Rackspace

www.rackspace.com
Employer Engaged

Death of a once great company

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Front line rackers (support, engineers, developers) are generally great people to work with. Many are burning the candle at both ends hoping for the company to correct itself.

Cons

- Layoffs: As the company continues to hire, layoffs have been occurring with very little transparency leading to rampant speculation.

- Death of Core Values: The core values at Rackspace are officially dead. We ought to simply paint over them and recognize they are no longer a guidepost for how we operate the business.

- Difficulty Leaving San Antonio: If you move to San Antonio, realize that it will be very difficult to leave. In some ways, management uses this to their advantage. If Rackspace were located in a high-tech city, the inept leadership at this company would not be allowed to behave in the way they currently are, they would all be fired as a mass exodus and the resulting reputation hit would be immediately evident. In San Antonio, it will take

- CEO: The new CEO and the changes that have been implemented have been disappointing. He is out of touch with customers, Rackers. The best thing for him to happen is to "retire from Rackspace". At Rackspace, retirement has a different meaning if you are a senior executive.

The SLT and most VPs are in positions that they are extremely under qualified for. One of the few things SLT is world class at is the art of re-organization. Surely if you shuffle the deck often enough, greatness might eme

Culture changing, no longer a great place to work

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Quick adoption of technology, Transparent culture

Cons

Benefits way lower than industry standards, no work life balance

Fun place to work, cheap

Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Linux Systems Administrator II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Great people, fun place to work

Cons

You're paid below market and expected to work 2x more.

Stop being greedy and taking all the stock. We all know what you are doing, getting as much as you can before things slow down

Underpaid, Bad management, Good friends

Current Employee - Senior Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Support Systems Engineer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good friends who understand the same pain you are going through with this company

Cons

Not paid enough to put up with the demands your manager is giving you. Your manager has no idea how to manage, so the blame always falls on you. They have a management training program, but it does not seem to be helping with these new managers. They throw them in the wild and use the floor as a training ground. We are not a startup anymore, but they try to treat it as it is. If your customer complains, it is all your fault (sse) and not the AM, BDC, or any of the admins who screwed up.

Before, it was all our cloud and no one else's, but now it is everyones cloud we manage. We don't even have people who understand our cloud, let alone now manage other clouds :( SLT is trying to throw darts blindly to see what works. We did this 5 years ago and got hurt and here we are doing it again.

Politics suck here. Make sure to play the game right to get promoted. Will leave it at that.

You need to start hiring better tech talent or you will be in some pain in the near future.

Would not recommend - No work life balance

Former Employee - Accounting in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Accounting in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Casual work attire was really nice. Free drinks in their break stations and some really great and smart people.

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance. Was averaging 55-60 hrs/week. Management acts like they support you but are very quick to throw you under the bus just to cover their own. No structure and very poor evaluation. They give you an evaluation and you're completely surprised because in all your previous meeting they praise you and then hit you with a 'Did not meet expectations' evaluation. A very stressful, unprofessional, and unhappy work environment.

Harder than ever

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

It is still possible to have an enjoyable job here. The company is doing more interesting work than I think I could find at a lot of other places, especially in south Texas. I feel that I am compensated well. If the company can find a path that works and stick with it long enough for the staff to provide great support around it, employee satisfaction could go up again.

Cons

The company has lost a lot of talent and it feels like we've been making more sacrifices than I've seen in my years here. Happy Rackers provide great support and the money will follow. It seems like we've been addressing this at the opposite end by cutting benefits to save money and Racker engagement keeps dropping.

The company has been trying to find its footing for the past few years. Support staff is expected to know a lot about everything but the training isn't where it needs to be. Combined with high turnover, and sometimes it feels like the blind are leading the blind. Our tools are fragmented and not all that good either.

There is a lack of good technical leadership that would be able to measure merit and skill level, so things fall back on politics.

I think that from a product and roadmap standpoint we have some good ideas and with the right leadership in sales and support that we can execute. I wouldn't be upset to see better people in certain key roles.

Love it!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about working at Rackspace is working with smart, driven and intelligent people!

Cons

It can be difficult to disconnect from work.

We need focus more on preparing new leaders when they are promoted into management.

Things are changing

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It seems that the company is trying to find itself, which is better than what they have been doing in the past.

Cons

-no competitive pay for the work you are expected to due
    -middle management has no idea how to manage people
    -senior people leaving, but getting mediocre people in return

-cut dead weight (managers/techs)
    -redo your interview process. too many people get booted because 1 person did not like them. you are losing some great candidates from this methodology of hiring.

So far so good with some bumps in the road.

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere, Competitive, CORE values

Cons

Constant growing pains, Constant change

Low pay, which Culture can never make up for....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

- company culture
    - great technical folks
    - some training

Cons

- low pay
    - no upward mobility
    - middle management that doesn't have a clue
    - empty promises

Learn about servant leadership, and start Enabling and Empowering the folks that work for you!