Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon(in 10 reviews)

Was better

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Prosgood overall, freedom, good people working there

Consits who you know, not what you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with talent, not friends

Great place to learn and grow, top notch training programs, exceptional benefits, but only average in salary offering.

Linux Systems Administrator II (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsI have almost exclusively glowing praise for working at Rackspace.
    Training - There's a "Rackspace University" training program which will help to get you certified in a variety of IT certifications. All certifications are reimbursed. Training materials are also reimbursed. I obtained a RHCE, CCNA and Security+. Management lets you pursue what training you desire to take.
    Benefits - Humana, flex card, HSA, dental, vision, a rather generous 6% matched 1-to-1 401k plan, stock purchase, free physical therapy on site if at Texas locations. Quarterly profit sharing bonus.
    Real management - There's a lot less management BS, Rackspace's hiring process tends to pick top-notch people and there's less pointy haired bosses and a lot more constructive management. I felt engaged in what I was doing and motivated to do more. I've never worked at a company where I felt so actively involved and satisfied with my work.
    Name Recognition - Having worked for Rackspace is a bright shiny gold star on your resume.

ConsThe primary con was the salary offering, which is average at best. I would still be at Rackspace if I hadn't received an offer that Rackspace could not compete with. I wasn't even job hunting, they found me.
    The secondary con is based upon the primary con, there's enough attrition happening because of better salary offers elsewhere, it's difficult to maintain teams with high levels of training and sometimes I would be doing the workload of several employees.

Culture is great

ProsCulture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance. They're trying to build out the benefits package and it's getting better and better all the time.

ConsSalary isn't always competitive with similar positions at other employers. It can also be difficult to move to another business unit and easy to become pigeonholed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazing culture isn't always a great replacement for salaries

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Company to work for!!!!

Account Coordinator III (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsOnly the best people work here...

ConsRackspace is growing too fast. The only downside is not knowing everyone like I did 6yrs ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Great People, Good Company

Account Manager II (Current Employee)

ProsYou are on the leading edge of the technology industry, along side some amazing people and products. Good work life balance. Company to grow as an individual through trial, error and training. Core value of Friends and Family, who else has that !?! Racker's work is always done with great intention at heart to continually serve our customers as best we can.

ConsMight have to be willing to move to advance your career. Lots of products, lots of non standard processes. We should be better at some of the stuff we do by now.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it simple and back to basics.

Unique

Inside Sales (Current Employee)

Prosthe people make this place what it is! great folks who treat you like family and bend over backwards to help with anything

Conssystems are archaic and painful

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople growth in specific departments as the business keeps growing

Great culture and great benefits

Datacenter Operations Technician (Current Employee) Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

ProsRackspace has a unique culture similar to that Google promotes. Lots of great events and perks such as benefits and private health care. The company has great company values which are followed to high a level throughout the company.

ConsWorking between the teams can be a challenge but something Rackspace is listening to resolve.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore great benefits to make us feel proud of working for the company. Like more merchandise would be great!

The most interesting and fun place to work

Windows Systems Administrator II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsAlways evolving, always changing, seriously, wait half a day and the whole spectrum of your work can change from one subject to another.

ConsPay could be a little better for the amount of work you do in a day, but overall really, it's pretty good pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on unifying teams, more networking can me faster support times.

High Stress!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsI've gotten to know some good, talented people.

ConsWhere do I begin? Too many changes too fast. Too many managers, most of whom are trying to make a name for themselves at all costs. Lots of back stabbing, high school level politics, good old boy mentality. Too many products, many of which aren't ready for prime time. No formal tech training for anyone associated with sales. Extremely high expectations that are unrealistic especially if you have a family. Big time disconnect between senior management and the rank and file. Low, low pay and medicore benefits. Of all the jobs I've had at other tech companies... Rackspace is easily the worst experience I've had and continues to be. I've even had to see a psychologist about the stress. Guess what... that psychologist said he has lots of patients from Rackspace. Not a good sign.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are so many changes needed but one is to try and bring back the "friends and family" culture that made Rackspace stand out years ago. Oh it's talked about but I haven't really seen it in the 5 years I've been with the company.

Great work enviorment

Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsAmazing people and culture; love the family here.

ConsUnder-payed for the industry; located in San Antonio...

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!