Rackspace
www.rackspace.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Rackspace Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Graham Weston

Pros:
  • "Lots of compensations, great list of benefits, managers listen to your work-life balance needs"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great culture and people with lots of talents around that you could learn from"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management is the worst I've seen in my career in most departments"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge - not nearly as bad as Amazon"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Immature and getting worse

Technical Project Manager III (Former Employee)

I worked at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance. Positive attempts at promoting good atmosphere overall.
Good people generally.

ConsCompany seems to think drink stations and swag are substitutes for livelihood, unless you're an exec.
Too much like a startup, yet too big to be thinking like one.
Expertise runs last place to charisma and the buddy system .
Cultural aversion to accountability and advancement.
Constructive criticism is viewed as naysaying.
Organization is too vertical. A manager can be seen for every 4-5 reports. It's easy to watch crappy mid and Sr level management pretend they actually have to do anything.
They keep an insurance rep for their plan in the building. They say it's for better communication, but the benefits people just seem to be well 'lobbied' by the rep. No conflict of interest there.
Too many managers in critical areas that don't have the experience or a clue how to manage the group they're responsible for as they have no expertise in such an area in the first place. Placed there by good olé boys club.
Kool aid is the opium to suppress the company's internal problems and risks and discourages people from caring about a company they are passionate about.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the ra - ra mentality with everything that happens there. Own up to what works and what doesn't and quit deluding yourselves and rackers from the reality. Stop the chaotic decision making and get into the modern era with information from data. And no I don't mean dumb dashboards and spreadsheets. Let the people who know how to do those things at an advanced level raise the bar so we can know what things we can do differently or better and change our company around.

Great when I started, but now it is horrible

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart co workers
Great Friends
My pay is good because I had a rare manager who saw the good work I am doing.

Consmanagers have a buddy system and protect each other. In my 7 years there, I have seen it since day 1. We are trying to compete against the major players with openstack instead of doing what we do best, providing a managed service.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to see a trend that it is about who you know, not what you know in order to get promoted. A lot of high end techs are seeing this trend and are looking for other jobs.

Sunny with storms in the horizon

I have been working at Rackspace

ProsRelaxed place to work. You have some great people here and at times can be fun.

ConsIt's not what you know but whom you know. Favortism runs high here. Weak managers, pay, and lack of training.

Advice to Senior Management“By not treating everyone equally, a manager is fostering a sense of resentment and separation that can de-motivate employees and damage team unity, Also, by focusing attention on particular employees, it’s easy to overlook growth opportunities and unique skill sets offered by others.”

Great company - going to Good?

Concerned Racker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people and a great industry full of potential growth and innovation

ConsGrowth and external pressures are serious forces to be dealt with and challenging the culture. Very young and inexperienced SLT that has bounced left/right repeatedly and drug the company/Rackers through a difficult patch for the past 2 years

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat got you here won't get you there.....the things that worked in the past 16 years are not what's going to get Rackspace to the next level of growth. Focus and invest on what we do well, then go execute like madmen/women to get it done. Pick a path and go hard - don't waffle or choose multiple paths and become the proverbial "inch deep and a mile wide". No one wins that game.

Love this place!!

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCooperative, Collaborative, Stregnths-Oriented, Service-Focused culture

Consrapidly growing, changing company still in its infancy. Additional process, procedure, structure needed to help company scale more effectively

Love my job

Linux Administrator I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great benefits
- I am encouraged to promote and better myself
- I actually like coming in to work
- Allowed to manage work and home life easily because of flexible management
- My team is awesome and we all work off each others' strengths
- On site Gym, catered food, soda fountains, games, a miniature golf course, and a slide. What more could you ask for?

ConsIt would be cool if there was an arcade, but other than that, the place is amazing!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever lose sight of the core ideologies because they make Rackspace special

It's not what you know, it's who you know

Software Quality Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than a year

Pros-Culture is laid back. T-shirt, shorts, flip flops are ok
-Plenty of opportunities to learn
-Peers are open to mentoring you
-Great benefits and company activities
-Pay is based on prior experience

Cons-No clear direction from upper management, which makes projects very stressful and deadlines/goals are hazy
-Non-managerial employees: Plenty of times you find yourself trying to determine what you should be working on and leading projects instead of getting managerial input
-No matter how much work you do, make sure you know and inter-mingle with others outside of your team. Otherwise, your work will go unnoticed

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish more processes and standards and ensure that these are carried out. Many times there are no standards at all, and if there are, no one promotes them to be followed

The best place I have ever worked.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsIT professions struggle in smaller shops to progress to the next level. You have to wait for someone to leave to move up and exposure to new Tech/learning is sometimes slow. Not at Rackspace. The company has numerous IT related positions with almost limitless opportunity. Many Rackers enter the company as Account Managers, Windows Systems Administrators or Linux Systems Administrators, but those folks are often afforded opportunities commensurate with their contributions and talent. Rackers have moved on to become Engineers and Leaders in different departments based on their passion and drive. If you want to move on to Virtualization, Cloud, SharePoint, Exchange, Storage, DBA, Development, Automation...it goes on and on, you can do it if you learn and collaborate well. Techs grow faster at Rackspace given their exposure to a wide array of technologies. It truly is amazing to see so many folks grow so fast and to love the place they work.

ConsPay increases can be slow, but the current leadership seems to be fixing that. Getting in Rackspace can be tough, but once you are in, the world is your oyster. The more you put in the more you get back.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the Whack in the Rack.

Great place to start

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time

ProsExcellent Job Benefits and Pay For Individual Contributors, if you negotiate well going in
You have the opportunity to make a difference day one.

ConsIf you are not in the core functions (Sales, Support, Dev), little or no career progression.
No career planning or structure
constant org changes, poor change management
Corporate ADD

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to fully bake your initiatives before you start them, so when we have an annual kick-off we are still tracking those targets by Q2 and haven't moved on to the next shiny object, and stop being distracted by the stock price.

Amazing

Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Rackspace full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork Culture and Fun place to work for.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Rackspace? Contribute to the Community!

Rackspace Videos

Rackspace – Why Work for Us?

Rackspace Hosting is the world’s leading specialist in hosting and cloud computing. The San Antonio-based company provides Fanatical Support® to its customers, across a portfolio of IT services, including Managed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rackspace reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Rackspace CEO Graham Weston. All 401 reviews are posted anonymously by Rackspace employees.