Rackspace Reviews

Updated 23 April, 2015
607 reviews filtered by
3.3
Taylor Rhodes

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them) (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments (in 33 reviews)

• Sometimes the work life balance can be difficult (in 13 reviews)

1. Developer Advocate

Current Employee - OpenStack .NET Developer Advocate in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - OpenStack .NET Developer Advocate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits, the pay, the people, the product, the culture ... everything is just fantastic. I've worked at a lot of places over my 35+ years in the industry, so I know what most company's are like, and believe me; Rackspace is a top notch company.

Cons

As a remote worker, you sometimes feel left out of events at headquarters. Our team does a great job of mitigating that, but others in the company need some help with this.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

2. Software developer II

Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace

Pros

Flexibility, good talent, nice work areas, good benefits, gym.

Cons

Lack of direction from leadership at times.

It's been great but after 8 years it might be time for a change.

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Rackspace has been a great company to work for in the last 8 years and counting. It has been an amazing learning experience for me and I appreciate all the tools I have added to my toolkit during the years. I really like the work/life balance that the company provides- and also the many perks such as paid time off, 401K and benefits.

Cons

My concerns are around strategy and accountability- I need to know what my goals are and sometimes these change quite often based on thin air.
    Sales quotas are set on a monthly basis so it is difficult to be strategic at times because you go from month to month and never have the chance to take vacation time unless you hit your quotas early enough during the month--or you can, but you're not going to be @ goal if you are not on the floor selling day after day. Processes and tools are lacking in some fronts causing effectiveness to suffer.

Advice to Management

I know your jobs are tough, my uttermost respect to you but we need direction... and good leaders that are accountable and follow through.

5. Incredible company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rackers
    Office
    Culture
    Pay
    Be yourself
    Lack of hierarchy - managers are generally good

Cons

Hayes
    Snap strategy decisions
    Lack of documentation
    Salaries are woefully variable - to get a payrise threaten to leave

Advice to Management

Plan more, invest in more enterprise grade planning

6. A fantastic place for an internship

Current Intern - Intern II in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Intern - Intern II in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is simply incredible. You work at a place where you feel accepted and valued even as an intern. The employees whom I work with are all driven, intelligent and are devoted to the company. I have learned so much in my brief time at Rackspace, and look forward to continuing my internship further.

Cons

This is definitely a challenging period of Rackspace's existence. Coming off of a couple difficult quarters, the morale at the company is definitely at a low (but is definitely improving). The senior management recognizes this, has realigned the company and is working to improve this.

The company culture is definitely a shock to some people. It is polarizing in that you love it or hate it. Thankfully their interview and "vetting" process is long and rigorous, and it generally only allows in employees who fit with the relaxed culture of Rackspace.

Advice to Management

There are definitely organization problems related to the company's size and disparate teams. Each team has a different "end goal" in mind, and this shows in how information and work flows. There is often a clash between the goals of the support teams, product teams and CFO teams that create operational problems. This is not an easy problem to fix, but the end goal between the teams needs to be more appropriately aligned.

7. Cloud WebHosting Done Right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for. Amazing culture and benefits are just some of the reasons to become a Racker.

Cons

The cloud business and especially web hosting can be a fickle beast. Cost cutting by others in the industry makes it difficult

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you grew up doing the best, and that is fanatical support. Couple that with the cloud and really keep it up. Live it, don't just give it lip service.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayes, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In 25+ years in IT, I have rarely worked in an environment with such a high proportion of committed, enthusiastic, energetic and (usually) expert colleagues. This definitely makes Rackspace a rewarding place to work

Cons

The flip side of working alongside the committed, high-energy colleagues is that you are expected to deliver results, and constantly raise the bar. This is no bad thing, but equally anyone looking for an easy ride should probably not apply

Advice to Management

Keep focused, don't get distracted, stay scrappy. Fight the culture of entitlement, and make sure Rackers work as hard and smart today as they did "back in the day". We are getting better all the time, and the only thing that will pull us down is when we feel we deserve a seat at the top table ~by right~

A disappointing decline

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Rackspace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented, hard-working people at Rackspace and you may get to work with them. Some of the tech they work on is new and interesting, and working for Rackspace is (currently) seen as good experience on a resume. Depending on your team, you may be able to maintain a relatively sane work-life balance.

Cons

Rackspace has never been known for competitive pay and their raises leave much to be desired. The culture that people came and stayed for is now gone, thanks to the new CEO. Many benefits have been cut or removed (including stipends for teams to have events, spending on conferences and learning opportunities, and sabbaticals). There was also a rash of layoffs at the start of 2015 without any transparency as to why we were laying off hundreds of people, except that it was not related to job performance.

Although I was lucky enough to have an exceptional manager, many do not - and middle management is as bloated as always with people who were not given a technical career track option and have no aptitude for management. Expectations of managers have continued to be poorly defined (should I be a people manager, a technical manager, or an individual contributor?) and there are very few who can accomplish all three objectives well. Politics are absolutely rampant now - promotion decisions are made in bars and hallway discussions and do a disservice to the company by continuing to promote people who are better at canoodling than running an effective organization.

Work-life balance depends entirely on your team and manager. There are a lot of incompetent and/or lazy people who have made their way into the company during previous growth phases and Rackspace does a poor job of asking those people to leave. "A" players are often forced to work the extra hours to make up for their lackluster team mates in the spirit of "fanaticism". Truly fanatical Rackers have burned out and left.

Advice to Management

Bring back the core values and culture, or pay your employees well enough that they stop caring.

Get rid of middle managers who are clearly not meant for management, or give them individual contributor opportunities where they can successful.

10. Rackers are the best people you'll know!

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Rackers are amazing. The culture is great and the customers see us as partners and not a vendor.

Cons

Growing pains and a lot of Leadership changes.

Advice to Management

Start paying the talent, too many Rackers leaving for better pay.

11. Lead Generation Specialist

I worked at Rackspace

Pros

Amazing place to work with people who only want to build you up for success!

Cons

There are no cons I could think of.