Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great, fun place to work

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsIt's a great place to work. Different culture compared to other companies.

ConsA growing company so there's always a lot of change.

Started out great, four years later, AWFUL!!!

DCOPS Technician Level II (Current Employee)
Elk Grove Village, IL (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFour years ago it was awesome, still had that startup feel and benefits. Somewhere along the line Rackspace went corporate, and downhill fast. The fanatical support that they so proudly advertise, no such thing, all it is is just trying to see who can make the boss the happiest while making everyone else pissed off.

ConsIt sucks. If you like backstabbing, brown-nosing, and favoritism, this is the place for you, it is the company motto. If you are disabled, don't even bother, everyone I worked with who was disabled, ended up out of a job. Worst place I have ever worked!

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the startup mentality, because the company is going to end up in the gutter.

Great company

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRackspace is a great company. Lots of opportunities for those who want to make their own way. You can be an entrepreneur with the company.

ConsRackspace is a great company, but it is growing quickly into a big company. That can be a good thing- less rapid change, more formal programs- but it can also be a bad thing if you want more of a startup culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep a place for innovators as you grow. I've seen some of the companies best entrepreneurial minds leave recently. This can hurt in the long run.

7 years of watching this place grow

Storage (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can re-create yourself here. The opportunities to move forward with your career in really in your own hands.

ConsWe are (in some areas) slowly becoming that big company. Not all change is good.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember pre 8-8-8!!!

Rackspace core values only on banners

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart people to work with

ConsDictatorial Management. Sweat shop. No recognition of hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease practice core values and listen to the ground level employees. Go back 5 yrs in terms of practicing core values and genuinely caring for employees and not just power

Poor Management

ServiceNow Developer (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Rackspace as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe atmosphere among the workers seems positive at first. After awhile, you start to see the overwhelming pressure they are under and the long hours they're working. I came in as a contractor (to hire). I expected I would have to work very hard to prove myself, but was shocked when I saw what the FTE employee's had to do just to stay employed. I enjoyed the few chances I got to play foosball, and go down the slide or play street fighter on the arcade machine. Also the food trucks and events like "Racktoberfest" were pretty neat. Halloween was great, costume contests, you can see the brilliant creativity come out from the very intelligent and talented staff.

ConsI was a developer on the * Team. The first week I was there my manager sat me down and told me that she was in the process of firing the senior developer on our team and that I needed to step up to meet his duties. I informed her that I would need at least a month to get up to speed and be able to take on some of his roles. 2 weeks went by, and I was sat down again, this time with the manager and one of the FTE employees on the team where the manager threatened to fire us both if we didn't start displaying SME like behavior. It was at that point I began looking for another job. After the first month, a girl from another team transferred to ours. After two weeks of working for our manager, she ended up going right back to her previous job. She was unable to voice any of her concerns because it's well known that if you cross the * manager, you'll quickly find yourself filling out unemployment paperwork. I was expected to work at least 10 hours a day, and when I did I was only supposed to bill 8 hours (as I was a contractor). Another contractor pulled me aside one day after the manager had threatened to fire someone else on our team right in front of everyone and told me that that was just what the manager does to keep you motivated. She knows that will make you work harder, and get more done. After two months of my time spent there, I got a job offer with less pay and was more than happy to take it. I feel so sorry for the staff that report to that manager, and I'm hoping that this review will help prevent anyone from making the mistake of moving their family across the country only to end up working for one of the worst people I've ever met in my entire professional career.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy hope is that human resources will see the amount of turn over in the * team and realize the issue is not the staff, it is the management style of the manager. She clearly suffers from a bi-polar disorder and uses fear and negative reinforcement as her way of managing the team. They are under incredible amounts of stress to keep their job, and make sure she is happy. They laugh at her jokes the same way people laugh in SNL skits about Kim Jung Un. Her threats and her bully tactics will always work because San Antonio doesn't have much else to offer as far as technology jobs go. I was fortunate and was easily able to move away due to some very lucrative investments I had made. I fear the worst for that team, and truly hope that manager either gets promoted away from it, or terminated and replaced with someone who understands cloud technology and the best practices around developing it. That manager has no idea how any of that works, and would be the first to tell you that. Then turn right around and threaten to fire you because you aren't doing it fast enough. The more turn-over you experience as a result of this manager, the quicker Rackspace will go on the list of places tech grads will avoid. The internet moves very fast, you need to do your best to keep up, and you certainly are not in this situation.

Good luck.

Future unset

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun culture and great legacy staff

ConsNew senior leadership means starting fresh even if you helped build the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider some of the things senior staff did to help the company over the last 5 years before passing judgement on last quarters results. The products and services are dated and outclassed by a more competitive marketplace.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Avoid if you are experienced and want to step up to strategic roles - you may end up in a dead end job you don't enjoy.

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the people working here are great and extremely smart.

ConsLeadership at this company is extremely bad - no clear vision at all.

Middle management is extremely bad to the point where it will be come detrimental to the company - very inexperienced and the experience they have is not relevant to their roles, promoting themselves to the point of failure.

Some of the goals you have to attain as part of your reviews have nothing to do with your job role creating more work and pointless tick boxes for the employees who are already over worked.

Very large gaps in their "Fanatical Support" model - not really for enterprise customers fine for SMB's.

Constantly having to fill in gaps in the support model to the point where certain employees are acting as the glue that hold the whole thing together.

The culture at this company has been lost a long time ago and at the moment it's just keeping up appearances.

Very few employees live up to the core values especially some of the middle management.

Salary is ok nothing amazing benefits are standard I have seen better packages out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers who can't manage or just don't have the skills for management.

"Fanatical Support" does not work for enterprise customers follow a proper support model that works.

Some of the roles are being misused to fill in huge gaps in the support model which is a complete waste of peoples skills and extremely demotivating - fix this or you will keep churning employees and these guys genuinely love the company.

Culture really doesn't exist at this company any more and that is being said by "Rackers" who have been here for 7 to 8 years - might be time to take a step back and find out where it's got lost.

Stop focusing so much on Amazon and see the wider picture there are other competitors out there who are a much bigger threat to Amazon and Rackspace combined.

Stop pushing back products due to knee jerk reactions. Employ Programme Managers, Project Managers, more developers and testers so you can contribute more to the Openstack project or Redhat will end up being the defacto leader of Openstack.

You need to have proper project managers for implementations, modifications to customer solutions and re-architectures. Not having these places a huge burden on the account management teams.

Not all that glitters is (genuine) gold...

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

ProsFun people, fun concept, fun vision, great sense of teams at almost every turn

ConsSmoke and mirrors, poorly trained/experienced leadership, low priority placed on employee training/development compared to "big boy" companies. Lots of talk about culture from talking heads. It gets real after about 90 days and most people realize the joke is on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell this thing to someone who can handle it. Hint: It's not Taylor Rhodes and Graham Weston.

Was great. Losing it's values and respect for culture.

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, and pay. Work environment and dedication to Racker communication.

ConsPoorly trained middle managers and weak HR department.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on yourselves and spend some time with those that "got you there".

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews are posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.