RWE npower

Updated Mar 03, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul Massara

employees are told they are valued but command and control is still very much in charge

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at RWE npower

Prosgood development opportunities and room to move around the business. Lots of good people at grass roots level create a good working atmosphere in local teams

Conslots and lots of change over the past few years has meant that there was hardly any time to catch your breath and any thought of putting people first and valuing them whilst all this has been going on all but went out the window. There is good intent at senior level but the values and behaviours that go on the wall aren't the ones displayed by many managers, who appear to take a 'do as i say not as i do' approach. All in all leaving you feeling worthless with very little to offer professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage poor performance throughout the organisation. Not just at grass roots level but with managers who make their employees life so unhappy that they don't want to do a good job for you. Perhaps introduce compulsory 360 degree feedback for managers as well as employees.

Good while it lasted

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at RWE npower for more than 10 years

ProsGood rewards package; salary, pensions, holiday, site facilities etc
Lots of work to be done in a changing and challenging environment

ConsCompany restructuring has caused some co-lateral damage; dissatisfied employees and a management structure that is not working (yet)
Role of PM has been downgraded

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with customer to say 'No' to 3rd party costs
Review operating structure and ensure correct number of resources employed doing the required tasks

Interesting industry

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at RWE npower full-time for more than a year

ProsChange is coming and culture is changing

ConsIndustry is always under criticism

A good career start point

Settlements Analyst (Former Employee)
Worcester, England (UK)

I worked at RWE npower full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly atmosphere, great career prospects if you apply yourself. Can easily move within the company to change your role.

ConsWhen I worked there our office got moved 30 miles away, so I had to commute further on a busy route.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that there are some brilliant employees working lower in the company. Keep nurturing the talent.

Some great managers but also some poor managers

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)
Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at RWE npower as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe new culture that the company CEO Paul Massara has roled out alongside the customer transformation programme is definitely the way forward. This new look at how the business approaches its customers will enhance the comapnys reputation and help it to retain the existing and new customers it works hard to maintain.

ConsThe staff are complacent and change resistant. Management have a tendancy to Silo channels of workloads, instead of thinking end to end solutions. The chain of communications has been aided recently with skip level meetings, but the changes being roled out are being met by resistant staff due to failed previous role outs, and communication battles outside of the skip level meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe discipline of staff at one particular site is very minimal and the feeling that people are allowed to get away with unnacepable behaviours breeds more and more staff who think this way. A stricter management role needs to start dealing with the people who turn up to get paid ratherthan those who turn up to do the best for the customers. Less hierarchy is needed to be able to get issues dealt with at lower levels. Hr need to be more involved and the union less so.

Fairly slow paced

Assistant Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at RWE npower full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNot stressful, good worklife balance.
Generally willing to invest resources in training.
Nice office with good restaurant .
Gym (apparently).

ConsSlow progression, benefits and flexibility could be better.
Recent reduction in staff has resulted in lower levels of expertise.
Achievement and exceptional results not rewarded / distinguished.
Uninspiring location.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter rewards for performance.
Clearer strategy

Haphazard, political and poorly organised.

Worcester, England (UK)

I have been working at RWE npower full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and pay are above average for tech role.

Good colleagues to work with at ground level, some of which are highly talented and underrated.

Some improvements to delivery areas in recent times.

ConsSenior Management not understanding their sub-teams treating them in a broad brush manner with edicts, showing inflexibility and lack of understanding especially of how technical teams work.

Highly politicised, focusing on what the perception of the team is to other departments.

Feels like a lack of trust in their staff to do the job.

Poor planning, with unreasonable expectations of delivery in some areas.

Constant Reshuffles / restructuring make the working environment feel uneasy and people demoralised.

Management and teams not communicating vertically or horizontally, with a lack of understanding or overview of what each team does.

there's a high turnover of permanent technical staff. Most seem to leave within a 12-18 month window, leaving one or two teams under-resourced and difficult to hire for. Contractors seem to wield more power and are treated better than permanent staff in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start treating people as humans, not as just a place in an org chart.

Understand more about how a delivery can happen within a team if you treat them as adults not children. Place your trust in your staff more to deliver and support them positively.

So long as the team delivers, it's all that matters. It should not be about how the outside view to other departments is. Good results will speak for themselves, so communicate genuine success.

Admit when things aren't going as well as you'd like, and communicate in an open and honest fashion if this is the case, not sweeping it under the carpet.

Make concerted effort to positively retain your staff by engaging with them in a sincere fashion. We're all trying to achieve the same thing for the greater good of the company and customer.

Great people, Healthy atmosphere

Senior Risk Analyst (Current Employee)
Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at RWE npower full-time for more than a year

ProsA lot of experienced people to learn from, a lot of oportunities to move between departments and subsidiries. Great for grads.

ConsSwindon is not the most pleasant city in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job, guys. I really enjoyed time in the company. It is just a time to move on.

keep their employee on top of any issues!

Marketing/Sales (Current Employee)
North Yorkshire, England (UK)

I have been working at RWE npower full-time for less than a year

Prosfull support and easy to progress

Consrecently they are cutting down on jobs.

Advice to Senior Managementhave employee feedback all the way to top in 1 annunal meeting.

Good Boss makes it all bearable.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Swindon, Gloucestershire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at RWE npower

ProsNice location, Good facilities, Free parking

ConsLittle known about life in the real world and real people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease thnk about being able to have staff take responsibilty for their actions and not seek to pass tasks and work on to other areas.....

Worked for RWE npower? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RWE npower reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for RWE npower CEO Paul Massara. All 17 reviews are posted anonymously by RWE npower employees.