Rackspace

Updated 14 December, 2014
Updated 14 December, 2014
3.6

Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Lead Infrastructure Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Infrastructure Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

I have been in the IT industry for many years and through many different companies. IT is tough, long hours, high demands and the constant changing technology trends make it a risk for burn out. Rackspace rewards it's staff for hard work and employees people that are either the top of their fame or have the potential and enthusiasm to get there. The culture identifies that the demands put on you are strenuous and tries to ease that by rewards and an essence of fun. Most staff are engaged in what they do and that leads to a relaxed atmosphere. Staff are approachable and are happy to interact on personal levels to form strong relationships.
    Rackspace is a very open company. Management don't seem to have hidden agendas, financial updates are constantly given, strategies are explained to the staff and managers are treated as advisors rather than authoritative dictators. All managers are approachable right up to the CEO and they take time to find out a little more about you as a person.

Cons

Rackspace on boarding process is long and drawn out. If you think you are going to start your job on day one you are mistaken. In someways it eases you in to your role but in others after a couple of months of the softly softly approach you just want to get on with something meaty.
    If you want job and sit in the same position for years this is not the company for you. Most people who make it in the company move roles every 18-24months.
    If you are introverted and can't make friends outside of your team the culture is wasted on you and you will not succeed here. Taking part in activities, walking up to someone's desk randomly and asking how their day went and giving back to the community is the way forward for any new recruit. The company is large and you will just become a number if you don't network with people.
    This year has been a tough year for rackspace globally. CEO quits, share prices drop, aws and asure become more powerful and rackspace loses it's way a bit. New CEO and strategy to put the service in front of everything else shows me that rackspace and the management team are setting off on the right track.

The tools we use are all over the place. We need a project with a number of departments input to standardise and unify them.
    Regions need to be a bit more integrated. Sone teams tool out only in the US which has some benefits but we should have some champions in other regions.

Excellent people centric company to work for....

Current Employee - Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Blacksburg, VA (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management that truly cares, good plan for the future, constant technical opportunities and challenges, great work environment.

Cons

Improve a few of the time off benefits

Great place to be - Not what it once was - some ways better some ways not

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Racker for 4.5 years left post-IPO and came back 10 months later - Culture has changed in many ways but core of the culture remains. I've now been back almost 4 years and don't plan on leaving again. Training opportunities are better than any other place I've been. There are some middle managers that seem to have more focus on metrics than getting the team but there are more that focused on their team first.

Cons

compensation and other politics are the main reason I've seen others go however those have also had relocation to other parts of the country - I've seen no one leave and stay local - also some decisions have been made that were good for business but not handled / communicated within the core values

Remember Full Disclosure - Bad news First - some internal comms have NOT been handled well and addressed officially AFTER being called out on internal channels

Amazing is not enough to describe this place!

Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many say that the people and culture make Rackspace unique and I agree. The motto "work hard play hard" is very true. Rackspace is a very fast paced environment and be careful not to overwork yourself. Remember that a lunch hour exists (I am guilty of that). Other Rackers have told me that they work way more than 8 hour days because they get so involved in what they are doing (because they love it), they loose track of time!

Also, if you see something you want to change to make life easier for you, your team, or a customer, you are encouraged to do it!

Also, if you are a Mac person, you can use a Mac. If you are a jeans and flip flops person, you can wear that. Rackspace encourages you to be yourself and does not force you to fit into a mold!

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Ya'll are doing a great job!

Phenomenal culture - this company is going places....

Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Superb workplace, managers & leaders truly care about the workforce. Core values are embedded throughout the organisation. Many opportunities to grow professionally. Everyone has a voice and encouraged to use it. Constant focus on employee engagement to continually improve. No one at Rackspace rests on their laurels! Good pay & benefits. Flexible working opportunities. Huge drive to ensure every employee feels a valued member & knows their contribution to the strategic mission. Very low employee turnover in comparison to other tech companies as a result (& even lower rates of unwanted regrettable leavers). This place truly rocks!

Cons

Poor performers & employees with entitlement issues not removed fast enough, leaving great staff carrying unfaîr share of workload. Long hours can sometimes be a challenge. Very picky in recruitment which can further lead to the pressure. Don't come to Rackspace unless you are of the sort that wants to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in!

Ramp up efforts to get great talent through the door & keep focus on developing & engaging them once they're here.

Great company. HIGHLY political.

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Loved the high energy work environment. Lots of smart people doing interesting things and high willingness to engage in problem solving.

Cons

Middle management terrible. Senior management out of touch. Politics and favoritism rampant.

Politics drive your career

Current Employee - SSE in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - SSE in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, can learn a lot and make new friends

Cons

You need to play the political game to get anywhere in this company. The other reviewers also mention it, so please, keep this in mind when working here. Pay is also below average and do not let hr fool you when they say your bonus makes up for the low salary because the payout is all over the place.

treat people equally instead of who brown noses to mgmt

In growing up, Rackspace has lost a bit of the culture that made it such a great place to work

I worked at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid product offering, fantastic customer support

Cons

Instability at the Sr.Leadership level

4 years Racker

Current Employee - Account Manager II in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager II in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

company cares about you, laid back, good leadership

Cons

wasteful in the wrong areas.

Great please to learn how to make things at scale

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be exposed to some of the largest deployments in the world, and learn how to make them scale up. There is lots of opportunity for growth. If you work hard and are good at what you do you can move up quickly. If you get bored and like to move around there is plenty of opportunity for that too. The people are great and generally speaking have a good attitude and enjoy being at work. Every team I have been on was very close and most former and current team members will be friends for life.

Cons

Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult. The internet is NEVER closed. Make sure to maximize your salary before you start because if you start with a low salary its difficult to get it corrected. Ive seen many people leave for money only to return 6 months to a year later because it was the only way they could get their salary corrected. It also seems like if you dont work on something directly related to OpenStack or support you can be treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Take care of your current employees salaries so they dont feel like they have to leave to get what they are worth.