Rackspace

www.rackspace.com

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros
  • Culture is amazing and I've never had more a better work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Great culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon(in 10 reviews)

Good place to work there

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsIt is okay types company... if you don't have any other offer, then go for it

Conshings vary from project to project/ team to team... always be ready to move out and search for new opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementGood place to work

Fanatically unstable

Windows Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros10% quarterly bonus (if your lucky)
    Flexible work schedule

ConsHard to work your way up unless you are in certain 'cliques'
    bonuses are there but they are unreliable
    Pay is low for market and keeps getting lower the longer you stay

Advice to Senior Managementafter hours should never be an after thought, and pay should be brought up to market, not "target", for everyone atleast every few years, for those who even stay that long if for no other reason than to show appreciation of the job they are doing(but all this is a pipe dream). Transparency and full disclosure shouldn't be to just are customers but to everyone

So much promise

Linux Systems Administrator (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

Pros"Culture" though not nearly what it once was, is still a standout.

ConsLargely incompetent middle management. Senior management seems out-of-touch with reality. Front-lines are woefully understaffed and overworked. "Fanatical Support" has become mostly marketing B.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll-too-frequent changes in product and company focus suggest that you don't have a clear vision. Get your fundamentals in order: the billing system is a disaster and after all this time you still don't have a functional replacement. Put an immediate stop to implementing untested system changes in Production, and hold development teams accountable for their shoddy work. Pay attention to the negative customer comments in NPS and actually do something about them instead of just cherry picking positive customer comments to make yourselves feel better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoy going to work each day - positive work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsCreative freedom; personal growth is encouraged; helpful co-workers; work hard / play hard environment; great work-life balance; can work from home if necessary; always lots of free food around; free soda, tea, coffee, etc.; diverse group of people from around the world; good benefits; gym with free yoga, crossfit, etc.; learning environment; low toleration for negativity

ConsToo many meetings; heavy middle management; compensation seems lower than average; environment can be distracting if you are not a people-person

The company is alive!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people are fantastic. Real human beings. Learning per moment is the highest pretty much anywhere, including start-ups. It's a great place to work if you love change.

ConsThe two cons are A) the place has an excessively high rate of change. If you eat change for lunch, this place is for you. However, B) the culture of individual heroics means that "Rackers" don't tend to get rewarded for preventing problems, developing essential processes, or being operationally excellent except in pockets. As a result, there's a lot of "dive & save" kinds of activities, far more than necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some amazing unsung heroes, Rackers who are behind the scenes making the company great. Find them. Reward them. Figure out how to keep them.

The diversity and Family and friends atmosphere is one of the best assets of this company

Space Planner (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThey have flexible work times and schedules and they take the time to educate you on upcoming or previous products.

ConsSome rackers feel a bit to "at home" and they don't take care a lot of the furniture and things that are given to them. Some areas of the castle are really dirty, messy, and has a funky smell..

Company of Geeks

Community Affairs (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsThe people are what make this company truly the best place to work on earth.

ConsAs we grow its harder to know every single person in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

The Fanatical Support is wonderful

Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsA wonderful way to grow at your career. Its a place where you can find your dream job.

ConsNo Cons. The place is awesome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture of fanatical support alive.

Love every minute!

ProsGreat culture and endless opportunities (if you earn them)

ConsWe are treated so well that some of the employees feel entitled to certain privileges

Rackspace is a people-focused organization, great culture.

Pros-A lot of room for growth
    -Great culture and working with great people
    -Employees encouraged to take initiative
    -Work life balance

Cons-Can move slow at times since it's mid-sized
    -HQ in San Antonio

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!