problems everyday to troubleshoot

Cons

I was sold that this is a great place for your next journey in IT. I come here and find out it is great if you like to play politics. I left a good job and got screwed. I have found nothing but horrible, inexperienced managers. The training is very generic and there is only so much openstack hype they have to run on. Reorg's every quarter and shrinking employee perks. Benefits stink and raises are do not happen. San Antonio is not the best tech hub and wish I would of hit Austin before relocating down here. Potential new hires, please make sure you do your homework on this company. It is not what it use to be and is changing very rapidly for the worse. A lot of techs are looking for other jobs, so expect another mass exodus.

I have nothing to say because SLT does not listen to IC's.

Going through a mass exodus of talent

Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Network Security Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Awesome Co-Workers
    - Plenty of Training Opportunities
    - Challenging work
    - Work/Life Balance
    - Generally Positive Atmosphere

Cons

- Low Compensation
    - Perpetually understaffed
    - Lack of clear direction
    - Expected to exceed expectations
    - Lack of organization in support structure

A lot of the cons are due to recent changes after the new CEO was put in place. The company has driven away a lot of senior talent by forcing more work on these employees and taking away certain benefits .. all without providing any additional compensation. Was actually told in a meeting that the "awesome" company culture of Rackspace does not apply to Network Security employees due to the amount of work and lack of headcount.

Pay attention to the shift in culture that is currently happening and provide a clear direction that the company is going down. Don't ostracize any of your business units and offer competitive compensation, rather than saying "lawlzz, we you should be lucky to even work at Rackspace, so take your low pay". The culture is dying due to the change in senior leadership and those "benefits" have disappeared which has a lot of people leaving because if you're going to deal with a crappy job, you might as well get paid more for it.

Great culture and people

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator III in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator III in London, England (UK)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, people and you can always learn new things from your co_worker.

Cons

Depend on which department you are in there may be limited opportunity to move up. But doesn't mean that there is no development option as long as you are motivated and hard working :)

Keep up the good work and please keep people at the center as this is your secret saurce to continued success!